Ultimate Carrie Fan

Music Review: Randy Travis - Anniversary Celebration

Finally, I love "Is It Still Over?" because it features my favorite country artist, Carrie Underwood. The song is fun to listen to and I love the mix of the two country stars.

Concert Stars
    wonderful little comment...it's a great song!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I don't know whether the BBC review has been posted before (it's been out a few weeks), but if not...it's by Nick Barraclough, who's a radio host and no mean Bluegrass musician himself :

"Carrie Underwood is positively perky on Is It Still Over?, a hit for Travis back in 1989; her contributions leave the star of this show sounding very much the old man"

(The reviews often contain a bit of wry humour - but don't worry, the first paragraph is kinder to Randy Travis!)
    BBC - Music - Review of Randy Travis - Anniversary Celebration

Concert Stars
    Is "amusing results" and "positively perky" a good thing, coming from this man? I am going to take it as a positive!!!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Is "amusing results" and "positively perky" a good thing, coming from this man? I am going to take it as a positive!!!!
    Oh yes - he likes Carrie. His work with the BBC tends to concentrate on modern Mainstream Country, and he admires Carrie's voice and attitude. The way I read that bit is that he finds their voices quite a contrast. Other reviewers have pointed out that most male singers in the genre would find it a struggle to shine vocally in Carrie's company. I think it's generally a reasonable observation that many of the male voices sound relatively laid-back and perhaps lacking in range and expression when compared to the best of the female singers. Whether that's the most appropriate way to judge what is, after all, a celebration of Randy Travis's 25 years in the business is debatable. I think Barraclough praises Randy in the first part of the review - but I got the impression that he feels some of the songs are best left in the context of the era that produced them, and don't always seem strong enough material today.

Concert Stars
    Thanks Faraway. Yes, it's pretty obvious about the range thing with alot of the men. As far as the expression, alot of men have trouble showing or expressing their emotions. I wonder if this translates into their song? When Randy introduced Carrie at the CMT best artists....he mentioned that she was blessed with a voice that most of them could not compare to..those were not his exact words. What did you think about Randy's comment, that he was surprised when Carrie picked that song to sing on his album? He said, "Are you sure"? Wish he would have explained that more.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That was a nice comment, its a great song

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I really like the duets with Paisley, Chenoweth (no one even mentioned her and I love it) and course Carrie!! Others weren't bad either but those 3 were my favorites!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Thanks Faraway. Yes, it's pretty obvious about the range thing with alot of the men. As far as the expression, alot of men have trouble showing or expressing their emotions. I wonder if this translates into their song? When Randy introduced Carrie at the CMT best artists....he mentioned that she was blessed with a voice that most of them could not compare to..those were not his exact words. What did you think about Randy's comment, that he was surprised when Carrie picked that song to sing on his album? He said, "Are you sure"? Wish he would have explained that more.

Hadn't heard that and would also enjoy hearing the answer! Think he loves when she sings ballads and maybe was hoping she'd pick one but not sure what that comment was all about. Anyone heard????

Concert Stars
    After he said it, he just shook his head, smiling. Then said, "she can sing anything".

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    After he said it, he just shook his head, smiling. Then said, "she can sing anything".
    Thats what I love about Randy - he takes every opportunity to mention how talented she is - plus respects her!!

•