Ultimate Carrie Fan

Sounds of joy: Carrie Underwood, other stars align at ACM Lifting Lives

Sounds of joy: Carrie Underwood, other stars align at ACM Lifting Lives camp in Nashville

* Article by: CHRIS TALBOTT , Associated Press
    * Updated: July 1, 2011 - 2:49 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Carrie Underwood turned in one of the most-talked about performances with Steven Tyler at this year's Academy of Country Music Awards. Three months later, though, it was another performance that night in Las Vegas that was on her mind.

Underwood met with participants in the ACM Lifting Lives Music Camp this week. Developmentally disabled campers who attended the session last year joined Darius Rucker on stage during the awards telecast in April, an emotional highlight on a night with a lot of strong performances.

"Just what a special thing that was," Underwood said. "Everybody sitting in the audience and for everybody sitting at home, and obviously the campers on stage, they were loving every single second of it."

Underwood met with campers Wednesday, talked about her recording experiences, gave advice and posed for pictures.

"I was like shocked," said camper Mackenzie Mansour, a 16-year-old from Lone Oak, Texas. "I didn't know what to do. I was like, `Um, should I say hi to her or should I hug her?' I was like, `Gotta think.'"

Mackenzie didn't waste any time making an impression on Underwood, though: "I said, `Do you want me to sing with you?' She said, `No, I'll sing to you.'

"You can just tell how much they love it and how proud they are of themselves just from recording a song, writing a song," Underwood added. "I think we all kind of forget what a special gift that we have and we're able to participate in every single day. And music is definitely a universal language. Anybody can speak it. Anybody can love it. Anybody can be involved in it. You can just tell how happy it makes them.'"

Link: Sounds of joy: Carrie Underwood, other stars align at ACM Lifting Lives camp in Nashville | StarTribune.com

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post

Mackenzie didn't waste any time making an impression on Underwood, though: "I said, `Do you want me to sing with you?' She said, `No, I'll sing to you.'
    Love her!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    Reading this brings tears to my eyes!!

Most people don't realize how much joy these special people bring to life! They are so innocent and see beauty in life that most people take for granted!!

God bless all the artists who participated in this Lifting Lives event!

Carrie Guru
    I do not know what to say anymore except : "Carrie Underwood is a very very special lady".

Concert Stars
    wow I actually got teary!

See this is why we are carrie underwood's fans because of the beautiful heart she has. shame on all the people who constantly put her down saying she is fake and all the nasty stuff they say.God put Carrie Underwood on this earth for her beautiful voice and her caring heart. God Bless you Carrie!!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Carrie is such a caring and kind person. This story made me teary.

Concert Stars
    I've run out of words. A gorgeous, caring, beautiful heart!

•