Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Concert Stars

Megan Hilty covers Carrie's "Crazy Dreams" on Smash

Nice honor to have Carrie's song on the show, but I love Carrie's version by a "country mile"!!! Just not feeling this version!

'Smash': Megan Hilty Covers Carrie Underwood's 'Crazy Dreams' (Exclusive Audio) - Hollywood Reporter

Concert Stars
    If you hadn't said what it was, I wouldn't have recognized it!!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    she took the fun right out of it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    It's not working for me

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    :

Barf!

Sorry but I strongly dislike this version. Just like maddkat posted, she took the fun right out of it! Ugh.

Concert Stars
    You cant even recognize the song..

Concert Stars
    Her "Crazy Dreams" seem awfully painful, more light a nightmare rendition.

I prefer Carrie's upbeat, fun "Crazy Dreams".

Concert Stars
    I have to give her credit where credit is due! She "really" made this song her own! That being said, thanks for posting. I respect that Smash is using Carrie songs in the show.

Concert Stars
    It's an interesting version - not as good as Carri'es but I love the lyrics in this song and they will carry any version. Perhaps people will look Carrie's original up and it might sell a few - I love Carrie's Grand Ole Opry performance of Crazy Dreams

Gosh, not even halfway through and i almost fell asleep!

i like it.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I've never heard Megan Hilty before, but I like her voice. Her slow, breathy delivery, with a piano accompaniment, actually worked quite well for me - but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that this is a particularly good song, which can survive the change of pace and musical arrangement. For me, this relatively early example of Carrie's songwriting ranks as one of her most successful, and most personal numbers.

The big difference is that Carrie seems to have intended this song to combine a modern lyric (one that's very relevant to her fan base) with strong elements of Country Music's Mountain roots. Listen particularly to the live version she performed at the Opry, which I posted recently in another thread (it currently shows up first in a YouTube search on the song title). It starts with a banjo opening, that later reasserts itself. There's a fiddle break around 1.05 (which Carrie pauses to draw attention to), and a great ensemble ending. Carrie works really well with her band on this number. It illustrates, for me, what people mean when they say she's one of the few headline artists in the Mainstream who really cares about Country Music's spirit.

Concert Stars
    It's nice that other artists like to cover Carrie's songs, though! This can't be anything but a positive.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Her "Crazy Dreams" seem awfully painful, more light a nightmare rendition.

I prefer Carrie's upbeat, fun "Crazy Dreams".
    This version isn't meant to be upbeat and fun, it will be part of the storyline auditions that show is having with her going up against Kat McPhee's character for the lead role in a musical.

Huge Carrie Follower CrazyDreams1818's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I think the slowness of this version will make more sense within the context of the show, as JB said.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    This version isn't meant to be upbeat and fun, it will be part of the storyline auditions that show is having with her going up against Kat McPhee's character for the lead role in a musical.
    Right, everything in context!

Megan is a great singer, however, I still like Carrie's version. I will hold further comment until I see it sung within the context of the show. BTW: I am really liking the show. Kat is a phenomenal singer and am happy she gets to show off her talent.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    It sounds good to me, and on some parts the piano kinda sounds like "Seasons of Love" from Rent. I like when songs are re-imagined in a different way. If it was just like Carrie's, I probably wouldn't have liked it. Also Carrie's country version wouldn't have been in character for Ivy. She didn't seem the least bit country in the first episode.

If people like it, they can look up Carrie's version or buy this version(maybe Last Name wasn't for sale from Glee). Either way Carrie's getting paid since she's the songwriter.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Right, everything in context!

Megan is a great singer, however, I still like Carrie's version. I will hold further comment until I see it sung within the context of the show. BTW: I am really liking the show. Kat is a phenomenal singer and am happy she gets to show off her talent.
    My wife and oldest daughter were excited about the show, so I watched the premiere with them and thought that it was really good too.

Junior Carrie Follower jonas_underwood_fan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Crazy Dreams is one of my favorite Carrie Songs. Can't believe they took the banjo out of it and made it slow.. It's supposed to be fun. Blah. This is boring. Although I have to say Megan voice is really pretty.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast