Country Universe - 2012 Grammy Nominations

2012 Grammy Nominations

The nominations for the upcoming Grammy awards have been announced.

For the first time in many years, there isn’t a contender in the Record, Song, or Album category that has any connection to country music. Couple that with the reduced number of country categories, and there isn’t too much to write about this year.

Here’s a rundown of categories with country nominees, along with a list of who didn’t make the cut and some brief commentary.
    Country Categories:

Best Country Solo Performance

Jason Aldean, “Dirt Road Anthem”
    Martina McBride, “I’m Gonna Love You Through It”
    Blake Shelton, “Honey Bee”
    Taylor Swift, “Mean”
    Carrie Underwood, “Mama’s Song”
    Noteworthy Omissions: Miranda Lambert (“Heart Like Mine)”; Brad Paisley (“This is Country Music”); George Strait (“Here For a Good Time”); Keith Urban (“Without You”)

Not a bad year to combine the vocalist categories, as even the high-profile omissions aren’t particularly noteworthy. If past awards are any indication, this is a race between Swift and Underwood.

Best Country Duo/Group Performance

Jason Aldean with Kelly Clarkson, “Don’t You Wanna Stay”
    Kenny Chesney with Grace Potter, “You and Tequila”
    The Civil Wars, “Barton Hollow”
    Thompson Square, “Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not”
    Noteworthy Omissions: The Band Perry (“You Lie”); Zac Brown Band (“Colder Weather”); Alison Krauss and Union Station (“Paper Airplane”); Lady Antebellum (“Just a Kiss”); Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood (“Remind Me”); Rascal Flatts (“I Won’t Let Go”); Sugarland (“Little Miss”)

A lot of Grammy staples didn’t make the cut, including several previous winners in the category. With only four nominees, it’s quite a coup that the Civil Wars slipped in there!
    Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » 2012 Grammy Nominations

i'm still confused as to why the duo/group category only had 4 nominees -- I didn't look through every single category, but most of them and they all had 5 or 6-- seems to me they screwed RM out of a nomination. Oh well...

Carrie Guru
    Country Categories:

Best Country Solo Performance

Jason Aldean, “Dirt Road Anthem”
    Martina McBride, “I’m Gonna Love You Through It”
    Blake Shelton, “Honey Bee”
    Taylor Swift, “Mean”
    Carrie Underwood, “Mama’s Song”
    Noteworthy Omissions: Miranda Lambert (“Heart Like Mine)”; Brad Paisley (“This is Country Music”); George Strait (“Here For a Good Time”); Keith Urban (“Without You”)

Not a bad year to combine the vocalist categories, as even the high-profile omissions aren’t particularly noteworthy. If past awards are any indication, this is a race between Swift and Underwood.

Best Country Duo/Group Performance

Jason Aldean with Kelly Clarkson, “Don’t You Wanna Stay”
    Kenny Chesney with Grace Potter, “You and Tequila”
    The Civil Wars, “Barton Hollow”
    Thompson Square, “Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not”
    Noteworthy Omissions: The Band Perry (“You Lie”); Zac Brown Band (“Colder Weather”); Alison Krauss and Union Station (“Paper Airplane”); Lady Antebellum (“Just a Kiss”); Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood (“Remind Me”); Rascal Flatts (“I Won’t Let Go”); Sugarland (“Little Miss”)

A lot of Grammy staples didn’t make the cut, including several previous winners in the category. With only four nominees, it’s quite a coup that the Civil Wars slipped in there!
    So, Carrie Underwood gets 2 nominations ??

Carrie Follower
    You know Elvis never won a Grammy, so I really don't know what the big deal is about the Grammy's. Rap is NOT music and a big deal is made over it. give me a break!!!!
    The Grammy's -just another show.

Carrie only got 1 nomination for MS - RM was left off the duo/group category. Tony Bennett was nominated for Duets II.

Insane Carrie Fan Kenny_Chisholm's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    No one. RM wasn't nominated for some wacky reason.

Junior Carrie Follower Butterfly13's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Chisholm View Post
    No one. RM wasn't nominated for some wacky reason.
    Isn't it too soon for RM to be nominated?

At least she got one nomination considering she had such a quiet year. And for the Grammy's it's really an honor to be nominated anyway.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly13 View Post
    Isn't it too soon for RM to be nominated?

At least she got one nomination considering she had such a quiet year. And for the Grammy's it's really an honor to be nominated anyway.
    No it is not too soon. It goes by release date, and RM was released in June 2011 so it made the cut off for Grammy eligibility by a few months. Cut off was September 30th.

I have the list of all the country submissions-- it is posted somewhere in the Grammy thread. RM was submitted--- but it was snubbed.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by parthena View Post
    You know Elvis never won a Grammy, so I really don't know what the big deal is about the Grammy's. Rap is NOT music and a big deal is made over it. give me a break!!!!
    Didn't Elvis win Grammys for his gospel stuff?

Haha. Carrie got a Grammy nom for probably the only single her fans disliked as a single. xD But I'm happy she got a nom. I was worried.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    No it is not too soon. It goes by release date, and RM was released in June 2011 so it made the cut off for Grammy eligibility by a few months. Cut off was September 30th.

I have the list of all the country submissions-- it is posted somewhere in the Grammy thread. RM was submitted--- but it was snubbed.
    Tee, it may have made the cut but it's a 'baby' in comparison to some of the nominated songs in this category, I think. Also it really confuses me as to why the song was released and basically left to fend for itself, without any real promo...then when the single is done on the charts Brad appears to make an attempt at promoting the song...Why did he do that? If he wasn't going to promote it why put it out there? Despite the lack of promo it was still successful based solely on the star power of Carrie and Brad, but Carrie more I think. It could have been so much BIGGER...making it more competitive at the Grammys but alas woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by nannygirl View Post
    Didn't Elvis win Grammys for his gospel stuff?

Haha. Carrie got a Grammy nom for probably the only single her fans disliked as a single. xD But I'm happy she got a nom. I was worried.
    ELVIS got a Grammy for "How Great Thou Art" album.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I wonder if Carrie's seriously one of the one's to beat in the race- I hope she is! It's kind of surprising RM wasn't nominated but I'm so pleased MS was!

Concert Stars
    so glad carrie got nominated! hope she wins!

Obsessed Carrie Fan sur_crazy4carrie's Avatar
    There might have been at least a three way tie for the last spot in the country group/duo category. The most nominations in any category is 6. If there was a tie between 3 or more songs for the last spot, it makes sense that there are only 4 nominations.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by parthena View Post
    I totally agree with you on the Grammys.

Unless you are nominated and/or win in one of the four all genre categories all you are doing is being nominated and/or winning in your own genre.

Concert Stars
    ^^ Constantly dour

It is odd there are only 4 noms in the duo category but it could be a tie that made the difference as someone mentioned - I really don't know what all the fuss is about the Civil Wars - I've heard them a few times and feel they aren't as good as some of the groups already out there but maybe they will grow on me. They're just OK for me.

Insane Carrie Fan AdrianAustraliaCarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Remind Me.etc wasn't nominated (to take the 5th spot on duo/group vocal) because it and other duo/group singles didn't gain a large enough % of votes to qualify! There is apparently a % of votes required to make the nominees list! Which is strange...they should just do 5 anyway...and who says RM would of made that 5th spot...

Never heard of Civil Wars...

RM was released at the wrong time I feel! It should have been the second single really for even better album promo and Grammy hopes. But anyway it was released perfectly (pretty much) for the CMA's and I'm sure we'll see it nominated for the coming ACM's & CMA's in 2012! Hope RM takes off on HOTAC to further help this.

•