Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed Carrie Fan

Carrie Part of the Best New Artist "Curse"

Watch: Road To The Awards, Best New Artist Curse - The 54th Grammy Awards® on Yahoo! Music

Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing as a Best New Artist "curse"! Basically, what the guy is saying is, rarely do artists who have won Best New Artist go on to win the "3 Big" awards: Best Record, Song, or Album.

If you remember, Carrie won Best New Artist back in 2007, but unfortunately hasn't won the other "big 3"! That's okay, Carrie, doesn't mean she isn't super successful!! This has happened to so many artists throughout the years.....but could Adele break that curse tomorrow night?? I hope so!!!

Concert Stars
    Dude, that pic you have in your avatar is one from that Vegas photoshoot. You should take it down out of respect for the photographer who got into trouble for the leak, even though it wasn't his fault.

To be fair, though, apart from maybe Best Album for SH, I don't think Carrie deserves any of those awards. And that's okay

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by nannygirl View Post
    Dude, that pic you have in your avatar is one from that Vegas photoshoot. You should take it down out of respect for the photographer who got into trouble for the leak, even though it wasn't his fault.
    Lol, nanny, and you are just now telling me this???

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Carrie will get it on next year's Grammys.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    ^ Yeah, hopefully!

There, Nanny, changed it!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Well Norah Jones won BNA and the same night won Album, Record and Song. And in 2005 she won Record again for Here We Go Again with Ray Charles and in 2008 she was a featured artist in the album that won Album of the Year. So I dont know lol

EDIT: I didnt realize there was a video and they mention this :d, sorry

Concert Stars
    Since when is having 5 Grammys being part of the BNA curse?

that phrase is meant for people who win BNA and never are heard from again..... not superstars like Carrie or Norah Jones.

whatever dude. That video is wrong.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I didn't mean it as an insult to Carrie, though........

I just found it interesting, that's all.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That's ok new artist or any award won at the Grammy's is an honor

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Carrie may be a part of this particular grammy record but she is one of the success story of BNA winners. One of her songs she recorded did win song of the yr for country -JTTW. Besides why should a BNA winner be held at a higher standard than others that did not win it.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Huh?? How is winning 5 Grammy's, ACM ETOY, selling 10 million albums, 2 million concert tickets and being one of the most successful country artists part of any "curse?" What planet does this writer live on??

Concert Stars
    The Grammy BNA "curse" is basically just that the winner is a one-hit wonder or that they never see much success from their win onward; I didn't know winning Best Song, Record, and Album was part of the criteria. If that was the case, I think 99% of all artists, not just BNA artists, fall in the category of not having won the three big awards. pshh

Country music don't win the Big 4 very often...

Concert Stars
    I agree with Tee...I dont get it...

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I don't think that speaker is comparing like with like. "Song of the Year" is a writing award (which doesn't even go to the performing artist, unless they also happen to be the writer or co-writer). "Album of the Year" and "Record of the Year" are studio awards (they're shared between the performing artist, the producer and the sound engineer).

By contrast, "Best New Artist" is a performance award, and it's designed to recognize exceptional talent. It's more concerned with personal potential.
    I don't see it as a curse. Esperanza Spalding, who won last year is an outstanding Progressive Jazz bassist - but she's probably little known to the general radio fans. She's the youngest ever member of the teaching faculty at Berklee College of Music, and I doubt if she sees that as a curse.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Maybe I shouldn't have posted it if everybody is going to look at it in a negative light. For me, it was just interesting because Adele could actually win big tonight!! She could change history.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Since when is having 5 Grammys being part of the BNA curse?

that phrase is meant for people who win BNA and never are heard from again..... not superstars like Carrie or Norah Jones.

whatever dude. That video is wrong.
    That wasn't really the point he was trying to make, he was attempting to point out that people who have won BNA in the past don't usually go on to win any of the other 3 major awards.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefann View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't have posted it if everybody is going to look at it in a negative light. For me, it was just interesting because Adele could actually win big tonight!! She could change history.
    You didn't do a thing wrong, the writer of the article wasn't saying anything negative they were just pointing out that the winners of BNA don't usually go on to with the other 3 major awards and as usual people overreacted to what the writer had to say.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefann View Post
    There are always people here that are going to look at everything in a negative light . No worries. I found the piece interesting as well. I don't believe in any curse lol, but the stats are certainly intriguing. Best of luck to Adele tonight!

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast