Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Great Performances: Tony Bennett - Duets II

Great Performances: Tony Bennett - Duets II
    First broadcast January 27, 2012 on PBS

Last September 85 year old Tony Bennett released his album Duets II performing pop standards with a wide range of duet partners. It became the first #1 hit album of his more than 60 year recording career. This episode of PBS' long-running series Great Performances digs deeper into the creation of the album while showing in studio performances of the songs. Artists are interviewed about what it is like to work with Tony Bennett and comments from producer Phil Ramone weave the individual segments together. It is a perfect opportunity to look deeper into the work of a pop music legend.
    Engaging Insights Into the Recording Process

The Duets II special gives many insights into the recording process itself. Producer Phil Ramone speaks about Tony Bennett's reputation for doing only three or four takes and the pressure that puts on his duet partners to step up to the plate. Multiple duet partners speak about the process of choosing the songs to sing. We get a deeper insight into how Tony Bennett chooses to engage with individual duet partners. He is very free with compliments about the other performers. Of country singer Faith Hill he says that she is like a female Frank Sinatra by always performing more authoritatively and just a little bit better than anyone else.

The presence of Tony Bennett does seem to work magic in the vocals that come from a wide range of his duet partners. Carrie Underwood's vocals on "It Had To Be You" sound gorgeous and timeless. Lady Gaga proves she is a truly accomplished vocalist well outside her dance pop comfort zone. Willie Nelson reminds us all what a brilliant interpretive singer he can be while also contributing a guitar solo.
    Top Performances

Tony Bennett and Andrea Bocelli - "Stranger In Paradise"
    Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga - "The Lady Is a Tramp"
    Tony Bennett and Queen Latifah - "Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me)"
    Tony Bennett and Willie Nelson - "On the Sunny Side Of the Street"
    Tony Bennett and Carrie Underwood - "It Had To Be You"
    Review: Great Performances - Tony Bennett - Duets II

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Can't argue with the top 5 performance list. The queen surprised me.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    How come Faith Hill's did not make the top 5?

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I'm not sure if this is the broadcast - but as it's been uploaded today, I think it may be (Carrie interview and full song)

Concert Stars
    It was a wonderful show, and Carrie was wonderful!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    It was a wonderful show, and Carrie was wonderful!!
    I especially loved Carrie's warm engaging smile and hand clapping at the end when they were done singing. I just found that so sweet and endearing!!!! I know call me a sap!!!!

I'd also love to know if Carrie tried Tony's way of recording when she was doing her new album???

I loved the show!! Carrie was so sweet, humble...she talked like she was absolutely taking in every single thing Tony said for her future reference. I wonder if Tony painted a picture for all of them? That picture KD Lang had was pretty.

Concert Stars
    Carrie was amazing as always!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    I especially loved Carrie's warm engaging smile and hand clapping at the end when they were done singing. I just found that so sweet and endearing!!!! I know call me a sap!!!!

I'd also love to know if Carrie tried Tony's way of recording when she was doing her new album???
    I've been wondering too. I hope so!! She was very taken with it, on that interview I heard!!

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    I've been wondering too. I hope so!! She was very taken with it, on that interview I heard!!
    Carrie is a Megastar who is very humble-- she is willing to learn from others --especially from a legend like Tony Bennett.
    Last edited by Mirasa45A; 01-28-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Vinman just tweeted Carrie's performance is up on his site.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Do you know how to access his site? Thanks.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I was so excited to see the update until I saw that he recorded in divx form so I can't see it. Hopefully vinman (or another user) can post it on youtube soon.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
    Do you know how to access his site? Thanks.
    Vinmans Media

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecountrystar View Post
    Thanks carriecountrystar. I will watch it at home because I am at work right now and i could not download it.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I loved the show - everyone was so much better than the little snippets I'd heard on ITune. I purchased Carrie's so knew she was absolutely awesome!! Anyway, really enjoyed seeing the show and getting some Carrie time!! Thanks for reminding us Claire2004!

Concert Stars
    I loved the show!! Carrie was so sweet, humble...she talked like she was absolutely taking in every single thing Tony said for her future reference. I wonder if Tony painted a picture for all of them? That picture KD Lang had was pretty.
    I loved the show too! I especially like that Carrie talked about how she would have done whatever it took to sing with him. It's that sweet humble person that comes across in her interview.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecountrystar View Post
    I was so excited to see the update until I saw that he recorded in divx form so I can't see it. Hopefully vinman (or another user) can post it on youtube soon.
    You can change the extension to from .dvix to .avi and WM player will play it.

This free program suite can also convert video and even frame by frame screen shots http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software.htm

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    It's very nice of Vinman to put these files up - but unfortunately, the format he uses is not likely to work on all operating systems.

What downloaded first is a Microsoft executable file "iLividSetupV1.exe"
    This appears to be an installation routine for a Windows program. Other operating systems often won't be able to open this.

I managed to open it under Wine (which is a Windows compatability layer, and it did install the iLivid program (which is a sort of download manager, and is said to work with VLC). VLC can handle almost any media, if it can get the file.
    However, the downland manager failed to work under Wine on the send file site he uses - saying it had encountered a serious problem and would have to close.
    I tried this three times, and got the same result.

If anyone knows an alternative way of getting the file (one which doesn't need a Windows download manager), I'd be grateful to hear!

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I had problems with that extra download also. If I discover the problem and solution I will post.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast