Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Carrie Fan

Miranda Lambert Returns: The Billboard Cover Story

As a teen, she honed her skills on the competitive Texas music circuit. She gained her first national exposure on country talent competition "Nashville Star," placing third on the show in 2003. "It definitely helped me," she says. "I don't think I'd be talking to you right now if it weren't for 'Nashville Star.' It gave me a launching pad, and I'm thankful for opportunities like that. If it weren't for 'American Idol,' we wouldn't have Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood to make the music industry look great."

Miranda Lambert Returns: The Billboard Cover Story | Billboard.com

Concert Stars
    Nice comments from Miranda.

Concert Stars
    Nice comments by Miranda. Very nice picture of her too on the cover.

Boy, does Overton love her though. Damn. lol I will have to see if he says anything nice about Carrie when her Billboard cover comes out for her album.....lol Something tells me it won't be nearly as glowing. lol

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Overton will not keep his job long if he does not glorify his artists. One of his jobs is to promote and sale his artists to the public.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^Well, it kind of makes sense to me now after reading that article. Sounds like he has known Miranda since she first came to Nashville - even before he was a part of Sony. So maybe he has always respected her and liked her music and that is why he has been trying to boost her career so much the last year or so. Before this last year or so, I think a lot of people would say that Miranda was underrated and not recognized enough. So, maybe Overton was trying to correct some of that. Not saying that it is right or wrong, just making some observations.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    ^ he went too far though. He hurt Carrie in the process--- especially with EOTY. He owes Carrie loyalty too, and he has not done boo for her.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^I didn't say it was right or that he didn't go too far, just making some observations from that article. Sounds like he has been a Miranda supporter for years, so just trying to understand where some of his motivation might be coming from.

I just hope that Sony is saving up all of their "Carrie" energy for album #4. I don't want to set my expectations too high, but I am really thinking this album will be just amazing. And no matter how many critics give her bad reviews or if her label doesn't give it their all - no one can ignore that voice and Carrie's fans will always support her.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    ^ Tx. I understand what you mean and agree. I do hope they save some $ for Carrie's promo and do not short change her. After waiting THIS long for this album--- I expect top of the line treatment for Carrie, and she better get it. lol

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ Tx. I understand what you mean and agree. I do hope they save some $ for Carrie's promo and do not short change her. After waiting THIS long for this album--- I expect top of the line treatment for Carrie, and she better get it. lol
    Tee... I'm jealous. Carrie replied to your post on the OFC. LOL

Concert Stars
    ^ You just have to ask her more questions and she might reply to you too!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    What did you ask her Tee?
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Ty
    Can we just give the guy a chance? He hasn't even really got a chance to speak for Carrie yet. Let's wait 'til the next album then form a proper opinion.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    Can we just give the guy a chance? He hasn't even really got a chance to speak for Carrie yet. Let's wait 'til the next album then form a proper opinion.
    By the time we finally get the new album, I'm going to be so excited for new Carrie music and a tour, that I'm going to forget who Gary Overton even is, lol.
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    With Miranda's album dropping before Carrie's, all the promotional effort, money spent, etc. for Miranda can be used as a comparison when Carrie's 4th album drops. I'm sure many will be watching this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    With Miranda's album dropping before Carrie's, all the promotional effort, money spent, etc. for Miranda can be used as a comparison when Carrie's 4th album drops. I'm sure many will be watching this.
    I'll be one of those who will closely watch this lol.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I completely agree. We can't even say for sure if Overton had much to do with the mishandling of the "Play On" era.For all we know, it could've been widely known that Joe was leaving for a very long time.it could be possible they were preoccupied with the whole thing, and it hurt Carrie. The whole process of switching label heads is probably a huge deal, and it's not something that could be done quickly. It could be possible the whole process of Joe leaving effected the era, while Overton had very little hand it in it until Joe officially stepped down.

Carrie had a lot of other projects going on during that time, and I truly think if she would've pushed for a 5th single, the rest of her team would've backed her. Overton is not the only one with influence over Carrie's career; knowing Carrie, she wouldn't allow herself to be part of a label that mistreated her. She has fought hard to gain artistic freedom, and she values that so much; I refuse to believe she'd let anyone tell her who to be as an artist.

Overton may be promoting Miranda right now, but why wouldn't he? "Revolution" was a very successful album & THTMB was a huge hit. Of course he's going to promote her to maximize the buzz, and getting her out there as much as he can while she's fresh in the public minds.
    Carrie didn't have a fifth single, and she barely toured this year; it's not like he had a ton of things to work with.

This is a record label; it's their job to promote their artists; they live to have artists that can build a huge fanbase and sustain popularity. Carrie has shown she's one of the only female artists in the entire genre that has the consistent popularity, and a huge, fanatical fanbase that will buy anything she puts out. Even if Overton is just now running the label, you cannot honestly tell me he doesn't realize how valuable Carrie is to Artista, and the music industry. The industry relies on money and buzz; Carrie is one of the only artists who has always had both of those factors, and she certainly has more than Miranda.

If Overton is not treating Carrie like he should be, he's bound to be called out by someone; this is a business, and they know, even if they may be bias, they cannot afford to lose Carrie. They can't mess with such a valuable artist, and they know that better than anyone. If they want money, they'll promote Carrie even if they do it smiling through their teeth.

That's the bottom line, IMO.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Overton's actions speaks for himself. There's no way Miranda could have EVER gotten that EOTY nom without big backing from the label which he happens to be CEO of.

I won't completely write him out though; let's see how he supports Carrie this time around.

Huge Carrie Follower
    This continue talk of Carrie being neglected by Sony Nasville prompt me to ask this question, is Simon Fuller so blind that he can not see what Carrie fans saw? And this is the same guy suing X factor without hesitation & let his watchdog Nigel yakking against Cowell. Unless you guys think XIX no longer care now that they have Scotty & Lauren, poor Carrie should drop them both & go “indie”. most idol fans prefer when they are not happy with major label.lol

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecountrystar View Post
    Overton's actions speaks for himself. There's no way Miranda could have EVER gotten that EOTY nom without big backing from the label which he happens to be CEO of.

I won't completely write him out though; let's see how he supports Carrie this time around.
    You never know. Stranger things have happened, especially at awards shows. Even if it did happen as everyone thinks, that's politics in the music business. It's not always about who may deserve something over another; I'm sure favoritism plays some part, but should we really be so quick to put all the blame on Overton? The ACM voting party has 6,000 members; I don't believe Overton had all the decision in the choice to nominate Miranda over Carrie.

Either way, can we please not discuss this? I feel like this kind of thing always leads to bashing & some people becoming upset. We're treading on dangerous territory as it is. Many of us love both Carrie and Miranda; these women are friends that respect each other. I just hate hearing people pinning them against each other like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

You never know. Stranger things have happened, especially at awards shows. Even if it did happen as everyone thinks, that's politics in the music business. It's not always about who may deserve something over another; I'm sure favoritism plays some part, but should we really be so quick to put all the blame on Overton? The ACM voting party has 6,000 members; I don't believe Overton had all the decision in the choice to nominate Miranda over Carrie.

Either way, can we please not discuss this? I feel like this kind of thing always leads to bashing & some people becoming upset. We're treading on dangerous territory as it is. Many of us love both Carrie and Miranda; these women are friends that respect each other. I just hate hearing people pinning them against each other like this.

I only mentioned this because we were talking about Overton's intentions and what not. I understand that there are many factors involved, however it's also pretty clear Overton can use his influence and position to sway support. That's how an artist gets the support.
    Politics have always been involved but not to this extent. Looking at past lists of nominees for this EOTY, it is evident that this spot has been treated with the highest respect, recognizing those that HAVE met the criteria. There was nothing like this travesty in the past.

This is not at all directed towards Miranda. She has had a good year and is quite talented; I've also become a fan of hers after listening to more of her music.
    I just don't hold much for this Overton.

Anyways, nice Carrie mention

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast