Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CMA Awards: Best and worst of the broadcast

CMA Awards: Best and worst of the broadcast

The real winners were announced last night at the 45th Annual Country Music Association Awards. But here are a few more honors from the telecast that you should feel free to weigh in on:

Best Hosts: Obviously, Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley are the only people eligible for this honor, but haven’t they become quite a dynamic duo? I can’t think of any pair I’d rather see overseeing an awards show. They’re funny and saucy without being mean, and they keep the show moving.

Between the Hank Williams Jr. parody and the Faith Hill/Tim McGraw anatomy check that opened the show, Underwood and Paisley had me literally tearing up with laughter. And just when you think they can’t endear you to themselves any more, they deliver a powerhouse vocal on “Remind Me.” Hey, Oscars, are you watching?
    CMA Awards: Best and worst of the broadcast | The Music Mix | EW.com

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Nicely said.

Thank you for posting! Glad to see great comments for Brad and Carrie!! I just loved them last night and I think we'll have many many years of Our Carrie and Brad to come!!

Concert Stars
    The barbie part and song about kim's marriage were my highlights of their hosting....Hilarious! Miss Piggy was also funny. I wish their opening would have been longer.

I wish the opening would have been longer too...they are just too good at this to just have a few minutes...maybe sometime in the future we'll have the Brad & Carrie Show on TV every week...I would love that!!

Concert Stars
    lOved Brad and Carrie.

Concert Stars
    I think this was their best year ever as hosts! They were amazingly hilarious! On point and not mean-spirited at all! Carrie looked so comfortable up there with Brad! They need to continue hosting for many years to come! I was dying of laughter all through the night watching the CMAs

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Great review

Concert Stars
    Brad and Carrie for President.... LOL

Concert Stars
    wow love this...all true...hope they host for many more years to come!

Concert Stars
    In a student has become the teacher moment....The CMA'S kicked XFactors butt in the ratings.

Concert Stars
    Nice review for Brad and Carrie- but boy were they wrong about Taylor's performance. It was dreadful!

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Nice observations from EW.
    I'm glad to see them mention the Glen Campbell tribute...it was a very moving moment, and all three men involved did a wonderful job honoring Glen. I love the comment about Little Big Town because they really can make anything sound great lol...I did enjoy their portion of the Lionel performance.
    I kind of agree with the writer's comments about Gary from Rascal Flatts (sorry Karly)...I always find Gary looks less than enthused to be at these events. "Easy" is growing on me though...I like the mix of Gary and Natasha's voices. I hope they record with her again.
    Nice mention of the Sugarland performance with Matt...I loved how they staged that performance with Matt and Jennifer looking at each other the whole time. I agree about Sara Evans...not her finest moment.
    I actually agree with the writer's take on Taylor. It was nice for once to see her sit still, play guitar, and sing her song without a sparkly dress, background dancers, and any other craziness...she deserved her standing ovation, and she looked truly content at the end of her performance. I hope we can expect more of this subdued Taylor.
    Interesting comments about the Faith performance. I felt the same way. I'm happy Faith is back, but I didn't exactly get the warm fuzzies from her performance. She looked a little nervous, and I'm not a big fan of the song. The country community does seem glad she is back, though. Plus, she could have easily not made her return on country's biggest night, and had her first appearance back be at something smaller...she's got guts for premiering her first new song in years at the CMAs.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Carrie and Brad were so great last night! I wish their opening had been longer it was so funny

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    The Glen Campbell tribute was very emotional for me.

I grew up on Glen's music, and I have a brother(who used to sing Glen's songs in a local country band) who also suffers from Alzheimer's. Such a debilitating and horrible disease!

It was great to see Glen recognized for his songs!

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathie Wynkoop View Post
    The Glen Campbell tribute was very emotional for me.

I grew up on Glen's music, and I have a brother(who used to sing Glen's songs in a local country band) who also suffers from Alzheimer's. Such a debilitating and horrible disease!

It was great to see Glen recognized for his songs!
    My grandfather is suffering from this horrible disease right now, so it hit a personal note with me as well. I think many people can relate. I couldn't help but think that in time Glen will forget these beautiful songs that he spent so much of his life singing. So sad. His family seems very supportive though, which is great.

Concert Stars
    But EW failed to comment or mention Taylor's obvious pitchy vocals as usual. It is like a big fat elephant in the room.. No one wants to tell the truth about her vocals for some reason-- but everyone on Twitter surely did. lol

Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    I'm glad to see them mention the Glen Campbell tribute...it was a very moving moment, and all three men involved did a wonderful job honoring Glen. I love the comment about Little Big Town because they really can make anything sound great lol...I did enjoy their portion of the Lionel performance.
    I kind of agree with the writer's comments about Gary from Rascal Flatts (sorry Karly)...I always find Gary looks less than enthused to be at these events. "Easy" is growing on me though...I like the mix of Gary and Natasha's voices. I hope they record with her again.
    Nice mention of the Sugarland performance with Matt...I loved how they staged that performance with Matt and Jennifer looking at each other the whole time. I agree about Sara Evans...not her finest moment.
    I actually agree with the writer's take on Taylor. It was nice for once to see her sit still, play guitar, and sing her song without a sparkly dress, background dancers, and any other craziness...she deserved her standing ovation, and she looked truly content at the end of her performance. I hope we can expect more of this subdued Taylor.
    Interesting comments about the Faith performance. I felt the same way. I'm happy Faith is back, but I didn't exactly get the warm fuzzies from her performance. She looked a little nervous, and I'm not a big fan of the song. The country community does seem glad she is back, though. Plus, she could have easily not made her return on country's biggest night, and had her first appearance back be at something smaller...she's got guts for premiering her first new song in years at the CMAs.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    It's totally fine, Meg. I do know everyone has an opinion. .

OK, seriously, I do actually agree with the writer. Although I do think Gary, Jay, and Joe Don love to perform for their fans, they have never seem to keen on awards shows (Gary in particular). Even if he you see him on red carpets before awards shows, he never looks happy. I do think he (and Jay and Joe Don) are grateful for what they've been given from awards voters, but having followed their career for about a decade, I think I can safely say Gary is not the kind of guy who likes to go to these kinds of events, or even being in the limelight for reasons other than being able to do what he loves for a living. It's interesting to me that Jay and Joe Don were both very interested in pursuing musical careers (they both played for separate bands before RF to gain foothold in Nashville), while Gary had a 9-5 job and Jay had to literally beg him to move to Nashville.

Having followed RF's career for about a decade now, it's become obvious that Gary is a very private person who would prefer to be home with his family or hunting on his farm rather than attending awards shows. He doesn't have a twitter (Jay and JD do), and if one of them is seen in public off the road it's almost always Jay and Joe Don, either separately or hanging out together; Gary is rarely seen with them, unless he's with his family.

It seems to me that Joe Don and Jay enjoy being in the limelight and being public figures much more than Gary does. Of course there's nothing wrong with that, but their approaches to their lives and careers are extremely different. It may be a little bit easier for Jay and Joe Don to handle the attention because both their wives are models/tv personalities who've had to deal with a certain amount of public scrutiny themselves. Gary has said in his wife does not like the limelight & they do their best to shield their girls from it too.

Long story short, although I do doubt Gary loves to sing, everything that I know leads to the conclusion that he loves what he does, but he hates the fame.

Sorry for the long-winded answer, hopefully it helped you understand what I'm trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    But EW failed to comment or mention Taylor's obvious pitchy vocals as usual. It is like a big fat elephant in the room.. No one wants to tell the truth about her vocals for some reason-- but everyone on Twitter surely did. lol
    Oh, don't worry Tee. Other sites noticed the pitchiness, such as at mjsbigblog. lol here it is:

UPDATE 23: Taylor Swift is up performing now. And, she starts out flat. Getting a little better now. Acoustic guitar, and she’s singing on a sofa wearing what I assume is a comfy sweater. She’s singing a song called “Ours”. It’s a cutesy love song that her tweenage fans should eat up. Oh, and she’s kind of flat again and doesn’t really modulate her voice too well. And, what is she doing with her “r”s?? But simple acoustic Taylor is definitely the most tolerable form of Taylor.
    45th Annual CMA Awards & Red Carpet-Live Blog! | American Idol, Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler, Kelly Clarkson, Lauren Alaina, Scotty McCreery | mjsbigblog

Concert Stars
    I think they'll be the Reba of the CMAs..... Reba has hosted the ACMS for like 13 years, I think Carrie and Brad could do the CMAS for at least that many years... They're so good at it, and they're are huge ratings draw.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast