Ultimate Carrie Fan

ĎAmerican Idolí didnít kill country

The Great Depression, Elvis Presley, polyester leisure suits, synthesizers, ďAchy Breaky Heart,Ē Auto-Tune, songs about sippy cups, Shania Twainís navel, Chris Gainesí soul patch, the Internet, Jessica Simpsonís navel, Jessica Simpsonís Nashville album, the great depression caused by hearing Jessica Simpsonís Nashville album...

Add American Idol to the long list of things that didnít kill country music.

Five years ago, as Idol winner Carrie Underwood ascended into the superstar stratosphere, the panicked word was that Music Row labels would no longer bother to sign singers who hadnít won, or even lost, some kind of television competition.

Peter Cooper:

Concert Stars
    thank God they did!!

Junior Carrie Follower
    And add this to the comment from the same article....Underwood, who has emerged as the most commercially accomplished ex-Idol contestant in any genre..Wonderful!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Nothing's likely to kill Country Music. More than any other genre I know, it's a vast tapestry of styles, old and new, with tradition and innovation existing side by side. None of the styles and sub-genres ever die out - there are always enthusiasts who perform them and listen to them. At the same time you have cutting edge innovation and willingness to explore new directions. Most of the sub-genres have both traditional and progressive wings - they don't always like each other, but it's their continued co-existence that makes the field so varied and exciting.

Peter's a good case in point - his day job is writing mainly about artists and developments on the Mainstream side, while his own music and songwriting is on the Roots side.

That said, I think we have to recognize that American Idol has been a mixed blessing for Carrie. Of course, we shouldn't under-estimate it's importance for her career break - or her personal loyalty to it. But, at the same time, American Idol has been one of the main reasons some industry insiders, some other artists, some critics and some Country Music fans diaparage her - they see her (unjustly) as an artificial product of media hype and celebrity obsession.

I think that view is breaking down, as people see the breadth and depth of her talent - but it still exists, and, in that sense, American Idol is still the millstone that needs to be balanced in assessing Carrie's gifts. I've said before that American Idol didn't make Carrie - Carrie made American Idol recognize her for the talented artist she was.

Personally, I think the way to balance Carrie's critics is not primarily to talk up her number ones and awards, and not to run down other artists. Those things, in themselves, are not likely to impress those critics. What I try to do is to include her pre-Idol independent work (which was very impressive, and shouldn't be dismissed as "demos", simply because - like most artists - she didn't have a recording deal and wasn't on the radio); include her present day live "cover" performances, duets, and special appearances; highlight her great voice and emotional range, generous nature, respect for other artists, and willingness to explore new approaches to her music.

All of that balances Idol, and balances the focus on transient number ones - it's stylistic breadth and depth, and commitment to the soul of her performances, that tend to be more impressive in weighing up an artist's importance - and Carrie has those in spades.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Nothing's likely to kill Country Music. More than any other genre I know, it's a vast tapestry of styles, old and new, with tradition and innovation existing side by side. None of the styles and sub-genres ever die out - there are always enthusiasts who perform them and listen to them. At the same time you have cutting edge innovation and willingness to explore new directions. Most of the sub-genres have both traditional and progressive wings - they don't always like each other, but it's their continued co-existence that makes the field so varied and exciting.

Peter's a good case in point - his day job is writing mainly about artists and developments on the Mainstream side, while his own music and songwriting is on the Roots side.

That said, I think we have to recognize that American Idol has been a mixed blessing for Carrie. Of course, we shouldn't under-estimate it's importance for her career break - or her personal loyalty to it. But, at the same time, American Idol has been one of the main reasons some industry insiders, some other artists, some critics and some Country Music fans diaparage her - they see her (unjustly) as an artificial product of media hype and celebrity obsession.

I think that view is breaking down, as people see the breadth and depth of her talent - but it still exists, and, in that sense, American Idol is still the millstone that needs to be balanced in assessing Carrie's gifts. I've said before that American Idol didn't make Carrie - Carrie made American Idol recognize her for the talented artist she was.

Personally, I think the way to balance Carrie's critics is not primarily to talk up her number ones and awards, and not to run down other artists. Those things, in themselves, are not likely to impress those critics. What I try to do is to include her pre-Idol independent work (which was very impressive, and shouldn't be dismissed as "demos", simply because - like most artists - she didn't have a recording deal and wasn't on the radio); include her present day live "cover" performances, duets, and special appearances; highlight her great voice and emotional range, generous nature, respect for other artists, and willingness to explore new approaches to her music.

All of that balances Idol, and balances the focus on transient number ones - it's stylistic breadth and depth, and commitment to the soul of her performances, that tend to be more impressive in weighing up an artist's importance - and Carrie has those in spades.
    Yet it seemed to me in the article the author was giving a pass to Chris Young and Miranda Lambert. As if somehow since the show they came from is okay since it was called 'Nashville Star'. We'll see who's still standing and in the public eye 5 years from now. I know who it will be and it isn't anyone who came from a show called Nashville Star!

The thing I found so funny is that Nashville had their chance to 'discover' Carrie Underwood and they blew it! To me all this article highlights is how out of touch those in charge of the record labels are. And they're more reactionary than visionary. One can only imagine if Carrie's original record deal would have been kept!

My hope for Carrie is that she just keeps on doing what she's doing because with each new performance and each new song and each new endeavor, she continues to blow the roof off with greatness and just plain awesomeness. There isn't one other artist in the current country music landscape that has given one, let alone TWO, most talked about performances on a national stage for all the world to see.

Concert Stars
    I read the Tennessean every day, and in my opinon, Peter Cooper has never given Carrie her due!!! I've noticed it for a long, long time!!!!

Concert Stars
    I think Carrie is very respected by alot of her peers and alot of older singers at that - many have asked why she didn't try out for Nashville Star being a country music contest instead of Idol and Carrie answered that question - Nashville Star was a cable network show and they didn't get cable way out on their farm in Checotah Oklahoma so she never knew about it. But she had seen Idol.
    Carrie is wending her way in her career, beautifully, with strong albums and performances that bring in new fans and that's what counts - old fans and new fans plus garnering new fans in the music industry- she's on a roll, the new fans may not be the internet voting kind but they go to her concerts and buy her albums.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    All good comments thanks everyone.

Insane Carrie Fan utlovescarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I found this article a little snarky and a bit dismissive of Carrie and all her accomplishments. But I think in a lot of people's minds that since Carrie is just a flat out spot-on-every-time performer that they forget just how amazing her talent is. They did give Nashville Star & its 2 artists a pass. I actually think that Chris is very talented - Miranda is okay (depends on the song). But Miranda's success with THTBM is proof of my above statement. She releases a song that is better then the stuff she usually releases (but IMO NOT as great as everyone raved it to be) and it's all WOW and AMAZING and wins awards over and over for years. For 1 song. In her entire career. Followed by bad live performances and not good songs.

Concert Stars
    Peter Cooper is not Pro-Carrie by any means. I have also read several other comments by him that have raised my eyebrows if not my temper! lol

Needless to say he can continue to write what ever because the readers of the Tennessean have spoken! lol About a week ago they were running this poll and looky looky who won!!! lol

http://www.toastofmusiccity.com/

Best Local Celebrity

1. Carrie Underwood
    2. Skyla Spencer
    3. Brad Paisley

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Reading that article was a waste of a few minutes of my life.

Carrie Guru
    The other blond girl killed country music because she got confuse between country and pop -- consequently, it makes radio stations confuse too

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    ITA. The article title is eye-catching, but very misleading. A more appropriate title could be: "American Idol still producing idle idols". The article is a knock on American Idol who produces mediocre music artists. Based on what I have heard and read on this season's crop, I tend to agree. Some of the AI tour reviews have been lukewarm, at best. But AI has never embraced country music, so the writer using the term 'kill country' is not relevant.

Junior Carrie Follower carrieultimate's Avatar
    We need to learn to ignore articles like this. Who really cares what one person's opinion on this matter is? All that matters is that Carrie did audition for Idol and now look at her 6 years later - A country SUPERSTAR!

I didn't like how the writer of this article referenced what it would be like for old school country to try out for Idol today. Don't get me wrong, I love old country like Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Randy Travis, but thhey were trying to get into the business decades ago and things were so much different. People like Carrie, Kellie Pickler and even Chris Young and Miranda Lambert knew what they wanted and were basically trying everything they could to make it big in Nashville. It just turns out that the reality show route worked for them.

Carrie is the only one though that has had major success right from the start and I predict 20 or even 30 years from now she will still be relevant with new music and even still touring. Chris and Miranda have seen marginal success this past year or 2, but who knows how long it will last. Kellie on the other hand tours like crazy and releases plenty of singles, but country radio doesn't seem very supportive of her. I'm just waiting for her to find her place in country music and show us what she can really do.

Because Carrie came from Idol, I take offense when anyone tries to disparage the reality TV route. It does bring us great artists. It just happens to be in a different way that some might prefer. But those people need to get with the times and realize reality TV is a major part of today's music industry.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carrieultimate View Post
    We need to learn to ignore ...Because Carrie came from Idol, I take offense when anyone tries to disparage the reality TV route. It does bring us great artists. It just happens to be in a different way that some might prefer. But those people need to get with the times and realize reality TV is a major part of today's music industry.
    So true. These people are burying their heads in the sand.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    Yet it seemed to me in the article the author was giving a pass to Chris Young and Miranda Lambert. As if somehow since the show they came from is okay since it was called 'Nashville Star'. We'll see who's still standing and in the public eye 5 years from now. I know who it will be and it isn't anyone who came from a show called Nashville Star!

The thing I found so funny is that Nashville had their chance to 'discover' Carrie Underwood and they blew it! To me all this article highlights is how out of touch those in charge of the record labels are. And they're more reactionary than visionary. One can only imagine if Carrie's original record deal would have been kept!

My hope for Carrie is that she just keeps on doing what she's doing because with each new performance and each new song and each new endeavor, she continues to blow the roof off with greatness and just plain awesomeness. There isn't one other artist in the current country music landscape that has given one, let alone TWO, most talked about performances on a national stage for all the world to see.
    I think that one of the reasons why both Lambert and Young gets a "free pass" is because some in the country industry looked at them having had played in bars, clubs, etc.. before going on "Nashville Star" as part of paying their dues nonsense that goes on.

Concert Stars
    Funny they don't ever mention "The Voice", and what that has done for Blake's popularity!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I think that one of the reasons why both Lambert and Young gets a "free pass" is because some in the country industry looked at them having had played in bars, clubs, etc.. before going on "Nashville Star" as part of paying their dues nonsense that goes on.
    Well that may be but then anyone wanting to do an article like this in the future needs to do some basic research and fact finding since Carrie paid her dues as well. Sure maybe it wasn't in a ton of bars but she did do other events and festivals etc. It still is all hogwash IMO but like I say, I'm confident who'll be standing 5 years from now and like I said, it won't be anyone from a show named Nashville Star!!!!

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I believe Chris was 20 when he won NS, so doubt he played at too many bars.

Obsessed Carrie Fan carrieismy1idol's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I Agree With You!

•