Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Concert Stars

Entertainment Weekly Review of I Heart Radio Festival: Day 1

Not super happy with this review. The guy is crazy as Carrie was on fire last night! Clearly he is not a fan. Whatever. Carrie trended worldwide and got nothing but LOVE on twitter and the internet last night-- not one bad thing was said about her--- so this review is a bit shocking if you ask me. I have never seen Carrie's stage presence better then last night-- and she moved around all over the stage like a pro. She owned that stage and got one of the best audience responses of the night, per people who were there. So he is crazy.

iHeartRadio Music Festival Las Vegas: Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson, Alicia Keys, Jay-Z perform | The Music Mix | EW.com

Quote:

Then came the most robotic, but still driving performance, of the evening: Carrie Underwood. This girl can sing, but with her coming just two sets after Clarkson, it’s easy to see which of the two former Idols has more heart, and it’s not this one. Still, her performances of “Cowboy Casanova,” “Last Name,” and crowd-fave “Before He Cheats” got everyone on their feet. Also: Carrie debuted new bangs last night. The jury is still out on them, but they were the buzz of the MGM Grand Garden Arena during her set.

Concert Stars
    People either love or hate Carrie. Imo it's just jealousy of seeing someone successful. But I don't expect everyone to love Carrie. And imo Carrie seemed to have gotten a better audience response from what I could hear than the Black Eye Peas or Kelly not sure about Bruno Mars though seemed about equal w/ him or maybe just a little better. The ones that got the best audience response though was Coldplay and Jay Z imo, which is understandable. Sorry but Kelly was just okay for me but I thought she sounded like she does on her record which is good and she seems like a nice person and I liked two songs from her set. My favorites of the night though were Carrie, Bruno Mars, Coldplay, and Jay Z.
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 09-25-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Insane Carrie Fan Kenny_Chisholm's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Glad to see that Kelly Clarkson fans are still as hateful and defensive as usual. YAWN.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Oh please, I am so tired of the whole Kelly thing, she was OK nothing spectacular, I mean bare foot and lame get up and she jumped up and down, that's stage presence.... Whatever, Carrie was the bomb.....

Concert Stars
    wow not liking this!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Huge Kelly Clarkson fan here, but I thought her vocal performance was underwhelming last night, and very very strained at points. Still love her, though.

Carrie's vocals were fantastic. I do think that she seemed a bit out of practice (her vocals were clearer and more open during the PO tour imo) but she still delivered her songs very very well nonetheless. She definitely showed Kelly up vocally last night, that's for sure.

Concert Stars
    Thank you to everyone who went on the battlefield and took Carrie's defense.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I know I posted this in the other thread, but this reviewer is clearly biased towards pop music; he didn't even give Carrie a chance.
    Were we watching the show?

Carrie was all over the stage & she was having a fantastic time. Kelly has a great voice, but that's about all I see. She doesn't have the energy or vocal power Carrie does, and her vocals (and underwhelming performance) proved it.
    Carrie was a little out of breath, but that's to be expected; Carrie hasn't been onstage for months now. Her songs are some of the most vocally challenging, and she still did a fantastic job.

This reviewer needs to open his eyes and stop treating Carrie as the AI farm girl. Show her the respect she deserves. She doesn't deserve to be some biased reviewers scapegoat because he prefers pop music.

Kelly's not that great; some of her fans are so dang rude, acting like she's the best thing since sliced bread.
    Anyone who was actually listening last night knows Carrie can blow her out of the water anyday.
    Sorry, Kelly!

Concert Stars
    It was obvious by his drooling over the BEPs, the kind of entertaiment he likes. I wouldn't say someone as classy as Carrie would be tops on his list. Pfffffffft to him. He's insignificant.

Concert Stars
    I love Kelly so my anger is not directed against her. But --the EW critic is clearly a hater with an agenda.

She called Kelly "divine" so that sort of gives away her bias right there. Or him. I am not sure if the writer is male or female. lol

Either way, he/she is a biased hater to pick on only Carrie and leave everyone else alone. Carrie was one of the best of the night.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    I just don't get the BLP's...is that really even music?!?

I thought Kelly was just ok last night...nothing that spectacular. Carrie did great, and I was proud to be a Carrie fan!

PS: Bruno Mars is a livin' doll!!

Concert Stars
    Wow. Unbelievable Kelly stans hating on Carrie again on the comment boards. Why are kelly fans so rude and mean to Carrie? I am a big Kelly fan-- but her fans make me want to punch someone. $%$#

iHeartRadio Music Festival Las Vegas: Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson, Alicia Keys, Jay-Z perform | The Music Mix | EW.com

This comment is ludicrous. He is saying Carrie is a worse singer then Rihanna! LMAO

Felix Sat 09/24/11 10:18 PM
    I’m so embarrassed for just how bad Carrie Underwood is in the performance area. She has a good voice and can almost sing as well as Rihanna, but she’s nowhere near the great like Celine, Adele, Christina, Kelly Clarkson, Mariah Carey, Beyonce or Whitney Houston. It’s quite sad because I used to like her.
    She’s extremely stiff and marginally talented. Poor thing.

Carrie Guru
    ^^ Tee, there's always going to be people who don't like Carrie. Go ahead and vent if you want but would you stop posting what they say on here so the rest of us don't have to read that garbage.

Obsessed Carrie Fan CarrieFan_01's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Wow. Unbelievable Kelly stans hating on Carrie again on the comment boards. Why are kelly fans so rude and mean to Carrie? I am a big Kelly fan-- but her fans make me want to punch someone. $%$#

This comment is ludicrous. He is saying Carrie is a worse singer then Rihanna! LMAO[/B]
    LOL Carrie's ALMOST as good as a singer as Rhianna. Cracks me up.

The review was obviously biased. I don't think Kelly's vocal was that good. I used to be a huge Kelly fan, but stopped after her voice started to become so strained. It saddens me because her voice was so amazing, but it's almost like she blew it out. She still has some great moments, but listening to her now and comparing her to a few years ago? Sad.

Insane Carrie Fan
    LMAO, Felix's comment literally made me LOL. He didn't even make an attempt to PRETEND to be objective. Carrie vocally annihilates Christina, Adele, and Beyonce without even trying. Christina needs to scream and strain her voice on notes that Carrie could sing in her sleep....Adele's voice, while very pure and emotive, has ZERO range. & Beyonce's voice is just so thin and plastic-sounding, she can't even be considered a vocal powerhouse like those other ladies.

Concert Stars
    Thanx guys. I am going to stay away from there and enjoy the rest of iheart radio. Gaga is coming on. lol

I love Kelly-- own all her albums-- but many of her fans just despise Carrie....

Concert Stars
    WOW. Kelly's fans are ridiculous. Almost as good as a Riahannah? Get the heck out & go get your hearing checked, ASAP. I feel bad for the person that posted that, he/she is clearly living under a rock.

Kelly's fans are so rude to Carrie, and they can't even give her credit for anything. They treat her like she's a stupid, country bumpkin who will always be inferior to Kelly. Ticks me off.

Kelly is not as good as she used to be; her fans need to learn how to be gracious.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post

This comment is ludicrous. He is saying Carrie is a worse singer then Rihanna! LMAO

Felix Sat 09/24/11 10:18 PM
    I’m so embarrassed for just how bad Carrie Underwood is in the performance area. She has a good voice and can almost sing as well as Rihanna, but she’s nowhere near the great like Celine, Adele, Christina, Kelly Clarkson, Mariah Carey, Beyonce or Whitney Houston. It’s quite sad because I used to like her.
    She’s extremely stiff and marginally talented. Poor thing.

I LOLed at that comment. Poor thing? That "poor thing" is young, beautiful, has a great husband, is a topnotch vocalist, with tons of awards from Grammy, CMA, ACM, CMTs, PCA, etc, a respected Grand Ole Opry member, belongs to the top 10 highest-earning country artist who earns in a year much more that that troll dreams to earn in his lifetime, and with great friends and awesome fans. So yeah, Carrie must really be a "poor thing". lol

Ty
    Can we just stop giving this article / this writer the attention that he obviously desired?

Concert Stars
    Reading that review and nasty, vile comments made me upset at first. But everytime I hear about Carrie being degraded, the praise she earns for her talents means that much more. Who cares about a couple of clueless haters? Carrie's accomplishments & the praise she has gotten speaks louder than anything. She's loved by countless artists from every genre; Randy, Dolly, Loretta, Tony, Brad, Rascal Flatts, Nicki Stix, and so many others.

Carrie is adored by legends from across the world.
    She's praised for being one of the best vocalists in any genre, if not the best. Professionals who've studied the voice are constantly praising her for using healthy vocal techniques, and being able to use her voice in so many unique ways.

Her gift is not covered with mirrors and smoke; it's the real deal & so many people have stated that has a concrete fact.
    Anyone can say what they want about Carrie, but her growth over the past six years is simply astonishing; most artists don't develop like she has over a career, let alone a few years.

It's always sweet being a Carrie fan when people say she's robotic or she's fading away- I've noticed that's when she seems to come back the strongest.
    "How Great Thou Art" ended a long dry-spell for Carebears, and it's nearing 8 million views. It's becoming one of her most talked-about performances ever. The same effect with the ACM's; Carrie was nominated for one award, but her performance was all anyone talked about for weeks.
    With this performance, she got nothing but glowing praise, even from non-fans. It sounded like she gained quite a few new ones as well.

She was absolutely on-fire last night. Anyone who compares Carrie to Idol Carrie is looking for nothing more than a fight.

If I'm being completely honest, most of the artists chosen for the IHeartRadio festival don't represent the best in music; they may represent what's popular, but not what's best.
    Carrie, along with the other country artists chosen, has that "it" quality about her- the music has heart, soul, passion, and it actually means something to people listening to it. You can praise Gaga, Alica, Bruno & Kelly all you want, but after listening to them sing last night, I don't feel anything from them, like I did from Carrie.
    Carrie sings to move people, to make them feel something- that's something most artists in other genres seem to lack, but it makes country artists (especially Carrie) shine.
    It's not just about technical ability or performance style, but the idea that you should make people feel something through music; happiness, sadness, pain, joy. Carrie doesn't even have to try to move people through her music, she just does.

I think most people don't realize that being asked to participate in any multi-genre event is a huge deal, especially for a country artist. It's an honor that takes many years of hardwork, millions of albums, and concert tickets to achieve.
    It says "I'm respected and successful enough to be chosen with all these other artists that represent all types of music."
    Pop artists get invited to these events at the drop of a hat, because, for some reason, you're automatically "good enough" for everyone else if you're a pop artist played on Top 40 radio. Country artists have to work their way in; once you're in with the pop snobs, you're in for good. Pop fans don't view that as anything special, because their favorites probably had it handed to them. For country artists, it's somewhat a symbol of how far they've come, a token of massive success and approval.
    Carrie should be so proud she was chosen for this.

To me, Carrie represents what's great about music; if it truly moves people, the ones who are popular or the most-played on radio are not the ones who will be remembered in the end.

So with all due respect to Ms. Kelly, she has got nothing on Carrie, in so many more ways than one. Maybe her fans don't want to realize that, but I think Carrie qualifies to rise above Kelly in many more ways than her fans would ever care to realize.

I think a lot of people don’t want to admit all that Carrie has accomplished over her career, and the attention she has garnered from other artists.
    Everything Carrie does outshines anything done by any other Idol, and her resume proves it.
    People think they can get away with saying what they want about Carrie, because she’s a country artist. I’ve seen it happen countless times; pop fans almost always degrade country music, and it could be for something as simple as the tone of the singer’s voice, or the subject matter of the song.
    I’ve come to realize people appreciate different things about music; some like pop with a great beat that can make them forgot about their own problems for awhile. Others like deeper music that can impact the heart, while some might say it’s too serious for their taste.

I’ve seen both of these arguments before, and neither is less valid than the other, but I think it does play a part in how other fans perceive country music and its artists.
    Carrie has won over a ton of people, but we also should remember she can’t please everybody; some people will find fault in her no matter what she does.
    If people can’t appreciate her because she’s not good enough for them, that’s their issue. It has nothing to do with Carrie, and it sure as hell doesn’t take away from her phenomenal talent.

The thing I love most about being a Carrie fan is that Carrie doesn’t care about what others think of her; she has learned that she has to make herself happy before anyone else. She’s accepted that not everyone is going to like her, and she carries on with grace and class. Carrie is a beautiful young woman with an amazing talent, a great husband, and a great life. She knows she would be nowhere without God opening the door for her, and she has always had her heart in the right place.
    Carrie doesn’t care about the fame or the critics; she cares about making a difference.

As a Carrie fan, her own prospective inspires me. Carrie knows who she is, she’s a beautiful person.
    That is what I go back to when I hear Carrie criticized- her own prospective gives us a wonderful way to realize what’s really important.

To me, Carrie's talent is a small part of what has gotten her where she is; most of it is the fact that she remains a beautiful, humble person who wants nothing more than to move people through her own gift and her own life. That is what makes her a true superstar.
    Last edited by Carrieflattsfan; 09-25-2011 at 03:04 AM.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast