Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'How great,' indeed (Carrie mention)

'How great,' indeed
    Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The newest singing sensation isn't really new -- but is she ever sensational.
    Country star Carrie Underwood, performing as part of the recent Girls Night Out: Superstar Women of Country show on CBS, raised the roof with an exhilarating and magical rendition of How Great Thou Art .
    It had the audience on its feet and tears in a lot of eyes, including Underwood's own.
    'How great,' indeed | The Augusta Chronicle

Love this last part:

Putting this woman together with this song was a marriage made in heaven. There's only one word for it.

Divine.

I'm so proud. She's so divine. I'm really proud to be a fan and proud to know that she exists.

xor
    Oh Night Divine

oh yeah! Carrie is really an epitome of class and grace! She sang HGTA even though she knew that some people would criticize her because it's on national tv and such, but in the end, Carrie and God prevails

God Bless!

Concert Stars
    i love that opening sentence!

Concert Stars
    Carrie must be surprised at how well this performance has been received -

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    I don't think Carrie is ever 'surprised' by how God works and this rendition has shown how he does it in spades. Beautiful Song...Beautiful Woman!!

Concert Stars
    Thanks so much for posting.
    And I watched the vid while reading the article and the flood gates just opened up again.
    I am a nature loving person and this song so well responds to my feelings about the earth and nature around me.
    I know that Carrie loves the earth (and it's many inhabitants also), and she finds praise in God for that.
    And this rendition just allows you to open your your heart in thanksgiving for the blessing this earth is to us.
    And I would hope to one day go to heaven and thank God personally for the beauty that has surround me my whole life.
    To say this is my favorite Carrie performance ever is understating it.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    Well I think for sure she'd be surprised at how many hits her performance has got on YouTube. If it's surprised us Carriefans (who always have high expectations) it sure would have surprised her. lol!

Concert Stars
    ^^ I think she would be surprised too!

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Truthfully anyone who says they weren't surprised by the popularity of the HGTA video is lying. I mean "religious" and "viral" are almost a contradiction in terms.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Truthfully anyone who says they weren't surprised by the popularity of the HGTA video is lying. I mean "religious" and "viral" are almost a contradiction in terms.
    haha seriously.
    becca T

Concert Stars
    Nice article. Divine indeed!

one word..AMAZING!!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie Country's Avatar
    Never seen any one performance from a country artist or anybody that has moved people like our sweet Carrie did!!!

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Country View Post
    Never seen any one performance from a country artist or anybody that has moved people like our sweet Carrie did!!!
    The only one that I can think of is Alan Jackson's Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie Country's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    The only one that I can think of is Alan Jackson's Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning.

True!!!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    How great? Great enough to have some people compare Carrie's HGTA rendition to Elvis. Here is an excerpt from a webpage/blog:

Elvis vs. Carrie // “How Great Thou Art”

Ok, ok, Carrie Underwood has not earned the one-name reference (ie. Elvis, Cher, Madonna, etc)… yet. But there’s no denying how good she is as a singer, performer, and an off-stage role model. She recently performed “How Great Thou Art” for a television special and her rendition of the song is drawing comparisons to Elvis’ performance of that song. I’ve conveniently included them in this post so you can draw your own conclusion. At the end of the day, they both win because they sing the song so well. When I watch Carrie’s, I think to myself, “This is what true worship is. It’s giving what you’re best at back to God and doing it with an undeniable passion.” It’s apparent she was singing for a larger audience than just the people in that auditorium, and I have a feeling there was a giant smile in Heaven for 5 minutes and 12 seconds. Didn’t hurt having Vince Gill on guitar and backup vocals either. She holds the last ”thou art” for a solid 15 seconds (yes, I timed it), and it’s simply great.

Link: Elvis vs. Carrie // “How Great Thou Art” Out of the Wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    How great? Great enough to have some people compare Carrie's HGTA rendition to Elvis. Here is an excerpt from a webpage/blog:

Elvis vs. Carrie // “How Great Thou Art”

Ok, ok, Carrie Underwood has not earned the one-name reference (ie. Elvis, Cher, Madonna, etc)… yet. But there’s no denying how good she is as a singer, performer, and an off-stage role model. She recently performed “How Great Thou Art” for a television special and her rendition of the song is drawing comparisons to Elvis’ performance of that song. I’ve conveniently included them in this post so you can draw your own conclusion. At the end of the day, they both win because they sing the song so well. When I watch Carrie’s, I think to myself, “This is what true worship is. It’s giving what you’re best at back to God and doing it with an undeniable passion.” It’s apparent she was singing for a larger audience than just the people in that auditorium, and I have a feeling there was a giant smile in Heaven for 5 minutes and 12 seconds. Didn’t hurt having Vince Gill on guitar and backup vocals either. She holds the last ”thou art” for a solid 15 seconds (yes, I timed it), and it’s simply great.

Link: Elvis vs. Carrie // “How Great Thou Art” Out of the Wilderness
    This IMO is the most beautiful and touching description of Carrie's HGTA performance.

Carrie Guru
    The thing about Carrie's version of "How Great Thou Art" is that the way she sings it --as if the notes are getting higher and higher !

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast