Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10 tips for improving American Idol in Season 11 (super small Carrie mention)

source | 10 tips for improving American Idol in Season 11 | Idol Chatter

*I also posted this on the AI thread *

excerpt

9. Show more respect for your history

Season 10 had barely begun when Idol released a 10th anniversary album featuring hits from past contestants. I felt sure it was a sign of things to come, a sign that Idol had big plans to celebrate 10 years of introducing us to performers capable of producing those hits. But a 10th anniversary celebration never materialized.

Worst of all was the season finale, when the only past winner to perform was Carrie Underwood. Hey, the finale was pretty entertaining. But what did most of the guest performers have in common? A new CD, a new film or an upcoming tour to hawk. So we get Jack Black, Gladys Knight, Tony Bennett and, for crying out loud, Tom Jones instead of the likes of Kelly Clarkson, David Cook and Fantasia. That shows a mind-boggling lack of respect for those who came before Season 10.

Concert Stars
    love all carrie mentions! and man she looks stunning in that pic!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I completely agree with everything this writer said.
    It's sad that they did not ask any other Idol alumni (besides Carrie) to perform, and it shows a serious lack of respect, IMO.
    The fact that they made a bigger deal of Simon leaving than they did of Idol's 10th season is laughable.
    Idol would be nowhere without the contestants and the fans who support them. It's ironic that the last few seasons there at least one former Idol contestant on each results show, and now that they've parted ways with Sony they couldn't care less.
    Sad.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Carrie looks great in that picture! I agree, they should've asked other idols to come back, but at least carrie came!

Concert Stars
    Carrie has always stood by AI and owned her AI connection; never tried to distant herself from it, so I can see why she was picked to be on the show and for that matter every year...lol. But I agree they should have had the other AI contestants there too. However, didn't they do that last year where they had almost all the winners from each season there? That's probably why they didn't do that this year.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    That is a good article. A few things I surely agree with are, get rid of Randy, limit voting, have more past idols at the finale, and yes, educate the judges re judging skills, or lack thereof, and judges shouldn't show their prejudices. This year's contestants were extremely talented, and I have to agree, I think Haley is more talented than Lauren or Scotty. Nonetheless, I enjoyed season 10 of AI. Thanks for posting.

Huge Carrie Follower carrie4aus's Avatar
    They should probably do what they did in Australia and give it a rest for a couple of years.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Love that Carrie pic first of all! And yes, Carrie should've been On season 10 more than she was...I mean, we had TWO country finalists this year, which will probably not happen for a long time again! Carrie should've gotten the chance to mentor the top 12 or something. Or at least done a "Country Week" or something. I mean, where was the Idol Gives Back Special this year?? I didn't see it....did it even happen? Idol will continue to go down unless something is done differently next year. More all-star appearances, I say. And no, I don't mean The Black Eyed Peas

lab
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Well, with 29.3 million AVERAGE VIEWERS AND 39 million viewers who watched "SCOTTY MCCREERY" CROWNED as "Season 10 Winner" ...... "Nigel Lythgoe" made a FANTASTIC JOB IN "ADAPTING American Idol Show to CHANGING NEEDS AND OPPORTUNITIES", already. I will TRUST MORE of Nigel's CREATIVITY!!! Does he need TO CONTINUOUSLY INNOVATE "American Idol Show"? ABSOLUTELY!!! But, it must be a "MARKET-ORIENTED INNOVATION" like "Nigel Lythgoe" did. It must be IN FAVOR OF A "STRONGER MARKET-ORIENTED STRATEGIES". "IDOL ALUMNI" already performed during the WEEKLY SHOWS, ANYWAY. Their GOAL is TO ULTIMATELY "REAP A PROFIT" and therefore, to have GREAT "RATINGS". Nigel used his CREATIVITY to attract GREAT INTEREST on the show or attract PUBLIC ATTENTION during THIS "SEASON 10"!!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by lab View Post
    Well, with 29.3 million AVERAGE VIEWERS AND 39 million viewers who watched "SCOTTY MCCREERY" CROWNED as "Season 10 Winner" ...... "Nigel Lythgoe" made a FANTASTIC JOB IN "ADAPTING American Idol Show to CHANGING NEEDS AND OPPORTUNITIES", already. I will TRUST MORE of Nigel's CREATIVITY!!! Does he need TO CONTINUOUSLY INNOVATE "American Idol Show"? ABSOLUTELY!!! But, it must be a "MARKET-ORIENTED INNOVATION" like "Nigel Lythgoe" did. It must be IN FAVOR OF A "STRONGER MARKET-ORIENTED STRATEGIES". "IDOL ALUMNI" already performed during the WEEKLY SHOWS, ANYWAY. Their GOAL is TO ULTIMATELY "REAP A PROFIT" and therefore, to have GREAT "RATINGS". Nigel used his CREATIVITY to attract GREAT INTEREST on the show or attract PUBLIC ATTENTION during THIS "SEASON 10"!!!
    Yes, that may be, but I feel that as the years have gone by, the Idol winners are less successful. We've had so many guy winners the past few years and none of them have really made it big. It's kind of like, after you get off Idol, you just kind of disappear and nobody ever hears from you again. Carrie is no doubt the biggest success off the show...and she will most likely be the only true success. I'm interested to see how Scotty does, seeing that most country Idol alumni get at least one song on the radio. Bucky, Kellie, Danny...I am more interested in Lauren, however. I feel like she could do some good.

lab
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefann View Post
    Yes, that may be, but I feel that as the years have gone by, the Idol winners are less successful. We've had so many guy winners the past few years and none of them have really made it big. It's kind of like, after you get off Idol, you just kind of disappear and nobody ever hears from you again. Carrie is no doubt the biggest success off the show...and she will most likely be the only true success. I'm interested to see how Scotty does, seeing that most country Idol alumni get at least one song on the radio. Bucky, Kellie, Danny...I am more interested in Lauren, however. I feel like she could do some good.

I agree with you!!! And I am MORE INTERESTED IN LAUREN, too. But, it is a "WAIT AND SEE" for the meantime for the success of Scotty, Lauren, Pia, Hailey and James. I feel very strongly that they will have GREAT CAREER through "DEVELOPMENT AND MARKETING" and through an "AGGRESSIVE AND WELL ORGANIZED AND CORRECTLY IMPLEMENTED PUBLICITY CAMPAIGN". Finding "ANOTHER CARRIE UNDERWOOD" is like CATCHING A "LIGHTNING IN A BOTTLE".

lab
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    When Lauren MOVED TO NASHVILLE, she MUST ask Carrie (Lauren's ROLE MODEL), about CARRIE'S SECRET in "HAVING AN EXTRAORDINARY SMOOTH SKIN IN THE FACE", in "HAVING A SKINNY PERFECT BODY WITH INDESCRIBABLE ELEGANCE" and in "CARRIE'S VOCAL TRANSFORMATION, WHICH IS INDESCRIBABLY GORGEOUS AND PERFORMING MORE THAN 120 CITIES WITH LOTS OF HUGE POWER NOTE EVERY NIGHT". Carrie is a SUPERWOMAN!!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Totally agree! I was so shocked (as was the rest of America) when Pia got voted off! It was like if Carrie would've gotten voted off...Pia had such a stellar voice like Carrie and I was really supporting her. I was heart broken. Then I really started pushing for Lauren, voted my heart out finale night, and then Lauren got second place. Another heart breaker for me... I will support this girl no matter what she does next in her musical career..hopefully teaming up with Carrie in the near future?? Scotty, as I said, is "just kind of okay for me" as Randy Jackson would say. I like him, but I feel he lacks that personality factor. He is very kind and seems humble, but his career might be a little boring. But he seems to have many, many fans, else he would not have won, so maybe he does have a bright future ahead of him. Like the future George Strait or something...What else gets me is that these two teens are sooo young!! 16 and 17?? Carrie was what, 21? They need to grow as artists before they can really take off with their careers. As you said wisely, it is a "wait and see" factor. But I have best wishes for both of them. Scotty said he is going to "take Lauren with him" wherever he goes. We will get our first glimpse of these two outside the Idol world at the CMT awards. But the two seem like really good, down to earth kids and I have so much respect for them. Can you imagine going out into the world and doing what they did? It is nothing short of amazing. More power to them. James and Hailey could also have future careers. Who knows?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    AI should have found a spot for Lee to perform in the finale, but lets be honest people like Lady Gaga & Beyonce are going to attract their fans to watch the show as where fans of Lee for example are going to watch if he is on there or not.

It's a business and ratings = cash. Gaga & Beyonce = ratings.

Didn't they have previous Idol winners perform throughout the season?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Didn't they have previous Idol winners perform throughout the season?
    Pretty much every week they either had on a past winner or an alum.

lab
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    AI should have found a spot for Lee to perform in the finale, but lets be honest people like Lady Gaga & Beyonce are going to attract their fans to watch the show as where fans of Lee for example are going to watch if he is on there or not.

It's a business and ratings = cash. Gaga & Beyonce = ratings.

"Carrie Underwood" + "U2" + "Beyonce" + "Lady Gaga" + etc. = MARKET-ORIENTED INNOVATION

Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Pretty much every week they either had on a past winner or an alum.
    Exactly. So how is that not showing respect for "those who came before season 10"? lol.

Concert Stars
    I think that one way of revitalizing Idol is to get some of the Idol naysayers interested in the show and they've done that with having Steven and Jlo as new judges and having the stars such as Bono , Judas Priest, Tony Bennett perform on the show - the ratings are important as the headlines for Idol of slipping in viewership last year was not a goodthing- I also think the new judges did an excellent job in choosing the top 12 , and the fact that the judges weren't so harsh and it's a kinder procedure may encourage more talented people to try out where they wouldn't have before. I think lowering the age to 15 is not a good idea - way too young -contestant is emotionally not ready and they keep talking about the contestant knowing who they are musically? and if they want the youth vote they have to make sure it doesn't take over with voting 6,000 times a person, that's absurd.Otherwise, the youngest contestants will always win. The other thing is to not make the manipulation of the Top 12 to go the way the producers want not quite so obvious. I think Jlo and Steven were key in saving the ratings this year and will improve as judges. As for having past contestants on the finale, I have to say I enjoyed this finale more than any other - nothing wrong with getting the pro music world involved in Idol, makes it more legit. This is the world the Idols will be up against - Scotty vying with Tim McGraw and Lauren vying with Carrie for radio spots.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefann View Post
    If the vocals aren't there, then post-Idols have a very difficult time getting airplay. As time marches on, they don't have the superior talent to stay relevant. Even the seasoned professionals are facing the same challenge of staying relevant and on the radio.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast