Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Concert Stars

Soul Surfer Opens Well: Highness, Not So Much :)

OMG Soul Surfer opened very well last night! They are predicting DOUBLE of the 7 million they originally predicted for opening weekend-- which is great because it is only in 2,000 theaters! Amazing news for the movie and Carrie!

‘Soul Surfer’ opens well, ”Highness,’ not so much. – Frankly My Dear – Orlando Sentinel

Soul Surfer’ opens well, ”Highness,’ not so much.
    Uncategorized — posted by otownrog on April, 9 2011 7:59 AM
    Discuss This: Comments(2) | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it
    The biggest news out of the box office this weekend may turn out to be “Soul Surfer,” a little movie being pushed in churches and sold to the “faith based” film audience. That crowd rarely turns up. But if Friday’s numbers hold up, it’ll do double what’s been predicted for its opening — $13 million or so. VERY family friendly. I highly recommend this one.
    That’s less than “Arthur,” which is headed toward a $14 million weekend if Friday’s numbers hold up. I don’t suggest you fork over the cash for this one, though it has some laughs.
    “Your Highness” is on track to do a disappointing $11 million, about the same as “Hanna,” which is far better. People, you NEED to go see “Hanna.”
    “Hop” will win the weekend, maybe with as much as $20 million, based on Friday’s numbers.

Concert Stars
    The other article are predicting 10+ million, but either way, very strong numbers.

Thanks for posting...that's wonderful news!!!

Concert Stars
    i am loving all this! makes me want to cry! LOL

Concert Stars
    That is still fantastic.
    SS did not seem like a mainstream movie, but I think it has upredicted apeal!!!
    So glad.

Concert Stars
    I secretly hoped it woold top Valentines Day.
    But of course that film had so much star power and the advantage of a major holiday tie-in.
    But still I dreamed.
    Still very happy with the numbers.

Concert Stars
    What did Valentines Day get? SS is doing fantastic!!!

Concert Stars
    I don't know. I know it did not do huge numbers but I think it was respectable, and it was definately #1 for it's opennng week. But reviews were unanomously bad, and it dropped off very quickly. No staying power.
    New Years Day (if it gets made) will be very similar. These kinds of films are ment to go in and make a quick buck and get out.
    SS I think was made with love and honor and was intended to stand on it's own. And I think it will.
    To bad a film like this would never be considered for an oscar cause it seems like the female leads performance was really exceptional.

Concert Stars
    That scene that they show of Carrie and her where she finally breaks down is gut wrenching. Definately notable performance.

I love the advertisement here on CF soul surfer baby!

The little movie that could.

Insane Carrie Fan utlovescarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    My mom took my daughter to Hop because they missed the Soul Surfer time. Everyone ran late earlier in the day so we missed going before I had to run to the airport to pick up my husband. It seems everything isconspiring against me to see this movie this weekend.

Concert Stars
    Loved the movie! Go see it guys and promote it!

Now they're saying $14 million instead of $13 million! Wow!

April 8 movie openings | Arthur | Soul Surfer | Hanna | Gossip Cop

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I secretly hoped it woold top Valentines Day.
    But of course that film had so much star power and the advantage of a major holiday tie-in.
    But still I dreamed.
    Still very happy with the numbers.
    Yeah, would have been nice but as you said, it had some major star power in it (and not talking about you know who) so it would have drawn in a lot of people just because of that, even if it did turn out to be a bad movie. They don't know that until they get there and that amount of big stars draws them in, ughhh. And the holiday thing would do it. Girls dragging their guys to see it for a date night because of that holiday.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Now they're saying $14 million instead of $13 million! Wow!

April 8 movie openings | Arthur | Soul Surfer | Hanna | Gossip Cop

Everyone that can needs to try and go this weekend and get that number up there, LOL.

But Friday grosses also contained a shocker: a double whammy of young female power given their pics' middling releases. Focus Features' intriguing Hanna grossed better than what the studio expected for matinees and evenings. Now it looks like it could move past Arthur into 2nd place by end of Sunday even though its CinemaScore was only a "C+". And Sony's inspirational PG Soul Surfer during the day stayed No. 2 from strength in the Bible Belt helped by American Idol winner Carrie Underwood. But it predictably lost steam at night. On the other hand, it earned a rare "A+" CinemaScore which bodes well for word of mouth. What happens for both films tomorrow willl be interesting but Soul Surfer could move up to #3 thanks to all those church groups. Refined numbers and full analysis coming:
    1. Hop (Universal) Week 2 [3,636 Theaters]
    Friday $5.4M (-52%), Estimated Weekend $20.2M, Estimated Cume $66.6M
    2. Arthur (Warner Bros) NEW [3,276 Theaters]
    Friday $4.5M, Estimated Weekend $13M
    3. Hanna (Focus) NEW [2,535 Theaters]
    Friday $4.1M, Estimated Weekend $12.7M
    4. Soul Surfer (Sony) NEW [2,214 Theaters]
    Friday $3.6M, Estimated Weekend $11M
    ‘Hop’ Holding At #1, ‘Arthur’ Limping At #2 And May Be Beaten By ‘Hanna’ By Sunday – Deadline.com

Concert Stars
    I love how these people think only really religious people would go see it. How about teens because a lot of teens are in it and like the surfing and how about people that are not into the typical blow people up films, LOL. I do think that yes, a lot of people of strong faith might make up some of that but don't think that is all. I already know friends that have gone and are not religious but just wanted to see the story. But again, some of it will be that but I think they are leaning too much on insinuating that is all that will see it. I am by far not an atheist but don't really care that much for religion in movies if really pushed on you but I know this one is not so I think I would have wanted to see it if Carrie was not in it. For some dumb reason I am always into surf movies even if I have never touched a surf board, LOL. Maybe I was a surfer in a past life, LOL. So hope it does better then expected for Carrie yes but also just because of some of these critics that think if you mention religion in a movie, it is automatically horrid, and hope there are enough out there to push up the numbers. Keeping all my fingers crossed.

The Bethany Hamilton biopic Soul Surfer is a wild card. Grossing $3.7 million on Friday from 2,214 locations, the film could see a spike in family traffic today and Sunday among faith-based audiences, as well as teen girls. Also, Soul Surfer received a glowing A+ CinemaScore. In another good sign, 55% of Friday’s audience was under the age of 25; and 48%, under the age of 18. Based on Friday’s results, box office pundits say Arthur, Hanna and Soul Surfer will gross in the $12 million to $13.5 million for the weekend.
    Friday Box Office: Universal's Holdover 'Hop' Tops With $5.5 Million - The Hollywood Reporter

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast