Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar

TV Ratings Spur CMA Awards Bidding War

Here is an interesting article. If this is true and the network for the CMA Awards is not set yet, then contrary to previous discussions the choice of Brad and Carrie as hosts was strictly made by the CMA and was not influenced by any network input.

TV Ratings Spur CMA Awards Bidding War

Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood will host it, but which major network will be the home of the upcoming 45th annual CMA Awards? Although ABC has partnered with country music's biggest awards show for the past five years, reports have surfaced that the top three three-letter networks have engaged in a bidding war to the rights of the telecast.

Adding to its impressive ratings track record for the past five CMA Awards broadcasts, ABC has announced that nearly seven million people tuned in to this past Sunday night's 'CMA Music Festival: Country Music's Night to Rock,' making for the network's biggest summertime numbers in the time period in nearly five years. Now, NBC, the network responsible for making 'The Voice' celebrity judge Blake Shelton a household name, has reportedly entered into negotiations to broadcast the November awards show. CBS, the original 34-year home of the CMA Awards, is also rumored to be bidding on the red-hot franchise.

With Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina's country music clean-sweep during the most recent season of 'American Idol,' and Blake's high-profile gig with pop heavyweights Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green and Adam Levine of Maroon 5, country music has never been as visible as it has been in 2011. Who will win the bidding war for the hottest commodity in country music? A decision is expected to be announced by the end of the month.

The 2011 CMA Awards will air live from Nashville's Bridgestone Arena on November 9 at 8:00 PM ET. This year's telecast marks Brad and Carrie's fourth consecutive year as co-hosts.
    Source: TV Ratings Spur CMA Awards Bidding War - The Boot

Concert Stars
    I wonder what will happen? I'd like to see CBS take it as I think they would do the best job. ABC always seems to have quality problems - but I'm not sure if it's them or the live nature of the show. I always thought this stuff was settled years in advance, guess not. I have a feeling they'll stick with ABC. CBS has the ACMs, Fox has the ACAs which they announced will be back this year. NBC doesn't carry a Country awards however, so I could see them bidding just to see if they'll get it...

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    There is ZERO truth to this article concerning this year's CMA's.

The 45th Annual CMA Awards

Not only did Brad & Carrie say that show was on ABC in the video message they had announcing that they were hosting but it is also on the CMA's website that the show is on ABC.

Come on, seriously does anyone actually think that the CMA's would not have a network to telecast the show less than three months before the show is going to air, wherever this story came from they should actually do some research before posting something that is not true, now the contract with ABC might be over with after this year but that is next year and that is what the article should say but it shouldn't say that there is a bidding war to telecast the show this year when that is just NOT true.

I can't believe that someone who is in the business like The Boot is would post that story.
    Last edited by JB172; 08-17-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Concert Stars
    ^^ I hate when writers just lie for a story...

Plus, during the CMA Fest this past Sunday, ABC aired a short but sweet ad for the CMAs. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future, though...

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    ^^ I hate when writers just lie for a story...
    This same story was posted in the CMA nomination thread yesterday with the story coming for VH1, whoever wrote the original story either is just stupid for not finding out the fact that the show is going to be on ABC or they made a huge mistake in saying that the bidding is open for this year shows when it might actually be for next year.

Either way there is no way that a writer can make that big of a mistake and it is even a bigger mistake that webistes such as VH1 & The Boot are running with a story that is just not true.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeyjones18 View Post
    Plus, during the CMA Fest this past Sunday, ABC aired a short but sweet ad for the CMAs. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future, though...
    LOL, I know.

Maybe someone should tell ABC & CMA even though they have an agreement to telecast the show that there is a bidding war going on to telecast the show.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Maybe the negotiations are for the 2012 CMA Awards.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Maybe the negotiations are for the 2012 CMA Awards.
    That is still no excuse for a site like The Boot to post a story that is proven not to be true, VERY poor job on their part or on the part on any website that posts such a false story.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    There is some fine fact checking going on at The Boot when they had this article on their site earlier in the summer.

Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood Return as Hosts of CMA Awards - The Boot

The 45th Annual CMA Awards will air live from Nashville's Bridgestone Arena on November 9, 2011 at 8:00 PM ET on ABC.

Insane Carrie Fan
    For the CMA's safety Carrie and Brad hosting better be a ABC decision because if not the "you are good enough to host but dont to be nominated" excuse would be true and well...you know some of us lol

Carrie Guru
    I hope it will stay at CBS because, in my opinion, CBS is the only old tv network that still has the courage to broadcast Christian theme !

Junior Carrie Follower Butterfly13's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I don't care what network it's on as long as it airs and I get to see Carrie and everyone else

But yeah, The Boot shouldn't be posting false articles if they don't have proof.

Concert Stars
    hmm...they even mentioned this on the radio this morning. Then again, I doubt they really dig deep to check sources.

Obsessed Carrie Fan undrwood9098's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Meh. Give it to FOX. That way they can promote the hell out of Carrie.

That'd be nice, of course. Out of the three, though, stick with ABC. They've done fine with the show the past 5 years.

If this article is true that they are possibly bidding for future CMA awards broadcast...... whichever network that wants to continue with Carrie/Brad as hosts (and not get some flavour of the month) will be my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by undrwood9098 View Post
    Meh. Give it to FOX. That way they can promote the hell out of Carrie.

That'd be nice, of course. Out of the three, though, stick with ABC. They've done fine with the show the past 5 years.
    Nah, with or without CMA, Fox will always promote the hell out of Carrie anyway. Better to spread the Carrie promo to other networks/shows too

Plus, Fox's new country awards last year was pretty terrible lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    That is still no excuse for a site like The Boot to post a story that is proven not to be true, VERY poor job on their part or on the part on any website that posts such a false story.

How exactly is it not true for next year?? There's many article's stating the exact same thing, but mention that the show for THIS year is on abc.

http://www.zimbio.com/Carrie+Underwo...012+CMA+Awards

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by HuiZ View Post
    Nah, with or without CMA, Fox will always promote the hell out of Carrie anyway. Better to spread the Carrie promo to other networks/shows too

Plus, Fox's new country awards last year was pretty terrible lol.
    I really think Fox's intention was to give those chosen what was really due.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkie View Post
    How exactly is it not true for next year?? There's many article's stating the exact same thing, but mention that the show for THIS year is on abc.

Networks Battling Over Rights to 2012 CMA Awards - Carrie Underwood - Zimbio
    I think he/she is talking about the fact that the article is making it seem like it's this year they are fighting over, which makes it blatantly not true.
    becca T

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast