Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar

Scotty McCreery 'wants to separate self from Idol' (Carrie Mentioned)

Scotty McCreery 'wants to separate self from Idol'
    By Jennifer Still, Entertainment Reporter

Scotty McCreery has confessed that he hopes to "separate" himself from American Idol.

The 17-year-old, who was crowned the winner of the competition's tenth season last month, told AOL's The Boot that he hopes to overcome the stigma that can often be associated with beginning a music career on reality TV.

"It's a lot of pressure. Just the title of American Idol is something that people can look up to. I'm not Saint Scott, I'm not Mr Perfect but I want to be that role model," he explained.

"I want to go down the same road that Carrie Underwood did - kinda separate myself from Idol. Because when you think of Carrie Underwood now, you don't think, 'American Idol Season Four winner', you just think, 'Carrie Underwood'. I want to cross that bridge. There's a lot of pressure and work that goes into it, but I'm looking forward to it."

McCreery went on to say that he had no doubts about his ability to do well on Idol despite being a country singer, adding: "I have that old flavor in my songs and old sound, but you've gotta keep it contemporary in today's world. I didn't feel like I was the underdog, I just felt like I was being me and I was anxious to see where that took me."
    Source: Scotty McCreery 'wants to separate self from Idol' - American Idol News - Music - Digital Spy

Concert Stars
    completely agree with his statement...Carrie has done so well and I hope he can too!

Concert Stars
    Darn you Scotty now im gonna have to like you.... LOL

Concert Stars
    I really like Scotty and Lauren. They seem like really good kids and good role models so far.

Concert Stars
    I hope this doesn't mean he won't recognize that Idol made him who he is; Carrie never has. She always, always thanks Idol and Simon Fuller for getting her where she is today.

Carrie Guru
    Carrie has NEVER consciously separated herself from Idol, in fact, she embraced it. Look what happens in Australia, she is still being introduced as American Idol Winner. Scotty has NOT accomplished anything yet and he wants to separate himself from Idol ?...ha..ha..ha.... so funny.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirasa45A View Post
    Carrie has NEVER consciously separated herself from Idol, in fact, she embraced it. Look what happens in Australia, she is still being introduced as American Idol Winner. Scotty has NOT accomplished anything yet and he wants to separate himself from Idol ?...ha..ha..ha.... so funny.
    huh? all he said was that his goal was to be respected as more than just an idol winner someday... he knows there's a lot of work to do. carrie is still known as an idol winner but shes certainly respected for more than just that.
    becca T

Concert Stars
    I bet Carrie has passed on alot of good advice to them!

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    huh? all he said was that his goal was to be respected as more than just an idol winner someday... he knows there's a lot of work to do. carrie is still known as an idol winner but shes certainly respected for more than just that.
    becca T
    He should say it like you did !

^^I think he just meant that he wants to be much more than just an AI winner, to achieve more than be a wiiner on a singing contest.

Oh gosh, now I'm defending the kid lol. He's so likeable. I'm still not that highly impressed with his voice, after all, I have Carrie as my high standard lol, but he's such a nice kid who seems to understand that he has to put it a lot of hard work to succeed in country.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Agree with you. Perhaps Scotty was misquoted, but at face value, he should be a bit more grateful for Idol. He does not have anything to hang his hat on other than Idol at the moment.

It's good that he wants to cross that bridge, but that's after numerous hits, numerous awards and seriously stand out from the crowd (that contains Billy Currington, Luke Bryan, Josh Turner, etc. and eventually from the A-group of Brad, Jason, Kenny, Blake, Darius, etc.). That's going to take awhile...

Huge Carrie Follower quincyeyes's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I have been impressed with Scotty's character from early in the show. I remember when he cried and said he didn't deserve to go through after Jaycee (I think that was his name) was kicked out of the group Scotty ended up being in in Hollywood although not by Scotty. I am not a fan of the impression given in this quote or perhaps how it was framed. Carrie has in fact never tried to separate herself from American Idol. It is one of the things I love about her. She knows that Idol gave her her break and she has carried Idol with her. I think there have been others who have tried to separate themselves from idol and view it as a negative thing but I don't think Carrie has ever publicly expressed that or even any notion that she feels that way. I think Carrie feels she owes Idol a lot and I think Idol owes Carrie A LOT. I can understand that at some point Scotty will not want to be defined by Idol but as a country music singer instead. That is understandable. However, he is a long way from that imo. He has to earn that and there is tough competition out there. In the meantime, it is a huge accomplishment to be the winner of American Idol. I think Scotty's heart is in the right place. I really like him. He is very young but has handled himself with such poise. He is like Carrie in that way. He certainly could look for no better role model than Carrie.

Huge Carrie Follower quincyeyes's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    Agree with you. Perhaps Scotty was misquoted, but at face value, he should be a bit more grateful for Idol. He does not have anything to hang his hat on other than Idol at the moment.

It's good that he wants to cross that bridge, but that's after numerous hits, numerous awards and seriously stand out from the crowd (that contains Billy Currington, Luke Bryan, Josh Turner, etc. and eventually from the A-group of Brad, Jason, Kenny, Blake, Darius, etc.). That's going to take awhile...
    This is o/t but I just don't get why Billy Currington is not in the A group. His songs do really well. I saw him open for Carrie and he was fantastic. I don't understand why he is not recognized more or what the deal is frankly. I love the guy.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by nannygirl View Post
    I hope this doesn't mean he won't recognize that Idol made him who he is; Carrie never has. She always, always thanks Idol and Simon Fuller for getting her where she is today.
    I'm pretty sure Scotty just meant he eventually wants to be known as a serious artist, not just "another American Idol winner." I don't think he meant to take a jab at Idol or anything.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I'm a little disappointed that he would even think about separating himself right now. There is such a thing as loyalty. He hasn't even begun...geez.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

I'm pretty sure Scotty just meant he eventually wants to be known as a serious artist, not just "another American Idol winner." I don't think he meant to take a jab at Idol or anything.
    What being an American Idol winner isn't serious enough? Really, Carrie thanked American Idol each time she received her awards for years. I know he is only 17...but.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Either way not a great way to start..maybe it was taken out of context...and what about his other statement about never seeing himself as the 'underdog' ( I sure did) and that he was always confident that he would do well in the competition..(sure surprised me that he even made to the top 12) Obviously I'm in the minority. Good luck to Scotty I think he's going to need it, big time.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    A lot of people will take his statements in a negative way; it just cant be helped. It is too early of the game to make those statements. Let action speaks rather than words. He should be praising AI right now for giving him a chance to make it in the music world and then make those kind of statements after. Carrie is still associated with AI wherever she goes and she is grateful. Scotty is young and still has lots of things to learn.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I remember Kelly Clarkson also trying her hardest to distance and separate herself from Idol.
    Always preferred Carrie's attitude of recognizing what it's done for her and not being ashamed of it. haha, even to THIS DAY, Carrie still thanks Simon Fuller! She is known FAR more than just an American Idol Winner but that is because of what Carrie HAS DONE, not something that she tried to disregard. Her attitude of gratitude and humility added on to her incredible talents is what made her who she is as an artist and person. no wonder Carrie is always up for grabs. everyone wants to work with her and WILLING to work well for her because she's so humble.

honestly, I'm surprised at how Scotty wants to "separate" himself from Idol so soon. He hasn't even made a record yet!

Obsessed Carrie Fan undrwood9098's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I just hope that he doesn't isolate himself into his own categorization of persons, rather than keeping himself in the same boat as all the other Idols. Carrie, especially, will never, ever not recognize her fans and/or Idol in any way, shape, form, interview, acceptance speech, album liner notes, etc. because she knows that the fans' votes and Idol itself gave her the career she only could've once dreamt of.

As long as Scotty stays down to earth and continues to recognize Idol for being the "rocketship to his launch pad" (so to speak), then he'll continue with the growing fanbase. If not, then he may lose likability, as well as some fans. Carrie's always commended for never forgetting the roots of her career, so if he wants to really build the kind of career that Carrie has, then he better make sure he does as Carrie does.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast