Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Concert Stars

Boston Globe, The Onion, & Philadelphia Inquirer - Soul Surfer

Boston Globe doesn't mention Carrie, but it's a positive review, so I figured I'd post it, lol. The Onion's review is mixed, but negative on Carrie's performance. The Philadelphia Inquirer is just negative all the way around.

The Boston Globe:

A Faithful Adaptation of maimed teen surfer's comeback

The best moments come when Robb’s all-purpose toughness experiences vulnerable doubt. These moments are flickers, but they’re bright and human.

Soul Surfer movie review -- Soul Surfer showtimes - The Boston Globe

The Onion:

Soul Surfer

Hamilton’s biggest personal issue is a pouty moment when her youth-group leader (Carrie Underwood, in an irritatingly stiff, strident film debut) chides her for choosing a surf competition over a missionary trip.

Soul Surfer | Film | Movie Review | The A.V. Club

The Philadelphia Inquirer:

Fateful day of faith-filled surfer tests her resolve - viewers', too

Her guide through the morass of despair is the youth minister at her beachfront church. It's the acting debut for country singer Carrie Underwood.

Her stiffness is hardly noticeable in this March of the Wooden Actors. Even Helen Hunt, as Bethany's mom, goes through the film with a single expression: scared sick.

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/movies/20110408_Fateful_day_of_faith-filled_surfer_tests_her_resolve_-_viewers___too.html

By the way, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm just posting mixed or negative reviews. I've just been taking all of the reviews from Metacritic that haven't been posted here, yet.

This one hates Carrie, but doesn't hate the movie.

Surfer almost wipes out | Mobile movie news | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Concert Stars
    No surprise there-- the Houston Chronicle has hated Carrie for YEARS. They trash all her albums too.

Carrie is not being trashed though-- they are just saying she was a bit stiff. That is to be expected for a first movie. I don't take that as all that terrible.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Awww! I'm feeling bad for Carrie. Some one make it feel better.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Carrie is not being trashed though-- they are just saying she was a bit stiff. That is to be expected for a first movie. I don't take that as all that terrible.
    Yeah, it's not too bad. Considering it's her first movie and it's a tiny part, I'm fine with the reviews she's been getting. As long as they're not so negative that she'll never want to try the acting route again, I'm good.

It's OK. Carrie didn't do this role because she wanted recognition. She did it because she believed in it. She's not an actress, so there are no worries.

Concert Stars
    yeah, these reviews are no big deal

remember when carries singing career started just a few short years ago...people said she was stiff...
    now look at her...do i need to put up her duet with steven tyler? i think not

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    Yeah, it's not too bad. Considering it's her first movie and it's a tiny part, I'm fine with the reviews she's been getting. As long as they're not so negative that she'll never want to try the acting route again, I'm good.
    agree. This time I prepared myself mentally that Carrie would get some cheat digs thrown at her from the usual haters she has in the media....so calling her stiff or wooden is not bad at all compared to what I was expecting. lol

My personal goal for Carrie was to not get trashed. That is all I asked for. lol And I think I got my wish. lol

^^ Yup. Exactly. I was much more disappointed reading the Play On Reviews.

By the way, here is a Box Office Prediction:

The inspirational family drama Soul Surfer rounds out the weekend's quartet of new choices bringing to the screen the true tale of a teen surfer who fights to get her life back on track after a shark bites her arm off. The PG-rated pic stars AnnaSophia Robb, Dennis Quaid, Helen Hunt, and Carrie Underwood. Expect business to come from top surf markets as well as the heartland. Reviews have been mixed but with tween girls not likely to take interest in the weekend's other new films, an opportunity exists for Sony's TriStar unit to take advantage of. Plus a good trailer and support from Underwood's many music fans won't hurt either. With a more subdued release in around 2,100 sites, about $7M could be taken in over three days.

Weekend Box Office

Concert Stars
    Thanx for posting that. $7 million is about what I expected since it only opened in 2100 theaters. Not bad.

Concert Stars
    hate when review people hate carrie!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPDOG1001 View Post
    It's OK. Carrie didn't do this role because she wanted recognition. She did it because she believed in it. She's not an actress, so there are no worries.
    Well, I thought I was going to agree with this statement but ended up not, LOL. She is an actress in this movie and I am quite certain she wanted to be believable as one and has said she might be interested in other parts because of how much she liked doing it - the entire process. I don't think the entire reason she took it is because she believed in it, which she did believe in it I agree, but think you misconstrued her statement on it in my opinion. She has said she was looking and it was the right part and she believed it had a great message is basically what I remember her saying. You can believe in something and still want to do well in it at the same time. She has expressed interest in acting, but said she wanted to start small and again, did say she would be interested again if the part was right. She said most want her to play a struggling singer so she was not interested in that.

But anyway, some reviews are kind of depressing but I know the job of a critic is to be critical I guess. I know there are probably some built in biases as well so I will probably save judgement until I see it tomorrow.

I get the feeling that the problem some people have with Carrie's character has more to do with the way she was written, not necessarily with the way Carrie portrayed her. And obviously Carrie can't change the script, she had to work with what she was given.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    I get the feeling that the problem some people have with Carrie's character has more to do with the way she was written, not necessarily with the way Carrie portrayed her. And obviously Carrie can't change the script, she had to work with what she was given.
    That is true. Actors often get judged on the material given them, even if not their fault. If there is say bad writing and they have to do it that way, they are going to get the credit for it being bad, right or wrong. Now, if you have the pull and THEN know how to change something or know what you are doing, some actors will get lines changed but that is after they have a lot of pull in the movie industry and a lot of experience, which she does not. Plenty of big actors have gotten trashed and some critics would actually admit it was probably more the script but still trashed them anyway. She may not be Oscar material the first time out but I am getting the feeling she did not have enough screen time to sink her teeth into it and show the various sides of her that maybe she could have brought out if in it more and thus able to develop her character more. Of course, that is speculation on my part but will probably be more evident on whether that is true or not after we see it.

And I am finding what one fan here said, in another thread, to be more true then ever in that they don't remember seeing such a bit part get reviewed so much in reviews. They often go unnoticed but some seem to want to zero in on Carrie and make sure people know what they think of her tiny part. She is not the center of this movie so not sure why some reviewers seem to be making her the center almost. Oh well. Actually, I am going to stop reading the reviews - have not read that many anyway because I want to see what my opinion is and not be convinced by those snarky people that it is bad before I even get there. (I took the word "snarky" from Tee because she has used it a few times in the past and thought it was funny and appropriate, LOL. Hope that is OK Tee??!!)

Concert Stars
    Well all I know is I'm going to go watch this movie!!!!! I don't care what the critics says! I'll be the judge myself. Generally, they usually have bad taste in movies anyways and love the ones I think suck or are just okay movies...LOL. The critics have been giving Carrie lukewarm reviews since day one of her career and it still hasn't stopped me from loving her or her music and now her acting. So why start now!!! Can't wait to watch this movie on Saturday WALK THIS WAY!!!! TALK THIS WAY!!!! JUST GIVE ME A SOUL SURFER KISS!!!!
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 04-07-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_kt View Post
    Well all I know is I'm going to go watch this movie!!!!! I don't care what the critics says! They have been giving Carrie lukewarm reviews since day one and it still hasn't stopped me from loving her or her music and now her acting. So why start now!!!

That is so true. What am I thinking. She has gotten trashed in everything for the most part (music wise) and we still love her music so I am just repeating what I said above, I am not going to read any more and just go see it. I did not usually read the music reviews after the first 1 or 2 and saw the writing on the wall so might as well not now. I am not waiting until Sat either. I want to see it before a lot here come back and start giving "opinions" too, LOL.

Concert Stars
    So are we just putting all of the reviews in this thread? 'Cause here's LA Times. Mixed-positive.

Faith, fate and surfing are entwined in this coming-of-age story about shark attack victim Bethany Hamilton

We then see Bethany practicing her passion in the Pacific and next thing you know, she's slipping on a sundress and (wait a minute, what's this?) joining her family at an outdoor church service, where Carrie Underwood, playing a youth group leader, is singing.
    Movie review: 'Soul Surfer' - latimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    So are we just putting all of the reviews in this thread? 'Cause here's LA Times. Mixed-positive.

Movie review: 'Soul Surfer' - latimes.com
    lol yeah I guess I started too. A lot of them have been negative, so I said why not just put them all in one thread? lol

•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast