• 1 Post By LouisaJessie
  • 1 Post By teesharky
  • 1 Post By Cps235
  • 2 Post By rainbow1
  • 1 Post By cole

Thread: Got Country: ALBUM REVIEW: Carrie Underwood 'Blown Away'

Got Country: ALBUM REVIEW: Carrie Underwood 'Blown Away'

ALBUM REVIEW: Carrie Underwood ‘Blown Away’

Blown Away, the fourth studio release for Carrie Underwood, offers an ambitious fourteen tracks, eight of which were co-written by the former American Idol contestant. The lead off single “Good Girl” has already been released, and is making a it’s way up the country charts. This is one of the tracks that Underwood helped pen, and musically, it is a very complex tune. Underwood is more than up to the challenge. Lyrically, it is a cautionary tale of a guy who is easy on the eyes, but hard on the heart…in the same vein as “Cowboy Casanova” and “Before He Cheats“, just a little edgier.

There are PLENTY of radio hits to be found on “Blown Away“. “One Way Ticket“, a girls night out, leave our cares behind and go to the show tropical themed party is sure to be a summer concert favorite. “Nobody Ever Told You“, about seeing beyond the mirror and into your inner beauty will strike a chord with the teen-to-twenty something crowd. “Two Black Cadillacs” is a catchy tune about revenge…perhaps THIS is what happens when he didn’t think next time, before he cheated? “Cupid’s Got A Shotgun” is a rollicking good time, featuring Brad Paisley‘s wicked nasty guitar work, and his unique brand of musical humor. “Wine After Whiskey” about trying to get over the love that was so strong, everything else just seems watered down, is my pick as the stand out ballad. The only song that really doesn’t belong here is the Mutt Lange penned “Who Are You?”. This one is just lyrically all over the place, and when it was over, I wasn’t asking who are you, but what in the world was that all about? I have listened to it several times, and still have no clue. Underwood’s voice even sounds strained, as if she doesn’t know, either.

The title track, “Blown Away“, is a very theatrical, somber tale of a girl trying to rid herself of the horrific memories of her childhood home. The picture it paints for me is that of Jenny, from the movie Forrest Gump, throwing rocks at the home that was the site of childhood abuse. It is a VERY powerful message, but it does seem to get a little lost in the heavy handed production. On the sometimes less is more track, two of the stand outs for me are “Good in Goodbye” and “Forever Changed“. The first is about seeing an old love, and realizing that you are both now in the right place, with the person you are supposed to be with. It is achingly honest, and Underwood’s emotional vocal is the only tool needed to make the point. “Forever Changed” is a sentimental look at the life of a woman now lost to Alzheimer’s. In the wrong hands, this track could have been maudlin, but the sweetness of Underwood’s voice and the simple arrangement keeping from becoming sappy. Both of these showcase Carrie’s amazing voice, and that is what blows me away. “Blown Away” is a solid release, and it further cements Carrie Underwood as a country force to be reckoned with.
    ALBUM REVIEW: Carrie Underwood ‘Blown Away’ » Got Country?
    Gator, hjj, _luvqry and 8 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Thanks! I love this-
    “Blown Away” is a solid release, and it further cements Carrie Underwood as a country force to be reckoned with.

Concert Stars
    Awesome! Love all the great reviews that are coming in.

The writer got a bit snarky with Who Are You, lol.

Thank you for posting! Loving all the reviews!!
    oldyfan likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    The writer got a bit snarky with Who Are You, lol.
    Underwood’s voice even sounds strained
    - the writer talking about WAY. It sounds far from strained...I don't know what version he is listening to...
    oldyfan and rainbow1 like this.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    This is a very good review and gives Carrie alot of praise for her vocals. For me this review emphasizes again how we can all listen to the same thing and yet each comes away hearing something different. What thrills me is that even with the personal differences in opinion when they reach the end they still proclaim BA a fantastic piece of work.
    rainbow1 and oldyfan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieUnderwoodismyHero View Post
    - the writer talking about WAY. It sounds far from strained...I don't know what version he is listening to...
    Haha...I just ignored that part like it wasn't even written...lol
    oldyfan and DaisyTweets like this.

Concert Stars
    don't like the WAY comments but good overall!
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Well, I think he just never got Who Are You at all. I mean even if you don't like it, most everyone got it. I think what he perceives as strained is just her use of a certain "voice" in singing about what to me is her obvious love for God. I don't even think he has a clue that that is probably what it is about. I mean she changes up her voice for each type of song on the album and I guess he just did not get that one. I will say it has as strong a vocals as any of them - maybe even stronger them some. And I don't think her voice gets lost in the production of BA at all. They actually did a great job of keeping the production just right for that song. However, the review was pretty good over all.

Good review! (But the writer obviously didn't listen very closely to WAY as claimed, because it's pretty clear what that song is about. Lol)
    oldyfan likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    It's a good review. I'm loving all these positive reviews that Blown Away is getting. Awesome! I'm in love with the album, it's perfection.
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Great review!!!

Not everyone will like every song but he liked 13 out of 14 so that is dang good! Lol
    oldyfan likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Good review! (But the writer obviously didn't listen very closely to WAY as claimed, because it's pretty clear what that song is about. Lol)
    I don't think it's that obvious. Even Carrie in the CW article says she didn't see a religious connection till Mark pointed it out.To me , and I'm sticking with this, it's the answer to a question ( well who am I to you? ) posed by a loved one .Say in the middle of an argument.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concert Stars
    I don't agree with what the reviewer said about Who You Are? Otherwise, a great review. Thanks for posting
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    I'll take it! It's so much better than they used to be!!
    oldyfan and Ann055 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    I don't think it's that obvious. Even Carrie in the CW article says she didn't see a religious connection till Mark pointed it out.To me , and I'm sticking with this, it's the answer to a question ( well who am I to you? ) posed by a loved one .Say in the middle of an argument.
    Your kidding? I can not believe Carrie would not know that sounds religious? But oh well if not. Before I heard it, I thought it was going to be a relationship song but did not think that after hearing it so that is a surprise.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pkc4rls View Post
    Your kidding? I can not believe Carrie would not know that sounds religious? But oh well if not.
    This. I cannot imagine Carrie not thinking it lol. Oh, well. I thought it was gonna be a religious song from the moment the tracklist leaked.

I like the relationship interpretation, though, because it reminds me of the same sort of relationship the narrator has with her guy in Nobody Knows. Like they're extensions of the same story. And since I'm still hurting over NK not making the album, WAY is almost like the real thing.

Concert Stars
    Great review...except for the way they handled WAY. I don't get why people aren't going for it. It was a perfect way to close out a perfect album, and I'm glad it's on there. I'm not at all "confused" by it. It goes right along with See You Again -- two vaguely religious songs that really showcase Carrie's faith, and why so many people will be able to relate to this music. I love it.
    carriecountrystar likes this.

Love this review!!!

•