Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Concert Stars

Article: Will Scotty & Lauren Be Welcomed at Country Radio? (Carrie Mention)

Very interesting article about how country radio feels about Lauren & Scott, and other idols trying to make it in country music. Very nice Carrie mention.

Note: Scotty and Lauren-- best not read this as it will make you feel bad...***

Will Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina Be Welcomed at Country Radio? | mjsbigblog

When Season 10 wraps up, and the record contracts are signed, will Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina be welcomed at country radio? Here’s an industry insider who believes…maybe not.

---------------continued-------------

YIKES. Wright goes on to explain, “Carrie Underwood actually had talent from the beginning. Scotty really doesn’t. For him, being on ‘American Idol’ is only a blessing because it’s the only thing the label will be able to point to as a reason to play his music.” DOUBLE YIKES

----------------------------

The consensus seems to be: Countrymusic is NOT a dumping ground for Idol contestants. Carrie succeeded, but she’s a one-in-a-million talent. Both Scotty and Lauren are going to have to prove themselves to country PDs, just like everyone else. Unfortunatly, both–especially Scotty-are going into the game with some negative perceptions.
    While Carrie succeeded spectacularly, there are your Phil Staceys and Kristie Lee Cooks who failed right out of the gate–getting dropped by their respective labels after only one album. Danny Gokey is chugging along in the format, but the jury is still out on whether he’s got a long career in country radio or not. We’ll see if Scotty and Lauren can eventually win the PDs over

First, great Carrie mention. Wow...very honest....

I think the problem for some country PD's might be that Scotty and Lauren haven't really differentiated themselves from the artists who are already popular on country radio. We already have one Josh Turner, do we really need another one? Same with Carrie - look, I like Lauren, and I love that she's such a huge fan of Carrie, but she really needs to discover herself as an artist instead of just trying to be the next Carrie. (Maybe that's not what she's trying to do, but that's what it seems like sometimes). Unless Scotty and Lauren can begin to define for themselves and for country PD's who they are as artists and what makes them unique from all the other country artists, I think they will both end up in the same situation as the Phil Staceys and Kristy Lee Cooks.

No offense to Scotty and Lauren fans!

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I do not think Lauren is trying to be Carrie. She has not done the belting songs other than Anyway, her voice is different and their sound is different. The songs she has pick is not really predictable Carrie except FOTF, lol.

^ I agree that her voice and sound is different, that's why I wish she were choosing her songs a little bit differently. A lot of the performances I've seen, she seems a bit strained, like she's trying to be a big belter but I think her voice is more suited to softer songs. Only time will tell! And it's totally understandable why she's a little unclear with who she is as an artist - she's only 16! But at the same time, I could understand why country radio PD's would be a little skeptical.

Concert Stars
    I actually think Scotty can do very well in country music-- and I am surprised the djs don't like him. I wonder if it is just a few who feel this way?

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Jimmy Carter is not a fan and have repeated many times that he was not all that great and of course is heard all over so that does not help. He seem to soften when he did the Alan Jackson song. I think that it will be interesting. Isn't it funny the two people that are actually country is not being raved about on country radio. They will make it if their material is good.

Concert Stars
    ^ Wow does Jimmy Carter only like teen blondes then? lol Kidding. Does he like Lauren?

I thought country radio was going to eat Scotty up. He is traditional sounding, genuinely country, and a nice young boy with a nice voice.

Surely--- Scotty sings better then many of the men in country music today who are pitchy and off live. Not sure what their problem with him is.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I actually think Scotty can do very well in country music-- and I am surprised the djs don't like him. I wonder if it is just a few who feel this way?
    I think a big problem is over-saturation. When Carrie was on Idol, only one past contestant (Josh Gracin) had any success in country music. Also there wasn't a lot of new young talent making a move on country radio. It was pretty much the artists that had been around for a while. Of course, even if it had not been that way, I don't think Carrie would have had any problem finding a place in country music because her vocals make her stand out. But after Carrie won, everyone and their brother thinks it will be easy for them to find a place in country music. So the DJs and PDs have seen a lot of mediocre talent from Idol trying to make a country music career when they really don't have the talent to do so. On top of that, there is a lot of quality new talent in country music that has made it a lot more competative for that radio airplay. So you really have to make yourself standout to get the attention of the PDs. And unfortunately, I don't really think Scotty and Lauren have done enough to make the PDs want to play their music instead of some of the other new talent out there. Maybe a few years down the line when they are more seasoned, it will be different.

Concert Stars
    wow that is an amazing Carrie mention!

Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    I think a big problem is over-saturation. When Carrie was on Idol, only one past contestant (Josh Gracin) had any success in country music. Also there wasn't a lot of new young talent making a move on country radio. It was pretty much the artists that had been around for a while. Of course, even if it had not been that way, I don't think Carrie would have had any problem finding a place in country music because her vocals make her stand out. But after Carrie won, everyone and their brother thinks it will be easy for them to find a place in country music. So the DJs and PDs have seen a lot of mediocre talent from Idol trying to make a country music career when they really don't have the talent to do so. On top of that, there is a lot of quality new talent in country music that has made it a lot more competative for that radio airplay. So you really have to make yourself standout to get the attention of the PDs. And unfortunately, I don't really think Scotty and Lauren have done enough to make the PDs want to play their music instead of some of the other new talent out there. Maybe a few years down the line when they are more seasoned, it will be different.
    Yeah, this is basically what I was trying to say, only Cary is much more eloquent.

Concert Stars
    My local station US 99.5 always makes fun of Scotty, they do not like his appearance at all. They call him a clown. lol I'm kinda put off by the morning host, because neither Lisa or Ray have much room to be poking fun at someone else's appearances IMHO. I don't think any personality on the radio should be picking on a 17 year old sweetheart. Tisk Tisk!!! lol

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Very good analysis. I agree. Even Kellie Pickler is having a harder time getting airplay on the radio, so Lauren and Scotty will be lucky to break in to even her level.

I guess it is true that they are getting sick of all the people trying to go country. Even Kristin Chenowith announced she is doing a country album now. lol Though-- she is a big star so I think she could break in ok maybe.

Carrie Guru
    If Taylor can do hair flips then why can't Scotty make funny faces?

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Is Crystal Bowersox also trying to go country? Didn't she just moved to Nashville? I think she has been at the opry too. Actually I think there are quite a few idol contestants who are trying to go country. Casey James from last season I believe is one also. I really don't see Danny Gokey making it in country since he was never country on Idol when he was on there. Anyways, best of luck to Lauren and Scotty.

Carrie Guru
    ^ Yeah, it looks like Crystal is trying to go country. In fact CMT is playing her video. It's too bad she didn't show any interest in country while she was on Idol because I think that would have really helped with her acceptance on country radio.

^^ well you know what they say: If all else fails..... go country

Concert Stars
    What's weird to me is I would have thought they'd be more interested in Scotty than Lauren. I just feel like there are enough young, blonde, talented young women out there trying to make it in Country and three succeeding greatly (Carrie, Taylor, and Miranda). There aren't really any young males out there, specifically teens. I was thinking Scotty might bring that young audience back to Country radio that Taylor lost once she started remixing her songs for pop.

This is the original article, it's way longer than what MJ posted

Stark Country

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maria4hitz View Post
    This is the original article, it's way longer than what MJ posted

Stark Country
    I love this quote from the full article.

KJJY Des Moines, Iowa, MD Eddie Hatfield agrees. “Lauren has a shot if she’s handled correctly. People seem to like her. There will be a curiosity factor on Scotty’s first single. If it isn’t great, that will be it for him.

“A country ‘American Idol’s’ career is fleeting, and mediocre at best,” Hatfield continues. “Except for Carrie. She is one in a million. And Carrie can sing better than any newbie in any genre. She’s got the chops and stands head and shoulders above anyone else.”

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast