Ultimate Carrie Fan

Many country music fans skip radio, listen on iPods, Web instead

The study also identified a “twang” divide between hard-core country fans and others who like country but aren’t dedicated country radio listeners.

For example, nearly twice as many devoted country fans as casual country fans (77 percent versus 46 percent) liked Rodney Atkins, Josh Turner and Billy Currington – artists with a noticeable country twang to their singing. But artists such as Lady Antebellum, Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood don’t divide fans, earning equally high marks from both devoted and casual listeners.

Many country music fans skip radio, listen on iPods, Web instead | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

Concert Stars
    Well since Carrie hasn't be getting as much radio time as in the past, especially in this quiet period, I have been listening to Carrie more on my computer, web instead. So I agree. I mean why listen to artists you aren't a big fan of on the radio when you can listen to your favorite online, on your ipod, cd, etc. Plus, radio has a tendency to play the same songs over and over a million times. Most people get sick of hearing the same song over and over unless it's their favorite song/artist. Not that I was complaining when they were playing Carrie alot cause I loved it But if my favorite isn't played much on the radio, I would be listening to them other ways too.

Junior Carrie Follower leannrimes's Avatar
    I thought Taylor Swift was only for Casual listeners !

Concert Stars
    yes I agree with this...and I find some of this info interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by leannrimes View Post
    I thought Taylor Swift was only for Casual listeners !
    She's only for deaf listeners.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    She's only for deaf listeners.
    Apparently.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_kt View Post
    Well since Carrie hasn't be getting as much radio time as in the past, especially in this quiet period, I have been listening to Carrie more on my computer, web instead. So I agree. I mean why listen to artists you aren't a big fan of on the radio when you can listen to your favorite online, on your ipod, cd, etc. Plus, radio has a tendency to play the same songs over and over a million times. Most people get sick of hearing the same song over and over unless it's their favorite song/artist. Not that I was complaining when they were playing Carrie alot cause I loved it But if my favorite isn't played much on the radio, I would be listening to them other ways too.
    My feelings exactly. I stopped listening to music radio a few years ago. I didn't like the personalities and then they played music by people I didn't even like. I went to CD in my car and nothing at home. I listen to the news in my car also.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Agree. Most play the same 20 over and over all day. Then there's Uncle Kraker's Make You Smile. Every day for the past year and a half. They play Taylor alot which is good, but not on a country station.

Concert Stars
    To me the formula of country just doesn't work like it used to.
    The idea for a very long time now (since the 80's) has been to feed the machine certain music at a certain time and spread it out over the course of the year to make it appear that this was all a natural progression of artists releasing music to radio and the public responding to it therefore you have hit records. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is that a formula is laid out of music and artists that are pushed in the market place on a planned schedule throughout the year. And the system has gotten so refined thatnow artists' releases and promotions are planned years in advance. And if you are not part of the program you are not played. (that is why we talk about 1st teir 2nd teir 3rd teir....artists.) Some are in high rotation year after year. Some come and go. Some stay in a relative low rotation for a long time. (IF I hear "Rosemary's Granddaughter" just one more time I'll scream. It is in rotation for the long hall. IT is not randome that that same song just keeps coming up out of no where again and again and again)
    So this old way of suppying music used to be the only way to get your country music so you had to "play along".
    But there are options now like Robin mentioned. Therefore country radio needs to figure out how to serve a wider audience and not just themselves anymore.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    The radio is a great outlet. But I think the internet and iPod is better. I agree with Jade_kt. Sadly, I don't hear Carrie on British radio.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I'd certainly put myself into the "hard core Country fan" category. I agree that the Internet is the great leveler - the resource that gives us the chance to find whatever music we like, without having to rely on what Mainstream radio is playing. We're very very lucky to live in an era that gives us that choice.
    I hardly ever listen to Mainstream radio - the problem for me is that most of the Mainstream artists people were saying were playing on Froggie and the Wolf yesterday are ones that I can take only in very small doses. (I do like a few, Little Big Town, Miranda Lambert, Lady Antebellum - but most do little for me). Most of the artists I like, I find on the Internet, and that's where I see Carrie's videos. For other artists the best Roots Country radio station I've ever found is WDVX, which streams worldwide. This is their playlist - and if you don't recognize many of the names, that probably illustrates the divide between Roots and Mainstream
    WDVX - WDVX Playlist

Concert Stars
    When there's no Carrie single on the radio, I listen to the classic rock station, and that station gives me a hernia sometimes with its "Let's listen to just the Beatles today," or "Happy Led Zeppelin Day! Every day is Led Zeppelin Day!" or "We like to play AC/DC from time to time" (you mean ALL THE TIME), although they do play a decent amount of Aerosmith.

Anyway, the point is that I don't know why I turn my radio on.

•