'American Idol': 15 Audition Songs We'd Ban

'American Idol': 15 Audition Songs We'd Ban
    ''Rolling in the Deep,'' ''Over the Rainbow,'' any Whitney Houston, 12 more Ryan should just stop at the door
    By Kate Ward | Jan 18, 2012

Any song made famous by a previous Idol winner

Even before she sang Kelly Clarkson's ''Since U Been Gone,'' season 5's Kellie Pickler knew she was taking a gamble: ''I've got some big shoes to fill, that's for sure,'' she said before breaking out into a passable performance of the season 1 winner's hit. But, still, Pickler didn't seem to sell the judges until she followed up the number with Martina McBride's ''A Broken Wing.'' Goes to show that even a top 6 finalist can't top a former Idol winner on their former home turf. So, Idol auditioners, please stay away from the following: Clarkson's ''A Moment Like This,'' Carrie Underwood's ''Before He Cheats,'' Fantasia's ''I Believe,'' and any other songs ''owned'' by previous winners. (We're looking at all of you who have attempted to top Underwood's ''Alone.'' Tsk tsk.) Shoot for shoes in a slightly smaller size.
    Adele | 'American Idol': 15 Audition Songs We'd Ban | Photo 1 of 15 | EW.com

Concert Stars
    totally agree with this!

Concert Stars
    Why would anyone even consider doing anything that the god awful Fantasia had done. Worst winner EVER!!!

Concert Stars
    I think it is fair to say that you should know your strengths.
    And if you can't sing as well as Carrie Underwood, why on earth would you try on national Tv?
    Perfect example: Pickler choosing songs from people like Kelly Clarkson or Martina McBride.
    Had she started out singing songs closer to her own range and ability (Wynette/Parton) I probably would not have been so hard on her.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Haha I remember one season a few seasons back they had a montage of all the bad singers trying to sing Before He Cheats, nobody could ever match carries standards!

So true...Carrie's songs are difficult to sing and people should really stay away from them unless they are absolutely amazing...plus they will never sound as good to us Carrie Fans...lol

Insane Carrie Fan carriefan0825's Avatar
    hands up on "Alone"! they should've banned that right after carrie sang it.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    Why would anyone even consider doing anything that the god awful Fantasia had done. Worst winner EVER!!!
    fantasia was brilliant. you're really gonna say she's the worst with scotty and lee what's his name?
    Becca

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    fantasia was brilliant. you're really gonna say she's the worst with scotty and lee what's his name?
    Becca
    Scotty is really talented (but boring, IMO). Kris and Lee are BY FAR the worst Idol winners. . How the h*ell did such average singers win a singing competition?? Fantasia's voice seems to be polarizing to a lot of people; she's got a nasal, high-pitched thing going on and she tends to scream. I can see how some may not care for her.

As for the audition songs, I want to say I agree "Alone" and "Before He Cheats" should be banned, but I also believe all music should be open to whoever wants to sing it. Part of the beauty of music is being able to share it and open it to interpretation, I think.

I will say I don't know why anyone would chose to sing a song that has become a "trademark" for other artists, because it's always going to lead to comparisons, which takes away from the artistry of music, IMO.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

Scotty is really talented (but boring, IMO). Kris and Lee are BY FAR the worst Idol winners. . How the h*ell did such average singers win a singing competition?? Fantasia's voice seems to be polarizing to a lot of people; she's got a nasal, high-pitched thing going on and she tends to scream. I can see how some may not care for her.

As for the audition songs, I want to say I agree "Alone" and "Before He Cheats" should be banned, but I also believe all music should be open to whoever wants to sing it. Part of the beauty of music is being able to share it and open it to interpretation, I think.

I will say I don't know why anyone would chose to sing a song that has become a "trademark" for other artists, because it's always going to lead to comparisons, which takes away from the artistry of music, IMO.

the same people voting believe taylor swift can sing. nuff said.
    Becca

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    Becca
    The only thing brilliant about Fantasia was the way they shoved her down our throats & the way they over hyped that Summertime performance. And she has shown, with her personal choices post Idol, just how brilliant she is.

Concert Stars
    I am sorry to say that I am with the majority here.
    I get that she is a girl who can really use her voice to elicite emotion, but I just can't stand the "sound" of that voice.
    I really think it is a preference.
    If her voice sounded like Carrie Underwoods and she still sang like Fantasia you might be able to call her brilliant.
    But for me, I can't get past the sound of her screeching and shrill squacking.
    I know thats awful. But that is really what it sounds like to me.
    I just don't think everyone was meant to sing.

•