Ultimate Carrie Fan

The 'American Idol' Afterglow: 15 Alums Are on This Week's Billboard Charts

June 22, 2011
    By Fred Bronson, Los Angeles

It's been just four weeks since the season 10 finale of "American Idol," so it's no surprise that winner Scotty McCreery is appearing on several Billboard charts, including Hot Country Songs (where his debut single "I Love You This Big" bullets 25-22), Country Digital Songs and Top Country Albums. But will he still be charting 10 years from now? With 15 Idols from the series' first decade listed on the Billboard charts this week, the odds are in his favor.

The 17-year-old deep-voiced season 10 champ and runner-up Lauren Alaina both have multiple chart entries this week, joining 13 other Idols and representing every season of the highly-rated Fox series but one (season 9). Their singles and albums occupy slots on charts from several different genres, including pop, country, R&B, Christian and Broadway. Within those genres, the Idols are listed on charts ranging from Adult Contemporary and Adult Top 40 to Adult R&B and Christian Adult Contemporary.

Of course, first-season winner Kelly Clarkson has been charting for 10 years. Counting all national, domestic charts compiled by Billboard, she has earned 60 of Idol's 301 number one titles, including her current hit, "Don't You Wanna Stay," recorded as a duet with Jason Aldean. A former No. 1 on Hot Country Songs and Country Digital Songs, the single is now experiencing crossover success, jumping 12-11 on this week's Adult Top 40 chart and 17-15 in its second week on the Adult Contemporary tally.

From Season two, Ruben Studdard has amassed 16 No. 1s to date and is currently No. 2 on the Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart and No. 32 on the Adult R&B list, featured with Keke Wyatt on "Saturday Love." Season three's champ, Fantasia, is No. 11 on the Adult R&B chart with her Motown-sampling "Collard Greens & Cornbread," and No. 67 on Top R&B Albums with "Back to Me." From that same season, Academy Award-winner Jennifer Hudson has a pair of singles from her "I Remember Me" album on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, including her latest hit, "No One Gonna Love You," which climbs 50-42. The parent album slides 13-18 on Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and is No. 94 on The Billboard 200.

Even though it's been 85 weeks since fourth-season winner Carrie Underwood (who did a Superstar Q&A at Billboard's recent Country Music Summit) released a new album, the singer from Checotah, Oklahoma, has not suffered a diminished chart presence. She has a career total of 50 No. 1s to her credit, including her latest, a live recording of the standard "How Great Thou Art," which topped the Christian Digital Songs and Christian/Gospel Digital Songs charts. Underwood's "Jesus, Take The Wheel" and "Temporary Home" have also taken up residence on these two Christian charts, with the former resurging to No. 3 two weeks ago. Underwood's latest single, a duet with Brad Paisley on "Remind Me," leaps 21-17 on the Hot Country Songs survey and surges 9-3 on Country Digital Songs. Meanwhile, "Play On" lives on, ranking No. 18 on the Top Country Catalog Albums chart.

Link to rest of article: The 'American Idol' Afterglow: 15 Alums Are on This Week's Billboard Charts | Billboard.biz

Concert Stars
    nice little update on her chart totals!! Thanks for posting!

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That was really nice, Carrie always does so amazing

Concert Stars
    Poor season 9... lol.

Concert Stars
    Considering Carrie's career is 6 years and she has 50 #1's pretty impressive - I wonder how many she will have when her career is ten years old ?

Insane Carrie Fan utlovescarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    NICE!!! I love reading about Carrie's success.

•