Insane Carrie Fan AdrianAustraliaCarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Carrie's eye on extending her reach beyond the US

Carrie Underwood sings with banjo-playing Australian country music star Keith Urban at last year's 43rd Annual Country Music Awards in Nashville. Picture: AP Source: AP

FINALLY, former American Idol winner Carrie Underwood is heading Down Under, writes Jonathon Moran

CARRIE Underwood is ready to explore uncharted territory.
    In the nearly six years since she was crowned the winner of American Idol, she has focused on building her career in the US.
    And it's paid off. She has five Grammy Awards to her name and has sold more than 13 million albums in her career to date.
    But with her profile well and truly established in America, Underwood is looking further afield. Hence her first visit to Australia this week.
    "I just think it's time for something new," Underwood says from her Nashville home.
    "I want to do things I haven't done and have fun with it.

"There are a lot of places I haven't seen for myself
    and I'm not getting any younger."

Underwood is a superstar in the US, much loved as a cross-over country sweetheart.
    She says it's been a full-time job writing and recording albums, touring and supporting the releases there.
    "We've been trying (to get to Australia) for a few years now but we could never get our schedules to click," explained Underwood, who will perform live on Ch 7's Dancing With The Stars tonight.
    Like many of her country counterparts, including fellow cross-over pop country star Taylor Swift, Underwood avoids the hype of Hollywood or New York. She and new husband, hockey player Mike Fisher, live in Nashville and are neighbours with Australians Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman.
    "I've heard Nicole talk very fondly about how she can just be a normal person here," says Underwood.
    "It's a big small town. You run into everyone at the grocery store."
    Underwood and Fisher, who plays for the Nashville Predators, wed in the US last July.
    Between enjoying her new married life and working, there's not much time for anything else, and kids are a way off.
    "Not right now. We just want to be married for a bit and be able to travel and to enjoy each other and our careers," she says.
    Being married has changed the way Underwood looks at her music. She says it's made her more romantic.
    "I've never been one for mushy love songs," she says.
    "But it is impossible not to be inspired. I find that I do write a little more of those than I used to."
    Her third studio album, Play On, was released in 2009 and she's in the midst of working on her next. But she's in no rush.
    "I'm definitely taking my time on this one," she says. "Right now I've been writing a lot of up-tempo songs."
    While she's achieved a lot of mainstream success, not least winning American Idol in 2005, she is unashamedly country.
    That said, she's open to exploring different sounds and currently has Adele's new album, 21, on high rotation.

Meet any country music artist and they'll almost certainly agree that the genre has a negative stereotype.
    But increasingly, country stars are crossing over to the mainstream.
    Underwood and Taylor Swift are perfect examples, both embraced by commercial radio and very much part of the mainstream music scene.
    As well as her music, Underwood has recently broadened her experience to include film, making her acting debut in the acclaimed feature film Soul Surfer.
    "I don't know if I'm an actress now but that was so special. There's so many wonderful things that I feel like I could be a part of. That was one of them."nte
    Carrie Underwood, Play On deluxe edition is out now.

(Very similiar to Tee's SMH article she posted!)

Carrie Guru
    Thank you for posting the article.

Concert Stars
    Great interview. Can't wait for album 4.

Concert Stars
    Love it that they pictured her with Keith!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That picture of Keith & Carrie is adorable! I've never seen it before.

Concert Stars
    It's a still from Carrie/Keith/Brad performing SLT on last years CMA Awards!

Concert Stars
    It's great they are using Keith as promo for Carrie aswell! I'm surprised that they didn't mention Carrie toured with Keith coheadlining on the LP&TWCCR tour!

Concert Stars
    wow never seen that pic before...and thanks for the article!!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    WOW! Loved that article. Really got the impression Carrie is looking at broadening her sound - staying country but playing with it somehow. Sure will be interesting to see what we hear on this new CD!! I think this snubbing has really opened up her eyes. Think she is going to do more of what she wants to do as there is no pleasing everyone so why try so hard.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That was a really nice article, with everyone im getting more and more excited for the 4th album

If Carrie has a couple songs with kind of an Adele-style stripped down feel, that will be so cool!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Hey maybe Carrie and Adele can do a CMT Crossroads. I think I am going to have to check Adele's album out since a lot of you on here are talking about how good it is.

•