Ultimate Carrie Fan

Male singers trending higher

But I also started looking into numbers on who is singing our music these days, and I noticed a startling trend in country music. It is becoming more and more male dominated. Yes, Swift, Carrie Underwood, and Miranda Lambert are superstars -- and they will be for a while. But take a look at this week's Billboard poll. Sixteen of the top 20 singles are by male singers. I could even make an argument that's it's 17 because at No. 20 is Lady Antebellum, and two of its three members are male, with Charles Kelley taking the lead on most of the vocals.

Male singers trending higher - Toledo Blade

Ty
    Um. How can men be 'trending higher' when they've already been dominating country music since like...forever.

Concert Stars
    Not gonna lie. Most of my favorite singers are males. I mean, I love Carrie, Candice Night, Amy Lee, and Sharon den Adel, but they face some stiff competition. Bruce Dickinson, Axl Rose, Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford, Jeff Buckley, Layne Stayley, Steven Tyler, Dan McCafferty, Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant, Geoff Tate, Roy Khan, Eddie Vedder, Jimmy Gnecco, David Coverdale, Chris Cornell, Scott Weiland, Bono, Mike Patton, Troy Sanders, Ian Gillan, Mark Slaughter, Joey Belladonna, Joe Lynn Turner, Tim Owens, Serj Tankian... they're just incredible. I don't know. I prefer male vocalists by miles. I think it's just about what genre you're into. I bet pop fans could list way more females they dig than males.

In country, males have always been dominating...

Concert Stars
    Hmmmm I just realized that the Sun is brighter then the Moon.....

Oh wow! Have you guys noticed that the sky is blue?

Lol, seriously, though, I think all genres except pop are male dominated. Until Ms. Minaj came along, there wasn't a significant female presence in hip-hop (and Minaj's success is also pop-driven). Females have never gotten anywhere in rock or metal music, save for a few exceptions (a few GIANT exceptions). African-American women have probably beaten the men in R&B, but it's so driven by a few, HUGE names that it undermines the actual female presence.

It's only in pop music that females have thrashed their male counterparts. 8 of the 10 biggest names in pop of 2011 (according to BB's year-end charts) were Katy Perry, Rihanna, Britney, GaGa, ADELE, P!nk, Ke$ha and the BEP. Only Bruno and Pitbull sneaked into the top 10. Pop has been rules by women for a long, long while. Further, because it's the most mainstream, commercial, radio-friendly music, it causes women to have a much larger presence than they actually do. For example, the Hot 100 top 10 has 6 out of 10 women.

The situation in country is just as bad. It's two biggest "mainstream" stars are both women - Carrie and that other thing. But, Nashville has always been male-dominated, and despite the legendary success of Loretta, Dolly, Reba, Martina, Shania, Carrie and Taylor, it's still unlikely that that will change any time soon.

I personally listen to more women than men (almost exclusively to women), but there's no denying that women are still struggling to equal men. It's probably because of social taboo. It's considered "odd" or "uncool" for a man to listen to or sing along with a female artist like Katy or GaGa. But it's perfectly appropriate for women to enjoy the tunes of Usher, Pitbull and Lil Wayne.

Blah. The present rulers of the world are Adele and GaGa, and the ruler of my heart is Carrie. I'm happy

Concert Stars
    yes this is really not new news..lol

Male singers have always been dominating in Country Music.

Only a few female singers that can break thru such as the great Carrie, Taylor, Miranda, Reba, Martina, Sara Evans

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    if a woman breaks through, she is GOOD. she really stands out. with males, most sound the same with a few actually standing out ie jason, brad, kenny and keith.
    Becca

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    if a woman breaks through, she is GOOD. she really stands out. with males, most sound the same with a few actually standing out ie jason, brad, kenny and keith.
    Becca
    That's interesting, Becca. I think Brad, Kenny and Keith have all gotten pretty stale and they have their own little niche (Kenny's the "beach bum," Keith is the "Happy Go Lucky In Love" guy, and Brad is the funny/parody guitar God). They are all talented in their own ways, but I feel like males can frequently get away with doing the same old same old while females are often criticized for playing it "too safe." Just a thought...

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

That's interesting, Becca. I think Brad, Kenny and Keith have all gotten pretty stale and they have their own little niche (Kenny's the "beach bum," Keith is the "Happy Go Lucky In Love" guy, and Brad is the funny/parody guitar God). They are all talented in their own ways, but I feel like males can frequently get away with doing the same old same old while females are often criticized for playing it "too safe." Just a thought...
    I agree! I was just over in the Miranda thread reading a very snarky concert review where the writer is harping on Miranda for still having her tough girl image. Now, if that were a male artist, the writer would likely be singing the praises of the artist for sticking with what works lol.

Women in country are held to a higher standard in some ways than men, and it is becoming more and more of a problem. Men are allowed to continually sing about drinking/having a good time or romantic relationships. Rarely does a male artist stray from either topic. Ronnie Dunn strayed from the pattern with "Cost Of Livin'", and it didn't get him very far, sadly. Women in country are considered stale if too many of their songs stick to one image.
    The fact that Toby's "Red Solo Cup" is sitting inside the Top 10, and Brad's "Camouflage" is inside the Top 15, right now is proof that country will accept just about anything from its male artists, particularly if those artists' names are Toby, Brad, Keith, Kenny, and now Jason. I have a feeling we could probably include Luke and Blake to the list at this point. If either of those songs had been released by most female artists, they'd probably sat on the chart forever and barely made the Top 20 if that.
    It's so sad to me that the writer of that article couldn't name more new females. It really does show how many new males we have right now in country music, which is only making it harder for the newer female artists. How do artists like Kellie Pickler, Sunny Sweeney, Lauren Alaina, Jana Kramer, and so many others succeed in a world where their male counterparts are already head and tails above them before they even start?

There are only 13 women in total on the Mediabase Country chart right now, and that is including women in groups (6 of the women are from groups). Only 2 of these women are in the Top 10(The Band Perry and Martina). Out of fifty chart positions, we only have 13 women?! Something is seriously wrong here, and country radio needs to take a long, hard look at what is happening because there are wonderful female artists out there that aren't being given a fair chance.

Another big problem at country radio is the lack of airplay for newer artists in general. It shouldn't take a song nearly a year to peak, which is exactly what happened with David Nail's "Let It Rain". Eden's Edge have been on the charts since April with "Amen", and it is still only sitting at #20 (with no bullet at the moment). Country music needs to stop catering so much to its heavy hitters, and realize that there are wonderful new artists that deserve a chance to be heard, too. I'm not saying radio should back off the heavy hitters too much, but if only they would have some quality standards when it comes to material from the heavy hitters. At this point, the men I listed a few paragraphs above, along with Carrie, Taylor, and Lady A, can pretty much release anything they want, and radio will push it to at least Top 10 within a reasonable amount of time. This would great if there weren't so many more artists struggling with the same song on the chart for nearly a year. How about encouraging the labels and artists to step up their game? I really feel as though the male heavy hitters have gone into auto-pilot when it comes to single releases. They just release the same old stuff era after era, and radio plays it. Only two women at country seem to get afforded a guaranteed high peak position regardless of what song they release: Carrie and Taylor. How about radio plays the songs that actually are of the highest quality, and not just play the song based on whose name is on it?

Sorry for my lengthy rant, but this all really bugs me as a country fan lol.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Thought this was funny.

ASCAP to lose $80M in 2012 in deal that bolsters radio - Nashville Business Journal http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...nually-in.html

Concert Stars
    Sounds like the song writers will suffer.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Sounds like the song writers will suffer.
    I'm not sure that is necessarily true. It sounded like they will lose some royalties from radio but gain some from online streaming that they weren't getting before. It will be interesting to see how the whole music business shakes out as the old models aren't terribly relevant anymore. Unfortunately there is a huge amount of piracy going on and it is really hurting the industry.

•