Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pia Toscano: Just too beautiful and talented (Carrie mention)

A week-old article at the LA Times, I don't think it has been posted before.

Pia Toscano: Just too beautiful and talented

Oh, the outrage! Oh, the indignation! Two weeks ago, lovely Pia Toscano, over whom judge Steven Tyler had gushed that a million men in a million bars were raising their glasses to her, was voted off "American Idol" and by the public no less. The judges were stunned. Jennifer Lopez practically broke into tears. And Twitter was all atwitter with celebrities voicing their disgust at the injustice. "Who are the people who vote on American Idol?" tweeted Ashton Kutcher. "Baffled," wrote actress Minka Kelly. "I may be done for the season," groused the normally unflappable Tom Hanks.
    Carrie mention:
    So "Idol" was the one place in show business where the conventional entertainer was actually at a disadvantage. Among the winners, the only one who was a pretty good bet to make it without the show was Carrie Underwood, and even Carrie Underwood on "Idol" didn't look much like the glamorous Carrie Underwood of today. She was a girl on the verge of beautiful. The audience nudged her over.

That said, there is nevertheless some irony in the "Idol" enterprise. Even as the viewers are taking their revenge on the entertainment industry, they have been less than eager to vindicate their own choices. Clarkson, arguably the most talented "Idol" winner, had to scale back a concert tour because of lagging ticket sales, and though many winners have enjoyed success, none of them, save Underwood again, have been able to parlay their victory into genuine superstardom. From which one could conclude that even though the audience may like the idea of taking it to the entertainment industry by rewarding the unconventional, when it comes to their own entertainment, they prefer conventionally beautiful and handsome warblers to the oddities they themselves chose. It's another example of not wanting to be member of any club that would have you.
    Pia Toscano's ouster from 'American Idol' shows public's priorities - latimes.com

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Interesting article. Although it is true about Carrie's looks. She was always beautiful on Idol, but she was much more girl next door than the glamorous, sexy, drop dead gorgeous woman she is now. Part of that is obviously due to having a better fashion sense and her diet/workout regime, and part of it is just that she was simply a college student back then and now she is a more mature woman who has grown into herself.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Interesting article. Although it is true about Carrie's looks. She was always beautiful on Idol, but she was much more girl next door than the glamorous, sexy, drop dead gorgeous woman she is now. Part of that is obviously due to having a better fashion sense and her diet/workout regime, and part of it is just that she was simply a college student back then and now she is a more mature woman who has grown into herself.
    Well said...I agree.

Concert Stars
    I don't get this article at all - they are saying Pia was eliminated because she was too beautiful , then they cite the most talented winner being Kelly couldn't sell concert tickets because she wasn't beautiful ?, then they say Carrie is a superstar because she's beautiful- so what is the point of this article?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I think they are saying that during the Idol competition, the people that are voting go for someone that is like them. Someone that they can relate to. They are basically saying that Pia was too model-like or too "perfect" and that the audience didn't relate to her because of her looks or whatever. However, the article is also saying that what people vote for on the show is not necessarily what they support outside of it. So, you may vote for the underdog or girl next door or whatever on Idol, but outside of it, you go for the "beautiful" people who you don't necessarily relate to.

With Carrie, they are kind of saying that on the show, she was the farm-girl, college student, girl next door that everyone could relate to, but afterwards she kind of transformed herself into what you would expect of a superstar (drop dead gorgeous and a fashionista) so she was able to keep her audience. Don't know whether it all makes sense, but that is what they are getting at. So, take Kelly for example - they are basically saying that her girl next door looks and talent helped her win the show, but that she hasn't sustained her superstardom after because she isn't what people expect of a superstar (glamorous, thin, etc.).

Whether their logic makes sense or not, I think it does make sense that a lot of times Idol's audience is completely disconnected from the radio audience. You either have little girls or grannies voting on Idol, but they aren't necessarily going to run out and buy the album of the winner once the show is over. Carrie was that rare gem that managed to capture both Idol's viewing audience and the radio world, because she has it all, basically.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    "little girls & Granny's.." that made me laugh. I never quite thought of it that way. You better throw in "the gays" but I'm sure they were voting for Pia so alot of good that did.
    The writer was probably hinting at the "diamond on the rough" analogy that we throw around alot. And I think it's true.
    Daughtry/Carrie/Cook each grew into their complete personnas throughout the show and then after. And that evolution seems to make sense to people. Pia may have seemed too complete.
    Lauren would be a perfect example of this if we saw inner growth. Notice that each week her makeup and wordrobe become more ampted up as if we are seeing an emerging star. But her performances are not developing with her. Clarkson had the same development (as did Carrie) but after a couple of huge albums with some major charactor developement, Clarkson decided to drop the personna and just be Kelly from Texas. And truth be told, people didn't want Kelly from Texas. She was supposed to be a Star. Rhianna doesn't have to do anything but pose and she is a Star.
    Beyonce, arguably the most popular and respected pop star in America today poses and "acts like she is delivering the goods" and people buy it.
    But she is far from the calibre of singer like Clarkson.
    I think Carrie understands that she puts on a costume everynight. Like dressup. And I think she enjoys it. She also enjoys taking that off and being left alone in her down time.
    She is currently living the dream.
    Talented, beautiful with a real solid head on her shoulders.
    We're pretty lucky guys!

Huge Carrie Follower
    you know what guys, i dunno if you notice it, but our carrie seems to always be, an exception to the rule...........

most Idol winners couldnt convert victory into stardom, save Carrie
    Idol voters don't necessarily support winners, save Carrie

amazing.......

Junior Carrie Follower kaileigh's Avatar
    love that Carrie mention...

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    "little girls & Granny's.." that made me laugh. I never quite thought of it that way. You better throw in "the gays" but I'm sure they were voting for Pia so alot of good that did.
    The writer was probably hinting at the "diamond on the rough" analogy that we throw around alot. And I think it's true.
    Daughtry/Carrie/Cook each grew into their complete personnas throughout the show and then after. And that evolution seems to make sense to people. Pia may have seemed too complete.
    Lauren would be a perfect example of this if we saw inner growth. Notice that each week her makeup and wordrobe become more ampted up as if we are seeing an emerging star. But her performances are not developing with her. Clarkson had the same development (as did Carrie) but after a couple of huge albums with some major charactor developement, Clarkson decided to drop the personna and just be Kelly from Texas. And truth be told, people didn't want Kelly from Texas. She was supposed to be a Star. Rhianna doesn't have to do anything but pose and she is a Star.
    Beyonce, arguably the most popular and respected pop star in America today poses and "acts like she is delivering the goods" and people buy it.
    I think Carrie understands that she puts on a costume everynight. Like dressup. And I think she enjoys it. She also enjoys taking that off and being left alone in her down time.
    We're pretty lucky guys!
    I agree that Carrie likes to play dress up and has admitted as much from time to time. She has successfully learned that she has to separate her two lives, private and public. Very intelligent lady. I have to say I believe Carrie's voice is superior to Kelly's (although Kelly Clarkson is a very close second). An enormous amount of credit goes to her insane voice and the way she carries herself in the public eye. She did not succumb to media scrutiny and lures of "what do you think about this, Carrie?" Carrie was successful in avoiding such traps.

Concert Stars
    ^Thanks for explaining the article for me - Looking like a star and acting like one is important today and always has been according to Dolly - she says that people expect her to dress up and wear her blonde wigs and look like Dolly and so she does it - you're right people don't want the person next door in their stars , they want special - it was interesting reading the stars that were up for the Idol judge - Daltry of the Who was a candidate(as well as 39 others) but they said he had become everyday looking, his hair was combed and cut conservatively and dressed the same where Steven brought his star quality of presentation fans had come to expect plus he still had that wild side- so they went with Steven

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by nanna05 View Post
    I agree that Carrie likes to play dress up and has admitted as much from time to time. She has successfully learned that she has to separate her two lives, private and public. Very intelligent lady. I have to say I believe Carrie's voice is superior to Kelly's (although Kelly Clarkson is a very close second). An enormous amount of credit goes to her insane voice and the way she carries herself in the public eye. She did not succumb to media scrutiny and lures of "what do you think about this, Carrie?" Carrie was successful in avoiding such traps.
    IF I could thank you twice I would.
    I didn't comment on the "Kelly is arguablly the most talented vocally...." statement cause I know those kinds of things to be purely subjective, BUT!
    I believe Carries artistic abilities come in the subtlies as much as the power notes.
    There are moments in a recording of Carries that are almost magic. TH/WCIS/JTTW/ITYS/ just to name a few.
    The turning of a phrase. The poinent cry in the voice. The insistance of truth.
    These are things that can get overlooked in a Carrie vocal. And they are what are making her a legend at the same time.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    We're pretty lucky guys!
    I think you are right - "diamond in the rough" is perfect here. You may start out just like me, but I expect you to transform into something amazing! Which Carrie did, of course. And she still continues to work on herself and her art/music every day, which is why she continues to shine and remain a superstar.
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I like Kelly (Carrie is my #1 ALWAYS) but sometimes I feel that she is not singing a song with conviction and deep feeling and just wants to get the song overwith. I actually like her most of the time but I don't think she did justice to the duet with Jason. Some areas were just ok but others were ho-hum. I know she can do better. I really hope she does not go country because I think her strength is in pop/rock. Besides I hate it when artists say they have always loved country music and always wanted to make a record. That statement really turns me off. I love most of Kelly's work and hope she returns to her roots and type of songs that made fans love her. I do not think she is a better vocalist than Carrie though. Carrie makes you feel her lyrics and you don't want the song to end---leaving you always wanting more. When an artist can take you to the stars then bring you on your knees in tears----THAT IS A GREAT ARTIST---CARRIE!!!!!

Carrie Guru
    Kelly and Carrie are both great vocalists. Vocally, I don't prefer one over the other as I accept each as different, but both incredible. The difference for me is that I love Carrie for the person that she is which gives her the ability to affect my life whereas Kelly, whose music I enjoy thoroughly, is just another in the long list of the many artists who I enjoy listening to. And when Pia releases her album, she will fit into that latter category for me.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
    I like Kelly (Carrie is my #1 ALWAYS) but sometimes I feel that she is not singing a song with conviction and deep feeling and just wants to get the song overwith. I actually like her most of the time but I don't think she did justice to the duet with Jason. Some areas were just ok but others were ho-hum. I know she can do better. I really hope she does not go country because I think her strength is in pop/rock. Besides I hate it when artists say they have always loved country music and always wanted to make a record. That statement really turns me off. I love most of Kelly's work and hope she returns to her roots and type of songs that made fans love her. I do not think she is a better vocalist than Carrie though. Carrie makes you feel her lyrics and you don't want the song to end---leaving you always wanting more. When an artist can take you to the stars then bring you on your knees in tears----THAT IS A GREAT ARTIST---CARRIE!!!!!
    You really hit it on your last two sentences. Carrie indeed is a great artist. Her journey to stardom has been amazing and what a joy to watch it.

Concert Stars
    Funny but I thought Carrie was very beautiful already on American Idol.. Didn't you all think so? I am curious what a guy would think. I get that she was not glamorous then or "HOT" by Hollywood standards maybe-- but she was always beautiful.

So it is odd the way the writer said Carrie was not quite beautiful on Idol. I disagree with that.

Otherwise-= very good article.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Funny but I thought Carrie was very beautiful already on American Idol.. Didn't you all think so? I am curious what a guy would think. I get that she was not glamorous then or "HOT" by Hollywood standards maybe-- but she was always beautiful.

So it is odd the way the writer said Carrie was not quite beautiful on Idol. I disagree with that.

Otherwise-= very good article.
    I thought she was gorgeous on idol but in an all american kind of way, less in a sex symbol kind of way. she still has all american beauty when she's just being carrie, but when she has to turn it on, she is a SEX SYMBOL and a good one at that.
    becca T

Concert Stars
    I agree, I always thought Carrie was beautiful on Idol!! Just in a college girl way...which ain't bad!!!

Concert Stars
    YEs, Carrie is beautiful and of course it is the same face that we all fell in love with.
    But I will admit that during Idol, I knew she was exceptional looking but that it somehow did not "stand out".
    The weight she gained on the show coupled with the performance type outfits she would wear each week I think messed with the perception of her as a naturally attractive woman. Her hair changed many times. Her makeup styles changed many times.
    For me personally, her finale look was "ahugh..." and yet her "Hello Young lovers..." look was classic beauty.
    Once she was off the show and her weight returned to what her bone structure supported and she chose hair and makeup that was of a more natural look, she emurged as the absolute beauty that she is. And she is at the absolute top of her game right now. And that is not easy to maintain.
    She will be the first to tell you she does not look like that without hard work.
    I think Kelly did not have the same natual bone structure Carrie has so it was even harder for her to "present herself" again and again. She just got tired of it.
    And she does not have the dicipline to keep weight off either. Carrie literally works her ass off. Literally!
    IF she didn't, she would probably settle into a body type similar to Kelly.
    And Carrie just does not choose that for herself.
    After children?? Who knows.
    I will love her regardless. It won't matter to me.
    I like women with a little meat on them.
    Langoria!!
    But Kelly does not take the same kind of care of herself that these others do and she was not born with a genetic line like T.Swift. Most of us aren't!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I have always thought Carrie was beautiful - even at her audition in her casual clothes and own hair/makeup. I don't think her Idol hair/wardrobe always did her justice, because they would make her hair too poufy and she had some crazy looking dresses (finale dress!). However, there were times when her natural beauty came through even on Idol - performance finale (Angels Brought Me Here) and anytime they just left her hair straight. I never thought Carrie's weight was an issue ever. We all know she has said she gained weight on Idol, and you can tell that she did even from her audition, but she was never close to being overweight or anything. She was still slender, just not as fit as she is now or when she was in college before Idol. I'm sure the stress and bad food did that to her, but I would have been fine if she was still that size, which still couldn't have been much more than a 6.
    Thanks so much Danielle!

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast