Concert Stars

More Soul Surfer Box Office Predictions: Very Strong Numbers

The other article predicted 13 million, this one is predicting 10.5 million, but either way, it is much greater then the 7 million they predicted originally. YAY!

If you follow movie box office scores-- you will know that this is a very strong opening for a limited release movie like Soul Surfer since it only opened in 2100 theaters, compared to 3500approx for the big screen releases.

Weekend Predictions: 'Arthur,' 'Your Highness,' 'Soul Surfer' and 'Hanna' — Boxoffice — The Business of Movies

Soul Surfer is the kind of motivational drama that could end up amassing a healthy following. FilmDistrict is clearly gunning for the same religious audience that turned The Blind Side into a massive hit. Expect a relatively modest opening followed by a strong hold.
    Soul Surfer is running close to Beastly on Twitter, but it's outpacing Ramona and Beezus by a healthy margin. On Facebook, Soul Surfer's most active page has amassed nearly 18,000 fansRamona and Beezus had only close to 10,000 on the Wednesday before opening.
    Fandango is reporting that Soul Surfer is responsible for a promising 6% of daily sales, which is a clear sign that families see it as a viable option.
    Expect Soul Surfer to rake in $10.5 million from around 2,100 locations during its opening frame.

Very good...

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    The other article predicted 13 million, this one is predicting 10.5 million, but either way, it is much greater then the 7 million they predicted originally. YAY!

Weekend Predictions: 'Arthur,' 'Your Highness,' 'Soul Surfer' and 'Hanna' — Boxoffice — The Business of Movies

Soul Surfer is the kind of motivational drama that could end up amassing a healthy following. FilmDistrict is clearly gunning for the same religious audience that turned The Blind Side into a massive hit. Expect a relatively modest opening followed by a strong hold.
    Soul Surfer is running close to Beastly on Twitter, but it's outpacing Ramona and Beezus by a healthy margin. On Facebook, Soul Surfer's most active page has amassed nearly 18,000 fansRamona and Beezus had only close to 10,000 on the Wednesday before opening.
    Fandango is reporting that Soul Surfer is responsible for a promising 6% of daily sales, which is a clear sign that families see it as a viable option.
    Expect Soul Surfer to rake in $10.5 million from around 2,100 locations during its opening frame.
    I do not follow any of this kind of info. Is this considered a good opening?

Concert Stars
    YES! It is a very good opening because you have to compare the number of theaters that has the movie available, to the gross ticket sales.

Often a Jen Anniston movie opens in 3500 theaters and sells 7 million opening weekend, which is considered average or even bad.

But a movie opening in 2,100 theaters like Soul Surfer is supposed to only rake in like 5-7 million, so a 10+ million opening weekend for a limited release theater is very strong.

It is expected to make the top 5 this weekend, maybe the top 3 even!

Your Highness and Hop are both in major release in over 3500 theaters, respectively, so Soul Surfer is keeping pace with them despite opening in 1,000 less theaters!

Concert Stars
    wow that's wonderful!

Often a Jen Anniston movie opens in 3500 theaters and sells 7 million opening weekend, which is considered average or even bad.
    Well, not exactly. Just Go With It opened in over 3500 theatres and raked in $30,514,732 opening weekend. The Bounty Hunter opened in over 3000 theatres and raked in $20,686,423 opening weekend. He's Just Not That Into You opened in over 3000 theatres and raked in $27,785,487. So basically, every time one of her movies opens in over 3000 theatres it rakes in at least $20 million on opening weekend. http://boxofficemojo.com/people/char...feraniston.htm

However, her movies also get a lot more promo and have big-name movie stars in them. Dennis Quaid and Helen Hunt are big names, but I don't think they're known as huge box office sellers.

So for Soul Surfer to be getting predictions of between $10.5 and $13 million is HUGE, especially considering a) what the film is about, b) its limited release, and c) none of its stars being known as huge box office sellers.

Since it was originally predicted at $7 million and the numbers are proving to be so much stronger than that, I think that means it has a very high chance of being upgraded to a wider release.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I agree it might have the openings expanded.

One thing that I think Soul Surfer is going to benefit from is word of mouth. The film is getting EXCELLENT reviews on twitter, basically everyone who has seen it loved it, and they're telling their friends who will tell their friends, etc etc. The movie could have great longevity at the box office because of this awesome word of mouth.

Insane Carrie Fan utlovescarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I am so bummed! We were supposed to go last night but everyone ran late so it didn't happen and our schedule today is packed so we won't get to go see it until next week - but I guess that is okay because we can be part of the "strong hold".

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Thatd be amazing!!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan boilermaker's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    One thing that I think Soul Surfer is going to benefit from is word of mouth. The film is getting EXCELLENT reviews on twitter, basically everyone who has seen it loved it, and they're telling their friends who will tell their friends, etc etc. The movie could have great longevity at the box office because of this awesome word of mouth.
    I agree that word of mouth is going to sell this movie. My newspaper critic gave it 1 1/2 stars and I don't what he was watching. Critics watch so many movies and are looking way too closely at stuff that the average movie goer cares less about. Everyone in the theatre I was at loved it. A feel good movie that the entire family can watch. So many kids movies out right now that parents have to endure but this one they all can enjoy.

Concert Stars
    today when I went for the 2nd time, it was sold out and this was a matinee! lol The whole theater started clapping at the end, and people never clap at the end of movies unless it was truly exceptional.

^ I have seen some of Jen Anniston's movies bomb though. I must be thinking of a few older ones. I like her but her movies all seem exactly the same lately-- like one never-ending romantic comedy.

Concert Stars
    today when I went for the 2nd time, it was sold out and this was a matinee! lol The whole theater started clapping at the end, and people never clap at the end of movies unless it was truly exceptional.

^ I have seen some of Jen Anniston's movies bomb though. I must be thinking of a few older ones. I like her but her movies all seem exactly the same lately-- like one never-ending romantic comedy.
    Wow, thanks for that info. I will be honest and say I never thought any showings would sell out so woo hoo. Yeah, I really like Jennifer a lot but her movies are getting old in that most really are this exact formula. She should really try to talk a director into giving her a completely off the wall type movie where she plays a completely different kind of part. Well, back to Soul Surfer, so glad it is doing better then expected it appears.

Insane Carrie Fan
    The box office numbers for Friday are in : $ 3,650,000. So far the movie it's #5. I think if the normal trend that I have seen for movies applies here (normally there's a gain on Saturday or in some cases a small decline,althought that happens when the debut on Friday is very big, and on Sunday there's a decline around 30, 40 or maybe 50% ) the total should be around $10 million.

Here's the link:

Daily Box Office for Friday, April 8, 2011 - Box Office Mojo

Huge Carrie Follower
    just a question. will it have international release? im from the philippines and im dying to see it.....

Huge Carrie Follower
    all carrie fans should come in droves so we can inform ACM and CMA that their decisions lately are troll-ish!!!!

•