Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Smokyiiis

Thread: Blown Away Review

Concert Stars

Blown Away Review

Carrie Underwood – ‘Blown Away’ review « pretty little girl.

May 1st, 2012 will mark the beginning of a new era for Country music superstar, Carrie Underwood. The Queen of Country is back with ‘Blown Away.’ The album is on a totally new level than her three previous albums. Overall it shows incredible growth as an artist, a songwriter, a vocalist, a performer, and as a person. It is her most Country-sounding album to date; at the same time, however, it has more variety than her first three releases.Good Girl – Obviously it’s been a while since this came out, and the response to it has been greatly positive. A lot of people are saying it isn’t very country, and they’re probably right. I, however, see everything Carrie does as at least a little bit Country. This is just a little bit Rock n’ Roll, also. Carrie has her own sub-genre of Country music it feels like, and this definitely falls under that category.
    ‘Good Girl’ was the perfect single to kick off the Blown Away era. It’ll be great in concert and it’s hard-core enough to get everyone’s attention. As far as first songs on an album goes, it’s also a perfect opener to this album, and will probably be what she opens with when she tours later this year.
    Blown Away – ‘Good Girl’ flows into the second track well. It makes the album take a darker turn, and it falls underneath that Carrie-Country genre I mentioned before.
    Carrie’s voice sounds absolutely incredible on this one, and I love her lower register. This will make a perfect second-single choice. It’s powerful and tells a story about a dysfunctional family, exactly what Country music is about. I can only imagine how the video will turn out. I personally love the backup vocals, and how her own voice echos behind the main vocals of the song.
    Two Black Cadillacs – I’m big on an album flowing together and telling stories, and making it an experience for the listener. You can tell they put a lot of great thought into the placement of the songs. ‘Two Black Cadillacs’ makes sense after the previous track. It continues the dark and powerful theme, telling the story of two women at their husband/lover’s funeral, respectively. The first time I heard this, it reminded me of Reba McEntire’s song ‘The Night That The Lights Went Out In Georgia.’ An aspect of this I love is the background music, particularly at the end, with the longer outro. It makes the song more powerful in my opinion, and it’s so different for Carrie. I like it.
    See You Again – This song is a completely different vibe, but it flows nicely from ‘Two Black Cadillacs.’ ‘See You Again’ was originally written for the movie “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Dawn Treader.” It was part of a writing session which produced three songs, one of which made it on to the movie (‘There’s A Place For Us’). ‘See You Again’ definitely sounds like a Disney song, and it would have fit perfectly in with the movie. This is one of my personal favorites on the album, and even though it would fit in great with a soundtrack, I think it makes the transition from the dark and powerful part of the album to the lighter, happier part make sense. It’s an optimistic view on goodbyes, and I feel it’s very relateable.
    Do You Think About Me – Another of my favorites, ‘Do You Think About Me’ tells a sweet story about an old love, and how they grew apart, and wondering if they still think about each other. The thing I love about the songs Carrie chooses for her album, is that they can all be interpreted in multiple ways. This is one of those songs about me, if it’s thought of from a metaphorical point of view.
    I could see this being a very successful single, if they choose to release it later this year or next year. It’s very traditional-sounding country in my opinion, and her voice just sounds incredible on it.
    Forever Changed – Carrie has said that this is her favorite song on the album, and it’s clear why. ‘Forever Changer’ tells a beautiful story about a mother meeting her soul-mate, having her daughter, and later suffering from Alzheimers. It’s incredibly emotional, and I see Carrie holding true to her word, and never being able to perform it live.
    It’s a simple song, but very traditional-sounding, and there’s not much range in it, which I love to hear Carrie sing. It concentrates mainly on the beauty of Carrie’s voice, and shows the softer side of it. The piano behind her is gorgeous, and it’s going to be a very popular song among listeners.
    Nobody Ever Told You – This track is definitely more upbeat and inspirational. It’s about making a young girl feel beautiful just the way she is. I love the way this sounds musically. The background vocals have been described as sounding like “The Lion King,” which is a pretty accurate description. It’s very true to Carrie as a person and artist, and it could be a great single. Her voice sounds incredible on this as well.
    One Way Ticket – I can tell you now that this will be a single probably at the beginning of next summer. It’s laid-back, and just a relaxation/party song. Very tropical-sounding. It sounds like something Kenny Chesney would release. ‘One Way Ticket’ is totally different than anything I’ve heard Carrie sing, but it works. I adore what her voice sounds like on this; I can’t even describe it, but I love it. She told a story while still in the album-making process about bringing in Margarita for the band in the studio to “loosen” them up, and I’m pretty sure this was that song. It’s really fun and will for sure be a hit.
    Thank God For Hometowns – This is definitely a song very true to Carrie. It tells stories of going back to her hometown and remembering how it felt being a part of it, after being gone for so long. It’s one of the songs that doesn’t hit hard unless you’ve experienced it, and when you have, it’s incredibly emotional and close to your heart. I can’t relate, but seeing Carrie talk about her hometown of Checotah, Oklahoma so often, I can understand how personal this song is to her. This is another song that would give her a number one single, for sure.
    Good In Goodbye – The next track, which flows nicely from the memory-invoking previous song, is more of a positive good-bye song, than a depressing one. It starts out with Carrie seeing an ex with his family, and goes on to say that even though it’s bad now, in the end, it will be worth it. It’s a bittersweet and hopeful song, saying that they’ve both found someone who makes them happy. Carrie’s voice on this stands out to me on this one. Along with another upcoming song and only a handful from previous albums, I’ve never heard her voice this vulnerable, and is sounds absolutely incredible. It’s already a hit with fans who have heard the album and I don’t see that changing when it’s officially released.
    Leave Love Alone – This track picks up the pace a little, getting out of the more emotional songs before it. ‘Leave Love Alone’ is very country, and brings out the twang in Carrie’s voice that I absolutely love hearing. I could see this doing well on Country radio, but I don’t see them releasing it. My favorite part of the song is the last chorus, when she goes up an octave and shows her incredible range.
    Cupid’s Got A Shotgun – This sounds like a Miranda Lambert song mixed with Brad Paisley’s guitar and Carrie’s voice. Miranda didn’t write the song, but Brad did play guitar. It sounds traditional and modern at the same time; it’s very different for Carrie, but I’m not complaining. I love her voice on songs like this, and I hope to see more like this in the future. It’s a fun, love-gone-wrong song (which she does so well) with a couple great guitar solos. This could be a successful single, but again I don’t see them releasing it. It will definitely be a great one live.
    Wine After Whiskey – I knew this would be my favorite song since I read the title; it definitely did not disappoint. I love the metaphors, and it’s one of her most vulnerable and mature songs, in my opinion. Very traditional sounding. It reminds me of country music from the 90′s. It is by far one the best songs she’s ever written. It’s just s simple, heartbreaking country song, but beautiful at the same time. I don’t know what so say about this one, I just love it. I definitely see this working as a single, and the video would be amazing. Best song on the album, in my opinion.
    Who Are You – This song hasn’t gotten as many great reviews from fans as other songs on the album, but it definitely makes sense on the album. This is another one that could be interpreted many different ways. It’s very powerful, and her voice is perfect for it. Written by “Mutt” Lange, Shania Twain’s ex husband and manager, it has a country/pop/christian feeling to it. It makes absolute perfect sense as the last song on the album; it gives it a nice close, and also flows into ‘Good Girl’ well, if replaying the album directly after. I don’t think this will be a single on Country radio, but I can see her singing it live, and possibly Christian radio picking it up.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Carrie Underwood – ‘Blown Away’ review « pretty little girl.

May 1st, 2012 will mark the beginning of a new era for Country music superstar, Carrie Underwood. The Queen of Country is back with ‘Blown Away.’ The album is on a totally new level than her three previous albums. Overall it shows incredible growth as an artist, a songwriter, a vocalist, a performer, and as a person. It is her most Country-sounding album to date; at the same time, however, it has more variety than her first three releases.Good Girl – Obviously it’s been a while since this came out, and the response to it has been greatly positive. A lot of people are saying it isn’t very country, and they’re probably right. I, however, see everything Carrie does as at least a little bit Country. This is just a little bit Rock n’ Roll, also. Carrie has her own sub-genre of Country music it feels like, and this definitely falls under that category.
    ‘Good Girl’ was the perfect single to kick off the Blown Away era. It’ll be great in concert and it’s hard-core enough to get everyone’s attention. As far as first songs on an album goes, it’s also a perfect opener to this album, and will probably be what she opens with when she tours later this year.
    Blown Away – ‘Good Girl’ flows into the second track well. It makes the album take a darker turn, and it falls underneath that Carrie-Country genre I mentioned before.
    Carrie’s voice sounds absolutely incredible on this one, and I love her lower register. This will make a perfect second-single choice. It’s powerful and tells a story about a dysfunctional family, exactly what Country music is about. I can only imagine how the video will turn out. I personally love the backup vocals, and how her own voice echos behind the main vocals of the song.
    Two Black Cadillacs – I’m big on an album flowing together and telling stories, and making it an experience for the listener. You can tell they put a lot of great thought into the placement of the songs. ‘Two Black Cadillacs’ makes sense after the previous track. It continues the dark and powerful theme, telling the story of two women at their husband/lover’s funeral, respectively. The first time I heard this, it reminded me of Reba McEntire’s song ‘The Night That The Lights Went Out In Georgia.’ An aspect of this I love is the background music, particularly at the end, with the longer outro. It makes the song more powerful in my opinion, and it’s so different for Carrie. I like it.
    See You Again – This song is a completely different vibe, but it flows nicely from ‘Two Black Cadillacs.’ ‘See You Again’ was originally written for the movie “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Dawn Treader.” It was part of a writing session which produced three songs, one of which made it on to the movie (‘There’s A Place For Us’). ‘See You Again’ definitely sounds like a Disney song, and it would have fit perfectly in with the movie. This is one of my personal favorites on the album, and even though it would fit in great with a soundtrack, I think it makes the transition from the dark and powerful part of the album to the lighter, happier part make sense. It’s an optimistic view on goodbyes, and I feel it’s very relateable.
    Do You Think About Me – Another of my favorites, ‘Do You Think About Me’ tells a sweet story about an old love, and how they grew apart, and wondering if they still think about each other. The thing I love about the songs Carrie chooses for her album, is that they can all be interpreted in multiple ways. This is one of those songs about me, if it’s thought of from a metaphorical point of view.
    I could see this being a very successful single, if they choose to release it later this year or next year. It’s very traditional-sounding country in my opinion, and her voice just sounds incredible on it.
    Forever Changed – Carrie has said that this is her favorite song on the album, and it’s clear why. ‘Forever Changer’ tells a beautiful story about a mother meeting her soul-mate, having her daughter, and later suffering from Alzheimers. It’s incredibly emotional, and I see Carrie holding true to her word, and never being able to perform it live.
    It’s a simple song, but very traditional-sounding, and there’s not much range in it, which I love to hear Carrie sing. It concentrates mainly on the beauty of Carrie’s voice, and shows the softer side of it. The piano behind her is gorgeous, and it’s going to be a very popular song among listeners.
    Nobody Ever Told You – This track is definitely more upbeat and inspirational. It’s about making a young girl feel beautiful just the way she is. I love the way this sounds musically. The background vocals have been described as sounding like “The Lion King,” which is a pretty accurate description. It’s very true to Carrie as a person and artist, and it could be a great single. Her voice sounds incredible on this as well.
    One Way Ticket – I can tell you now that this will be a single probably at the beginning of next summer. It’s laid-back, and just a relaxation/party song. Very tropical-sounding. It sounds like something Kenny Chesney would release. ‘One Way Ticket’ is totally different than anything I’ve heard Carrie sing, but it works. I adore what her voice sounds like on this; I can’t even describe it, but I love it. She told a story while still in the album-making process about bringing in Margarita for the band in the studio to “loosen” them up, and I’m pretty sure this was that song. It’s really fun and will for sure be a hit.
    Thank God For Hometowns – This is definitely a song very true to Carrie. It tells stories of going back to her hometown and remembering how it felt being a part of it, after being gone for so long. It’s one of the songs that doesn’t hit hard unless you’ve experienced it, and when you have, it’s incredibly emotional and close to your heart. I can’t relate, but seeing Carrie talk about her hometown of Checotah, Oklahoma so often, I can understand how personal this song is to her. This is another song that would give her a number one single, for sure.
    Good In Goodbye – The next track, which flows nicely from the memory-invoking previous song, is more of a positive good-bye song, than a depressing one. It starts out with Carrie seeing an ex with his family, and goes on to say that even though it’s bad now, in the end, it will be worth it. It’s a bittersweet and hopeful song, saying that they’ve both found someone who makes them happy. Carrie’s voice on this stands out to me on this one. Along with another upcoming song and only a handful from previous albums, I’ve never heard her voice this vulnerable, and is sounds absolutely incredible. It’s already a hit with fans who have heard the album and I don’t see that changing when it’s officially released.
    Leave Love Alone – This track picks up the pace a little, getting out of the more emotional songs before it. ‘Leave Love Alone’ is very country, and brings out the twang in Carrie’s voice that I absolutely love hearing. I could see this doing well on Country radio, but I don’t see them releasing it. My favorite part of the song is the last chorus, when she goes up an octave and shows her incredible range.
    Cupid’s Got A Shotgun – This sounds like a Miranda Lambert song mixed with Brad Paisley’s guitar and Carrie’s voice. Miranda didn’t write the song, but Brad did play guitar. It sounds traditional and modern at the same time; it’s very different for Carrie, but I’m not complaining. I love her voice on songs like this, and I hope to see more like this in the future. It’s a fun, love-gone-wrong song (which she does so well) with a couple great guitar solos. This could be a successful single, but again I don’t see them releasing it. It will definitely be a great one live.
    Wine After Whiskey – I knew this would be my favorite song since I read the title; it definitely did not disappoint. I love the metaphors, and it’s one of her most vulnerable and mature songs, in my opinion. Very traditional sounding. It reminds me of country music from the 90′s. It is by far one the best songs she’s ever written. It’s just s simple, heartbreaking country song, but beautiful at the same time. I don’t know what so say about this one, I just love it. I definitely see this working as a single, and the video would be amazing. Best song on the album, in my opinion.
    Who Are You – This song hasn’t gotten as many great reviews from fans as other songs on the album, but it definitely makes sense on the album. This is another one that could be interpreted many different ways. It’s very powerful, and her voice is perfect for it. Written by “Mutt” Lange, Shania Twain’s ex husband and manager, it has a country/pop/christian feeling to it. It makes absolute perfect sense as the last song on the album; it gives it a nice close, and also flows into ‘Good Girl’ well, if replaying the album directly after. I don’t think this will be a single on Country radio, but I can see her singing it live, and possibly Christian radio picking it up.
    Good review. Thank you.

Thank you for your great review!!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    This is a great review. I especially love this part:

May 1st, 2012 will mark the beginning of a new era for Country music superstar, Carrie Underwood. The Queen of Country is back with ‘Blown Away.’ The album is on a totally new level than her three previous albums. Overall it shows incredible growth as an artist, a songwriter, a vocalist, a performer, and as a person. It is her most Country-sounding album to date; at the same time, however, it has more variety than her first three releases.

Thank you for posting.

Concert Stars
    awesome review...thanks for sharing!!

•