Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrie Underwood To Play Country Legend?

Move over, Jersey Boys! Grand Ole Opry icon Dolly Parton is writing a Broadway musical based on her rise to stardom. Will Carrie Underwood take center stage as the icon?

Dolly Parton's path to country music superstardom is being developed into a Broadway musical -- and country cutie Carrie Underwood is a shoo-in for the lead role!

"I'm writing my life story as a musical for Broadway," the songbird attached to the most famous bust in music told WENN Thursday.
    And while Dolly plans to be very involved in the autobiographical production, the curvaceous country queen has no intention of playing herself.

She wants Carrie to do that.

"Dolly has been a mentor to Carrie since her career took off and respects her tremendously," a theater community snitch squealed to the National Enquirer this month. "She thinks it would be a wonderful experience and career boost for Carrie.

Underwood reportedly feels honored to be Dolly's first choice, but she's nervous about making her acting debut under the brights of Broadway.
    Carrie Underwood makes country fans cry >>

We wonder if Carrie knows that she would be just the latest in a long line of former American Idol stars to stare fear (and biting critics) in the face for a run in the famed theater district?

Fantasia Barrino was handpicked by Oprah to star as Celie in the theatrical adaptation of The Color Purple. Constantine Maroulis was a huge hit in the Tony Award-winning '80s rock tribute Rock of Ages. And don't forget Jordin Sparks' brief run in In the Heights last year.

"Carrie idolizes Dolly and is scared that she may not live up to her expectations. Performing on Broadway would be a huge challenge and she's scared to death to commit to it."

This will not be Parton's first foray onto the Great White Way. A musical based on the screenplay of Dolly's hit 1980 comedy, 9 to 5, served as the seven-time Grammy winner's Broadway debut in 2009.

Dolly even composed the show's original score.
    Exclusive: Dolly Parton vs. Queen Latifah in Joyful Noise >>

After 148 performances, the lights at Manhattan’s Marriott Marquis Theatre went dim on 9 to 5: The Musical in September 2009. The production failed to become a huge hit with audiences, but was nominated for four Tony Awards -- including Best Original Score, Best Actress in a Musical (Allison Janney), Best Featured Actor in a Musical (Marc Kudisch) and Best Choreography.

Dolly says she couldn't be more proud of the show's critical reception. She hopes the lessons she's learned will help her make her musical life story an even bigger hit.

"9 to 5 didn't make it on Broadway, but it didn't sour me. I learned all this stuff from it," she surmised.
    Do you think Carrie can duplicate Dolly's trademark curves on Broadway?

SOURCE: Dolly Parton taps an Idol for next outing on Broadway?

I doubt it's true, but it'd be awesome if it happened! Carrie would make a great Dolly - It'd be like the Queen of Country passing the torch to the Princess.

Thanks for posting!! It would be awesome if it is true...we'll have to see what happens.

What a Honor!!!

It would be great if Carrie played her!

I highly, HIGHLY doubt it's true, BUT BOY THIS WOULD BE SO AWESOME!!!!!!

Insane Carrie Fan
    I remember Dolly mentioned her musical in Carrie's Christmas Special. At the time, she said that they were going to ask Kristin Chenoweth.

Obsessed Carrie Fan boilermaker's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    It is the National Enquirer that is the source of that info so I hightly doubt that is true. I agree that Kristin Chenoweth is the number 1 choice to play Dolly on broadway.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    While it would be amazing, I just don't see Carrie having the time commitment to do a Broadway musical. Plus, the source for Dolly saying she wanted Carrie to do it is the National Enquirer, which can't be trusted at all. Kristin Chenoweth would be a good choice since she already has lots of experience with Broadway and could probably pull off the Dolly persona quite well. Although, if something were to happen and Carrie were to by some miracle do it, I might have to make my first ever trip to NYC!
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Did a bit of resarch (ie., Googling ). I think the bit about Dolly writing the musical is confirmed. There actually is a Broadway production about Dolly's life coming to Broadway, and Dolly is writing it herself. This is confirmed, it has come from Dolly's mouth herself.

The bit about Carrie playing her is much less solid. Only one site has reported it, and seems to be complete speculation.

That aside, flashback to Carrie's Thanksgiving Special. Dolly kinda announced it all the way back in 2009, and she did see Kristin Chenoweth is who she was considering. K-Chen is of course a Broadway star herself, and a good singer. I don't see why Dolly would have changed her mind about Kristin, and I don't see Kristin refusing the offer either, especially since her music career didn't do well.

It does seem unlikely, unfortunately.

I'm sure Carrie would be flattered, but I highly doubt she'd have the time to do a Broadway show, especially anytime in the next year or so.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^The only conflict I could see Kristen having is that she now has an hour long drama coming to tv shortly. But I know tv stars get long breaks in the spring/summer, so maybe that is long enough for a Broadway stint. I know tv stars have time to make movies in the off season, but would they have time for a full Broadway musical run? Then again, there is no guarantee that Kristen's new show will be picked up after this first season.

Do any of the articles state when the musical might be expected to hit Broadway? This year Carrie wouldn't have the time even if she was Dolly's choice, which I doubt.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    would be neat but I doubt it's true

Concert Stars
    It is a great honor for Carrie but I have a feeling she won't accept the part.

Concert Stars
    I think they just put Carrie's name in it to draw attention/buzz to the musical. I still doubt Carrie is going to did it, especially w/ her new album and tour coming up. I think it will be going to Kristin C. instead as that is who Dolly originally said she wanted to do the part. Plus, Kristin probably would be a better fit since she has experience in broadway. But of course, I wouldn't mind if Carrie did it

Concert Stars
    Very nice compliment, but, I doubt it!

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    It's probably like everything else the National Enquirer prints. A tiny grain of truth and a whole lot of random speculation and pure fiction. I'd believe Dolly made an off the cuff general comment like Carrie might be a good choice (she's been pretty complimentary to her in the past) but since it's not even written yet they obviously aren't anywhere near casting anybody. I'm with most everybody else here, I don't see Carrie doing it even if it were offered to her at some point in the future. She seems pretty entrenched in Nashville.

Concert Stars
    I realllyyy don't think this is true. But I would love for Carrie to do Broadway someday.

Concert Stars
    Well the musical is not expected this year as dolly gave a recent interview that she is just writing it in 2012. So if it debuts in 2013 carrie could do it.

Also carrie recently stated that her "2013" is looking to be very busy as well as 2012 so she already has plans for 2013.

I am not saying this is remotely true as the national enquirer is complete rubbish. However the timing is right to fit carries schedule in 2013.

Also carrie could just do a brief stint as the lead for a few months and then they could change to kristin chenowith or someone else. Carrie would not have to do it all year long- just for a few months.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    I'd watch the OFC. This will obviously come up there. If there is no chance that Carrie is doing this, then Carrie will likely set the record straight. If Carrie remains silent on this, it is likely that it is at least a possibility. We don't know when they plan to open. But if Dolly is still writing it, it probably wouldn't hit Broadway until at least next year. In that case, scheduling would be less of an issue.

Concert Stars
    ^ but don't they usually alternate the stars of certain broadway shows? Ie- daniel radcliffe did a stint on broadway and then the show replaced him with someone else.

My point is that kristin chenowith could definitely get the role too as per dollys statement at carries xmas show. But carrie could sign on for a brief stint in the role too to either replace kristin or maybe kristin could replace carrie.

Carrie did recently say that her 2013 will be pretty busy too- not just 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ but don't they usually alternate the stars of certain broadway shows? Ie- daniel radcliffe did a stint on broadway and then the show replaced him with someone else.

My point is that kristin chenowith could definitely get the role too as per dollys statement at carries xmas show. But carrie could sign on for a brief stint in the role too to either replace kristin or maybe kristin could replace carrie.

Carrie did recently say that her 2013 will be pretty busy too- not just 2012.
    They don't 'alternate' stars as in they have two people who swap with each other. They have the first cast that is said to "originate" the roles of all the characters. Then, as the show keeps getting revived, cast members always change.

It is possible that Carrie may originate the role herself, and have Chenoweth or someone else take over later. Alternatively, Chenoweth may originate, with Carrie being the 2nd/3rd actress, depending on how well the show is received.

All I know, is that if (BIG, GIANT IF!) Carrie gets the role, I'm gonna have to fulfil a lifelong dream and finally head to the Big Apple. I've been in love with the City since I was 10

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast