Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Carrie Fan

George Jones celebrates 80th birthday

Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood and Rascal Flatts among others were scheduled to take to the stage to perform some of Jones' classic hit songs.

George Jones celebrates 80th birthday - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports |

Concert Stars
    Interesting that Carrie performed at George Jones' b-day since I remember him not being too fond of Carrie and TS's music or at least thought their "new country" should have a different name since he thought it was taking the identity of country music. So I would think she would be the last one he would want to perform for his b-day. Maybe a change of heart? Anyways if she did perform at his b-day that is kewl. Happy B-day George Jones!
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 09-13-2011 at 09:19 PM.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    George has always been hard on the new country but I think it was taken out of context and it was more the journalist naming Carrie and Taylor. He made amends to her at Dolly's party. All I know I would love to hear her sing one of his songs. I wonder if Brad and she will also do a Tammy Wynette and George Jones duet?

Concert Stars
    ^^^Yeah that is true that he made amends w/ her but I guess I still got the impression that he didn't care for her type of music taking over the identity of country music but that could have been from his words being taken out of context. Anyways she performed his songs so I'm sure it was all good and the fact that she was there shows that she is respected since she could have not been invited to perform. So that is kewl.

Concert Stars
    wow that's kinda neat!

Concert Stars
    are we sure she was there? I didn't see any tweets coming in, etc.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by hjj View Post
    George has always been hard on the new country but I think it was taken out of context and it was more the journalist naming Carrie and Taylor. He made amends to her at Dolly's party. All I know I would love to hear her sing one of his songs. I wonder if Brad and she will also do a Tammy Wynette and George Jones duet?
    Oh when was this? I guess I missed this cuz all I remember reading was that he dissed her! Do you think there's an old thread on here talking about the Dolly party??

ETA: I don't think either Carrie or Brad were there -- at least not according to the Opry site.

Did learn something sorta interesting looking into this a little more -- apparently there are going to be SIX special episodes of Opry Live returning to GAC!! I just wish so bad that the show would come back on a regular basis like it was before. At least we were certain we could see the Carrie performances when she was there!!!

Bummer that they aren't anymore! Back a year or two ago when the show disappeared from GAC, I called the Opry to inquire if it was going to come back. They told me to call GAC. Must have been some kind of contract issue, I guess!!!! Didn't the Opry used to be on CMT????

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    As I tried to point out at the time, George Jones was a successful Nashville Mainstream artist, who chased radio hits and changed his own music to what were then more commercial sounds. If he hadn't been , he would have followed a type of career more favoured by Purists, based on the festivals , old time radio shows and small drink-and-music venues. Mr. Jones was one of the chart artists of his day, with a deserved mega-star reputation. (That reputation was based on his songs - as far as his concerts went, with many non-appearances due to personal problems, I'd have to say that respect for his fans was a field in which he could defer to Carrie). I'm not trying to put him down - I'm just saying that his track record doesn't really leave him with strong grounds for criticising others.

As far as his huge current reputation among Country Music enthusiasts goes, I'd have to say that some of that is more symbolic, based on nostalgia for an imagined past. It's natural for some fans to feel that nostalgia, and disparage what they find less palatable - but that doesn't give them the moral high ground to impose that view on everyone. "Better than" is a subjective judgment, based on taste and experience. I appreciate him, but I'm certainly not yearning for everyone else to be like him.

But relating this to Carrie - she loves the music of the Country past, and has a generous spirit. She won't hold anything against him for a casual remark. I think it's good that she'll perform one of his songs, and I'm sure she'll do it justice. It's a tribute for her to be included - but that works both ways. George and his fans are lucky to have Carrie's interest and respect - and I hope more of them will come to appreciate that.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    As I tried to point out at the time, George Jones was a successful Nashville Mainstream artist, who chased radio hits and changed his own music to what were then more commercial sounds. If he hadn't been , he would have followed a type of career more favoured by Purists, based on the festivals , old time radio shows and small drink-and-music venues. Mr. Jones was one of the chart artists of his day, with a deserved mega-star reputation. (That reputation was based on his songs - as far as his concerts went, with many non-appearances due to personal problems, I'd have to say that respect for his fans was a field in which he could defer to Carrie). I'm not trying to put him down - I'm just saying that his track record doesn't really leave him with strong grounds for criticising others

As far as his huge current reputation among Country Music enthusiasts goes, I'd have to say that some of that is more symbolic, based on nostalgia for an imagined past. It's natural for some fans to feel that nostalgia, and disparage what they find less palatable - but that doesn't give them the moral high ground to impose that view on everyone. "Better than" is a subjective judgment, based on taste and experience. I appreciate him, but I'm certainly not yearning for everyone else to be like him.

But relating this to Carrie - she loves the music of the Country past, and has a generous spirit. She won't hold anything against him for a casual remark. I think it's good that she'll perform one of his songs, and I'm sure she'll do it justice. It's a tribute for her to be included - but that works both ways. George and his fans are lucky to have Carrie's interest and respect - and I hope more of them will come to appreciate that.
    Nice post.

Concert Stars
    Did you see the one comment on that page? LOL!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Did you see the one comment on that page? LOL!!

LOL Yeah, wasn't he also known as "No-show Jones"?!? I think he even wrote a song about it, or someone did. My brother went to one of his concerts and George didn't show up. Lots of disgruntled fans that night.

Regardless of all that, Happy Birthday to George!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    This birthday celebration will be shown on TV on GAC according to the Opry's website on October 4th so if Carrie did in fact participate then we will get to see her on TV hopefully.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by nccountrygal View Post
    This birthday celebration will be shown on TV on GAC according to the Opry's website on October 4th so if Carrie did in fact participate then we will get to see her on TV hopefully.
    Thats cool i heard that GAC was gonna start showing the Opry again.... I miss seeing Carrie on the Opry so i hope she was there

As for George i give him a pass on that interveiw.... Obviously the Journalist had an agenda and used George to make the pre-concieved point of veiw... And who can blame George for thinking his ERA was better then this ERA so i say HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nccountrygal View Post
    Seeing as Carrie is scheduled to play the Opry on Oct 4, I assume that the concert in honor of his birthday will actually taking place on that day and be televised live on GAC.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    All Access said the after the birthday party at a restaurant the whole crowd went to the Opry house for a concert. Confused about Oct 4th now. It must be another celebration.

Concert Stars
    Cary, are you indicating that they will perform during the show already scheduled on Oct. 4, or something in addition to that show? The Opry have several performers, but Brad, Alan and RF are not among those listed.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    This show is scheduled to be shown on GAC the same night that Carrie is scheduled to be performing AT the Opry. Its the same night that it assumed to be something connected to Randy Travis. I wouldn't be surprised if we won't be seeing the Carrie/Randy night shown at a later date on GAC.

ETA: As I said in my earlier post, I DON'T think either Carrie or Brad were there. There are no pictures of them and I would think in this world of twitter, that someone would have tweeted that C & B were there!

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    This was in all access:

THE GRAND OLE OPRY in NASHVILLE will return to GAC (GREAT AMERICAN COUNTRY) for six “OPRY Live” episodes to begin airing TUESDAY, OCTOBER 4th. The first show scheduled to air, an 80th birthday salute to country legend GEORGE JONES was filmed last night (9/13) and featured performances by ALAN JACKSON, JAMEY JOHNSON, THE OAK RIDGE BOYS, LEE ANN WOMACK, and more.

Shows airing on SATURDAYS, SUNDAYS and TUESDAYS in subsequent weeks will feature Country artists like TRACE ADKINS, LAUREN ALAINA, DIERKS BENTLEY, ERIC CHURCH, SARA EVANS, MARTINA MCBRIDE, RONNIE DUNN, SCOTTY McCREERY, KELLIE PICKLER, RASCAL FLATTS, LEANN RIMES, RANDY TRAVIS, JOSH TURNER, CARRIE UNDERWOOD and more. Airdates will be announced at opry.com and gactv.com.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Cary, are you indicating that they will perform during the show already scheduled on Oct. 4, or something in addition to that show? The Opry have several performers, but Brad, Alan and RF are not among those listed.
    Something is weird here. Reading the article on GAC, it say that the Opry show last night will be aired on Oct 4. But based on the artist list for subsequent shows, the Opry show on Oct 4 will be part of the 6 shows they will air. So either someone has got things mixed up or the Opry shows will not be aired live.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Something is weird here. Reading the article on GAC, it say that the Opry show last night will be aired on Oct 4. But based on the artist list for subsequent shows, the Opry show on Oct 4 will be part of the 6 shows they will air. So either someone has got things mixed up or the Opry shows will not be aired live.
    The way I read the article is that the shows WON'T be aired live. It's going to be a package of 6 shows that will be shown in future dates. Granted the title is a little misleading since apparently its going to be going by the Opry Live name. But the shows will be 'live' to tape. Kinda like how they did with the Christmas show they did a few years back with Carrie, Martina and Julianne -- taped and shown on a Saturday night.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast