Carrie Underwood ‘appearance’ has Wichita fans abuzz

Late in Brad Paisley’s concert Friday night at Intrust Bank Arena, superstar Carrie Underwood – who sings with Paisley on his hit “Remind Me” – walked on stage in a glittery dress.

She smiled, swayed and belted out her part of the song before graciously waving goodbye and disappearing.
    Fans went crazy. They screamed, gasped and surged closer to the stage, hoping for a better view.
    Only one problem: Carrie Underwood wasn’t actually on stage.

Paisley, as part of his “Virtual Reality” tour, had beamed onto the stage a hologram of his duet partner that was so realistic, fans were debating online into Saturday whether Underwood actually was in Wichita.
    “I thought it was really her,” one fan wrote on the arena’s Facebook page after several other fans complained about being fooled. “Tricked me.”

“Carrie Underwood WAS there,” an online commenter posted at the end of The Eagle’s review from the concert, which said that Underwood’s appearance was only virtual. Another wrote, “Wichita Eagle: Please confirm whether Carrie Underwood was there or not. Your story suggest that she wasn’t. We think she was. Please find out!”

As Paisley played the opener to “Remind Me” on his guitar, it appeared that Underwood walked onto the stage from the side. She turned to face the crowd. When her part of the vocals arrived, the big screen cut to a closeup of her face, adding to the illusion. Observant concertgoers noticed that Underwood’s hair was blowing in the wind, but there was no wind in the indoor arena.

Paisley introduced Underwood at the end of the song, and she waved to the crowd before exiting the stage. He never acknowledged the illusion.

Arena officials on Saturday confirmed that only Underwood’s digital image was in the building on Friday night, though they chose to stay out of the online debate.

“I didn’t step in to set anyone straight since it’s fun to let people think she was,” arena marketing manager Christine Pileckas said in an e-mail. “Why spoil their fun?”

Wichita wasn’t the first town fooled. The reviewer who covered Paisley’s Jan. 12 concert in Grand Rapids, Mich., the first stop on his tour, said that Underwood was “digitally imposed on a screen in a shockingly lifelike way – singing with Paisley (folks thought she was really there and a gasp was heard round the arena.)” Fans in Tampa were similarly fooled at a concert in September.

A few videos of the trick can be found online by searching “Carrie Underwood hologram.”

SOURCE: Carrie Underwood ‘appearance’ has Wichita fans abuzz | Wichita Eagle (I just added the image from Google images)

--
    The slightly mean part of me loves how many people are being fooled by the Carrie hologram. I think every household should have their own!

Concert Stars
    just goes to show how realistic it really looks!!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    People don't need to be complaining about being fooled, wouldn't it occur to people that if the real Carrie was there that her and Brad might actually sing closer together.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I love that people are still being fooled by this hologram. Jim, you are so right...RM is an intimate ballad, so if Carrie was in fact in attendance she likely wouldn't be standing a huge distance away from Brad lol.
    Furthermore, do people not clue into the fact that Brad's tour is called the "Virtual Reality" tour?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    I love that people are still being fooled by this hologram. Jim, you are so right...RM is an intimate ballad, so if Carrie was in fact in attendance she likely wouldn't be standing a huge distance away from Brad lol.
    Furthermore, do people not clue into the fact that Brad's tour is called the "Virtual Reality" tour?
    BBM
    Ha Ha! EXACTLY

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    Amazing how it looks so real...

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Awesome that its so lifelike that they have a debate on whether she was there or not - I guess, who really cares when it looks so realistic - they are still getting to see some good shots of her!! I"d take that about now!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Do you know if Brad does any other things aside from the Carrie hologram on tour that relates to the theme, or if there are particularly cool technological sets or anything?

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Real fans know but occasional fans can still be fooled.
    I heard the tour containd laser lights and such but no other hologram was mentioned.

Concert Stars
    My granddaughter sent me pics and vids on the iphone Sat nite from Denver! She said the crowd "freaked out" when they saw "Carrie"!! There was a giant applause, on the vid, when she came out!! Brad also had all of the artists in his show come out and do the "tebow" kneel down. Then Tebow himself came out!! The Denver crowd went wild!!

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    My granddaughter sent me pics and vids on the iphone Sat nite from Denver! She said the crowd "freaked out" when they saw "Carrie"!! There was a giant applause, on the vid, when she came out!! Brad also had all of the artists in his show come out and do the "tebow" kneel down. Then Tebow himself came out!! The Denver crowd went wild!!
    Thanks for letting us know!! Was wondering if you got any pics from your granddaughter. That is great...I bet your granddaughter had such a wonderful time!!! Makes me smile

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Thanks! Sounds like a great show.

Lots of the Tebow videos on YouTube:

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Tim Tebow was there

Junior Carrie Follower Butterfly13's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    You'd think people would catch on that it's a hologram haha. Although I don't blame them, it does look extremely real

•