Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar

OFFSTAGE: What If Carrie Underwood Had Met Pia Toscano's Fate on Idol?

OFFSTAGE: What If Carrie Underwood Had Met Pia Toscano's Fate on Idol?
    April 8, 2011; Written by Alison Bonaguro

After Thursday night's (April 7) American Idol, when the drop-dead gorgeous and golden-voiced Pia Toscano was eliminated, you could hear the world's collective jaws drop. And when host Ryan Seacrest turned to the judges with a what-the-hell-just-happened look in his eyes, Jennifer Lopez choked back her tears to say, "I have no idea what just happened here. I'm shocked. I'm angry. I don't even know what to say." Randy Jackson said, "We're all in shock. I'm gutted." And Steven Tyler added, "A mistake is one thing, but lack of passion is unforgivable." Clearly, the judges had Toscano's back. Which reminded me of the season when Carrie Underwood was a contestant. She was a lot like Toscano. Beautiful in every way -- and the obvious front-runner. America loved her, the judges loved her, and we all know what happened next. But what bothered me last night was thinking that if a favorite can be eliminated from Idol, that means Underwood could've been eliminated, too. Think about all the songs Underwood performed when she was in the Top 10 during season four. "Love Is a Battlefield," "When God-Fearin' Women Get the Blues," "MacArthur Park" and "Sin Wagon." Can you imagine how Idol would've ended up -- and how country music would've ended up -- had Underwood been eliminated?
    Source: CMT : News : OFFSTAGE: What If Carrie Underwood Had Met Pia Toscano's Fate on Idol?

Wow...I can't even imagine that! Pia has a great voice, but I think that she really needed - still needs to - to work on her stage presence. I think that's what I notice throughout Carrie's time on Idol - while her stage presence still needed work, I felt as though it really improved while she was on Idol. She sang something different every week, and it really seemed like she tried every week. Not to say that Pia didn't try during her stay on Idol, I just feel as though if she sang something different every week, improve on her stage presence more, maybe she could of stayed longer. When you are on a show like Idol, I feel as though you have to show different sides of you, you have to stand out. Just my opinion...

Concert Stars
    What would've happened? I don't think things would've been much different. Carrie still would've gotten a record deal blah blah blah. What I wonder is if we'd be hearing a remix of BHC.

I'm not watching Idol this season therefore I can't say about Pia but I understand she might be a very good singer.
    The point I would like to add is how this short article seems to compliment all the achievements Carrie got through these years. I guess at some point some Carrie fans said Alison wasn't nice to Carrie and it is good when you read those kind of articles from people who may not like an artist but at least is honest enough to compliment them.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Yeah Nicole, I switched browsers, but it's acting weird.

What I was going to say:

Pia and Carrie have similar personalites & awesome voices, but the differences are obvious. Carrie knew she wanted to be a country artist from the start of Idol, and therefore she was able to build a loyal audience really quickly.
    Although she sang country music, she was able to incorporate plenty of diverse styles into her performances each week.

We know Pia wants to be a pop artist, but other than that, she's very mysterious, both in her personality and artistic choices on Idol.
    I think Pia could've done well if she had latched on to a current audience by singing more popular music to resonate with voters, but that's her choice. If people can't imagine buying someone's record because the core audience listens to Katy Perry and Keisha over Celine and Mariah, that's a problem.

I give Pia credit for being who she was without pressure from other people though. I would rather see an artist be who they are and do well than be who they're not and come off as fake. Pia came off as authentic to me, because she peformed how she wanted to, and she was herself. It bothers me that kids think someone has no personality because they're somewhat reserved. I relate to Carrie and Pia in the personality department, and I know how they both feel. It's hard to open up and convey who you want to be if you don't have the desire to be in people's faces and aren't that comfortable with new situations.

Pia has an incredible voice, am I'm pulling for her. I hope she does well, because a voice like hers is a shame to waste.
    Last edited by Carrieflattsfan; 04-08-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Concert Stars
    something I can't even think about...would be a tradegdy!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    The two situ
    Lol did something happen? I think your post is unfinished...

Concert Stars
    Thats a scary thought! This seems to be happening a lot on idol now.....the best singers are being voted off and the mediocre are winning ....therefore, unsuccessful winners! GOOD GOD AMERICA......WHAT ARE YOU THINKING! Voting should be based on talent, not looks or popularity! I wish we could vote from Canada! I was really enjoying this season....the most since probably Carrie's season, and now that Pia is gone....I likely won't even watch! So disappointed! Thank god this didn't happen to Carrie!

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    In a interview with OPrah, Simon Cowell said that regardless of how talented the person is they must have the LIKEABILITY factor or it's a 'no-go. In my opinion right now there are two contestants that I believe are the weakest in vocals but are being kept due to the likeability factor..the two I'm talking about are Scotty and Paul. For me Scotty is a one-trick-pony and hasn't shown any versatiliy or range in vocals, but he's still there..the teeny boppers love him (think JB, TS). AS for Carrie, she never experienced the bottom three for the entire show. As a matter of fact Nigel revealed that she was always ahead of the pack from week one. In the final 4 Carrie was receiving more than 50% of the vote. The other contestants admitted that they knew they were competing for 2nd. place. Carrie had the LIKEABILITY factor in spades. Carrie's appearance and manners were charming, vulnerable, unpretentious...I don't think the same could be said for Pia.

What would have happened? Poor Bo would have won and would be answering all those questions Taylor and Lee do now.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Two things going for Carrie: (1) Magna Cum Laude (2) Her major. Don't know Pia's background, but Carrie's smarts really showed as she sang each week by making songs her own (and in 3-4 days of prep!).

I have not watched much each season, so just wondering: did Pia put her signature on the songs she sang?

Concert Stars
    Flatts, I agree that Pia was quite authentic. She did what she wanted to do and never cracked under pressure to do something more current. Authentic >>>>>> phony. I think everybody on this site knows by now how much I hate phonies. Pia wasn't boring. What was missing, for me, was a connection. I wasn't connected with her. Does that constitute a top nine elimination? Heck no, techno! She seems like a very classy lady who could sing her butt off. But her version of Paparazzi was sublime! I wish she sang something with more of that style! Shoot!

I partially blame AI for this because they haven't given enough time for many of the contestants to grow accustomed to such a massive stage (compared to a small wedding platform). Some got the hang of the stage immediately (Scotty, James), but some struggled quite a bit (Lauren, Haley). I think Pia struggled with that stage more than people realize. And I think that was part of her downfall. She needed a little more time, maybe two weeks, to acclimatize to the big stage, but since AI kinda skipped a few rounds, Pia lost experience time.

What troubles me is that AI is NOT grooming stars with the way they are coddling the contestants. This Twitter business, this studio business, this earpiece business is NOT helping them.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    All 4 of the past female winners of AI are very fortunate that they were on the show before the instrument playing and the plague of teenage female voters taking over the show happen.

I don't think that either Fantasia or Jordin would win now and even as good as Carrie & Kelly were when they were on AI and even though they still should win if they were on the show over the past four seasons counting this one, I wouldn't say it would be a sure thing.

Concert Stars
    I'm pretty certain (not too confident) Carrie would still win, Kelly is a bit questionable and the other two would have no chance. Jordin would have to face the wrath of Blake Lewis (who really thinks he was at all talented?). Does he play guitar? That would certainly push him over the edge. As for Fantasia, LALALAIHATESEASONTHREELALALA, so I don't remember the other contestants haha. I kinda knew talent was going down the toilet when Melinda Doolitle got eliminated. I thought she was fabulous. Anybody else think that that turned the tide? Or was it the Battle of the Davids? When did AI get so foreign?

Concert Stars
    I really thought Pia would be in the finale but one thing about Carrie is she has the ‘IT’ factor that Simon always talked about.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    I'm pretty certain (not too confident) Carrie would still win, Kelly is a bit questionable and the other two would have no chance. Jordin would have to face the wrath of Blake Lewis (who really thinks he was at all talented?). Does he play guitar? That would certainly push him over the edge. As for Fantasia, LALALAIHATESEASONTHREELALALA, so I don't remember the other contestants haha. I kinda knew talent was going down the toilet when Melinda Doolitle got eliminated. I thought she was fabulous. Anybody else think that that turned the tide? Or was it the Battle of the Davids? When did AI get so foreign?

I've always felt it started when Daughtry left and Taylor Hicks won, then it continued downward with Kris over Adam (c'mon), and then Lee over Crystal.

Seriously, people??

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    If Fantasia was on show this year, she would be home already.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    If Fantasia was on show this year, she would be home already.
    Anybody and everybody from the season indeed would've been eliminated. I hated that season. Not a single contestant of star quality. Every season had someone with star quality except that season and maybe seasons nine and two. I didn't like those seasons either.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    I actually thought Kelly was the best "contestant" of anyone. Cute, funny, dorky, you wanted to vote for her before she even sang. I still think she would be the toughest person to ever beat. JMO That being said I think Pia would have won for sure if she was in the first 6 seasons? After that something happened things went down hill. I do like David Cook though.
    I actually didn't care for Kelly when I first saw her. It took two pivotal moments for me to warm up to her: her rendition of "Stuff Like That There" and her performance of "A Moment Like This." Despite a small lyric slipup, I adored her version of AMLK. That's what made me like her, along with "Miss Independent" post-Idol.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    All 4 of the past female winners of AI are very fortunate that they were on the show before the instrument playing and the plague of teenage female voters taking over the show happen.
    I think it's really the instrument playing that killed "pure" singers. Mildly cute boys who can play guitars are adorable, while lady singers who stand and moves a bit have no personalities, even if they sing miles better. Even Crystal cannot pull off the guitar-playing thing AND singing on key on top of that. All Lee had to do was to hold on to a guitar for dear life even if he couldn't find a single correct key to sing in and he won the show.

What did they get? 3 straight White Guy W/ Guitar winners, and with each recent winner fading into obscurity faster than ever. With the lady winners having better track records than men, Idol needs a girl winner. If I were Nigel, I would put all my eggs and prayer into Lauren's basket from now on, and sabotage the men's performances by having "technical" difficulties while they perform.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast