Concert Stars

Radio execs cope with smaller industry!

Radio execs cope with smaller, leaner industry | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

I didn't know where to put this, but found it interesting. It talks about how labels push to get their artists to no 1, and they are not happy about it!

Concert Stars
    wow this is interesting...

Concert Stars
    Acquiescing to requests by big record labels to play certain songs gets the songs to climb the charts because the ratings are based, in part, on the number of times songs get played on the radio. But that has ultimately made radio managers feel they’re being manipulated, programmers said.

The label pitches to radio often turn out to be more about choreographing a chart topper, rather than the reality of music that attracts and keeps fans, Adams said.
    Cough cough... Hello Big Machine! Hello Taylor!

Some may think that Carrie's label is manipulating the charts, considering that Carrie has 14 #1 singles, but I honestly don't think they're manipulating the charts as much as Big Machine.

DJs seems to LOVE Carrie and they really want the best for her. Remember when Carrie tried to push Mama's Song to #1? And how all the DJs all like: Don't worry! We'll get it to #1 for you!

Carrie Guru
    Maybe this is why everyone is embracing Carrie's new song. Even though it isn't really country there's enough of a hint of country to not only allow them to play it but possibly bring in new listeners.

Carrie Guru
    The radio has been manipulated for a long long time (maybe more than 60 years )

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I was just coming to post this article lol. It's a really interesting read.
    It's so true how labels push for their latest singles to get to number one only to be ousted from the number one spot in just a matter of days. Very few "hit" songs seem to have staying power these days. Perhaps labels should take it as a sign to release quality material to radio regardless of how big the artist is instead of just throwing any old song to radio to see if it sticks...Brad Paisley's Camouflage comes to mind lol...that song had no business being a single, but the label pushed it to the Top 15 anyway. Thankfully radio and their audience had enough and didn't allow it to sail all the way to #1. Very few artists are releasing singles to radio that are their best work. Instead, labels are pushing a lot of middle of the road stuff to radio that sounds just like the other middle of the road stuff the other labels are pushing lol.
    I bet the conversation at CRS surrounding this topic was very interesting! I would have loved to have been in that room.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I think that by Carrie waiting to release her single until AFTER she sang it first for radio, is going to prove in the end to be a wise and GREAT decision. I think that really showed that Carrie cares what they think and respects them and is appreciative of what they have done for her and her career!

And one would think all you whiners and complainers who just had to go on and on about the timing of the release and how Carrie and her team wronged you some how, well hopefully you learned a lesson. You don't and didn't know all the reasons and factors that went into the release of the single.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    I think that by Carrie waiting to release her single until AFTER she sang it first for radio, is going to prove in the end to be a wise and GREAT decision. I think that really showed that Carrie cares what they think and respects them and is appreciative of what they have done for her and her career!

And one would think all you whiners and complainers who just had to go on and on about the timing of the release and how Carrie and her team wronged you some how, well hopefully you learned a lesson. You don't and didn't know all the reasons and factors that went into the release of the single.
    That's right when it came time for the promotion to start it did and despite what some thought Gary Overton & Sony isn't out to get Carrie.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I think radio has to take some responsibility for what the labels are giving them. They only want to play the same thing over and over again....drinking songs, go USA songs.
    Radio programers are the ones that willing played the likes of Red Solo Cup.

Radio doesn't want to take a chance and program outside the box ( so few women get a shot and the new men are all cookie cutter),
    so it seems the labels are giving them what they ask for.Country music by rote.

that's how I see or I could just be full of hot air...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    It was said in a previous article that the audience for country radio is primarily male and they program to the male. Iam not knocking men but they liked red solo cup.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    It was said in a previous article that the audience for country radio is primarily male and they program to the male. Iam not knocking men but they liked red solo cup.
    All that song is good for is getting stuck in your head after hearing it or even just seen the name of it.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    If that is true, it is a recent change. In the past, everyone has said that the country radio audience was primarily female.

It was in an aircheck article I think. I will look for it. I also have heard that women were the larger audience. I think they are an audience but only casually and listen to other genres but men are dedicated to country. So men are more dedicated but not the biggest audience

EDIT: It was in all-access but I won't be able to get it back.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Hm, interesting. I always thought country audience was more a female thing.

Quote Originally Posted by carriefann View Post
    Hm, interesting. I always thought country audience was more a female thing.
    As I said you all might be correct but this article said that women listen to other stations and music more than the men. Once a man listens to a country music he stays with country music. Maybe it is too stressful for a man to be a fan of more than one genre.......................................j/k.

•