Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Concert Stars

One Day Sales: Tony Bennett Ready To Do It With Duets II (Carrie Mention)

HITS Daily Double: News

TONY READY TO DO IT WITH DUETS II Veteran Crooner Eyeing His First-Ever #1 Debut, Though Lady A’s in the Way

September 21, 2011

Hard to believe, but Tony Bennett has never had a #1 album. The closest he has come was the #3 debut for his 2006 album, Duets: An American Classic, while his classic I Left My Heart in San Francisco peaked at #5 in 1962.

That could all change with this week’s release of his RPM/Columbia album Duets II, which is being backed by a veritable slew of TV and live appearances, including a concert at L.A.’s Staples Center this Saturday night (9/24) with Carrie Underwood and Stevie Wonder, who also appear on the album. The disc also includes Amy Winehouse's last-ever performance, a duet with Bennett on "Body and Soul."

That said, based on early one-day sales reports from those retailers who still have their doors (and portals) open, Bennett’s Duets II will sell between 150-170k, which would put it neck and neck with Lady Antebellum’s Own the Night, which debuted this week with 355k.

--- article continues at site---

Concert Stars
    oh I hope it's a number one for him!!

Concert Stars
    I say Tony B's #1 album if it gets there will partly be due to the fans of Carrie and other artists buying it. I mean that is the only reason why I bought his album... because Carrie was on it...lol. I'm sure it's the same for the fans of Lady Gaga and other artist's fans buying it too. Tony B is one smart guy to have Carrie and some of the other artists on his CD
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 09-22-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Concert Stars
    I'm pretty sure sales will spike after the Blue Bloods premier Friday night!

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I imagine a lot of Amy fans are buying the CD to get Amy's last recording.

Concert Stars
    Actually, Tony selected a lot of awesome artists with awesome fans. Add Tony Bennett to that mix, and you get a #1 album!!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_kt View Post
    I say Tony B's #1 album is partly due to the fans of Carrie and other artists buying it. I mean that is the only reason why I bought his album... because Carrie was on it...lol. I'm sure it's the same for the fans of Lady Gaga and other artist's fans buying it too. Tony B is one smart guy to have Carrie and some of the other artists on his CD
    TBH, I don't think Lady Gaga's fans are buying the CD, they just downloading the song, which is evident based on Itunes ranking. Most pop artists are digital sellers.

I love Carrie but it's hard for me to buy someone's album for one song, I usually just downloads Carrie's contributed song!

Hopefully, Lady A won't sell as much next week! They will sell over 100K, but hopefully on the low end!

Concert Stars
    Carrie is number 3 on the popularity bars on itunes--- which is amazing! She is only behind Gaga and Amy Winehouse-- which is to be expected.

I cannot believe Carrie is outselling John Mayer, MAriah Carey, Norah Jones, Sheryl Crow, Faith Hill, Josh Groban, Michael Buble, etc---- and more. Pretty incredible!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I just bought the album today and I have to say so far my favorites on it are of course Carrie and Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga did a really nice job on her song. I really like Faith's and Michael Buble's songs as well. Actually most of the artists on this CD did a great job but I will say I did not really like Mariah Carey's voice on her song at all. I don't think her Tony sound good together.

Concert Stars
    I agree. My favorites on the album are Carrie's, Faith's, Michael Buble's, Lady Gaga's, and Amy Winehouse's (just cause she has a unique voice even though she sounds like she is drunk at the beginning of the song...lol.). Also like Brad's too from the clip posted on here. K.D. Lang was good too just think the song is so sober/slow though for my liking but their voices blend well together. Even though Mariah Carey's voice didn't blend well w/ Tony B. at the beginning I liked her voice on it and like the ending of the song.
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 09-21-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Concert Stars
    But if I had to pick the ones I would have on repeat it would be Carrie's, Faith's, Lady Gaga's, Amy's, and Michael Buble.
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 09-22-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Concert Stars
    ^^ Agree, but I'd have to add Brad to the list.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    ^^ Agree, but I'd have to add Brad to the list.
    Yeah I would too but it's only on the target cd and I don't have it that one. Otherwise I would have included his too to the list

Insane Carrie Fan utlovescarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I downloaded Carrie's song & decided against purchasing the CD after Tony's 9/11 remarks.

Concert Stars
    I'm going to buy the album - it's such an honor for Carrie to be selected to be on it and this is Tony's last Duets album he said, so it's pretty special. Duets can be magic or fall flat -there are enough great duets on it to make me want to buy the album - I'm going for the Target one with Brad on it

Concert Stars
    awesome. I really want Tony to beat Lady A-- lol. No offense Lady A but I want this album to debut at number 1, for the hype and buzz that a number 1 album will generate.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by utlovescarrie View Post
    I downloaded Carrie's song & decided against purchasing the CD after Tony's 9/11 remarks.
    I had already bought the cd when I heard about his 9/11 remarks or I would have done the same thing. I would have bought only Carrie's duet. Couldn't believe he said such a thing. He is 85 but I wouldn't have supported his cd had I known. Apparently he issued an apology statement of some sort. I really like Tony so it disappointed me. They should all stay out of politics like Carrie does. lol...just saying

I think people have widely misinterpreted his 9/11 remarks. Oh well, people will believe what they want to believe.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    I think people have widely misinterpreted his 9/11 remarks. Oh well, people will believe what they want to believe.
    How so??? I listened to his interview with Howard Stern and it seemed pretty straight forward to me. Maybe I m missing something but I attribute alot of it to his age or that's what I want to believe anyway..lol....I won't repeat the statement , I want to forget he made it and from his apology I think he feels the same. On a positive note he said "no one loves their country as much as I do" and I believe him but was sorely disappointed in his previous comments about 9/11.

Insane Carrie Fan utlovescarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by nanna05 View Post
    I had already bought the cd when I heard about his 9/11 remarks or I would have done the same thing. I would have bought only Carrie's duet. Couldn't believe he said such a thing. He is 85 but I wouldn't have supported his cd had I known. Apparently he issued an apology statement of some sort. I really like Tony so it disappointed me. They should all stay out of politics like Carrie does. lol...just saying
    I agree. I think my mom and mother-in-law would have loved the CD but just couldn't do it. He is 85, a pacifist and has apologized but I just can't do it. I do love Carrie on the duet but haven't listened to any of the others because then I might be tempted to cave.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast