Concert Stars

Chicago Tribune: Soul Surfer a Heartfelt Guest at a Surfing Tragedy

-- oops-- can you change the word "Guest" to "look"? My computer did it again.

This is a very good review from the Chicago Tribute. 2.5 stars out of 4, which isn't bad.

Soul Surfer review: Soul Surfer a heartfelt look at a surfing tragedy - chicagotribune.com

Soul Surfer" begins like most other coming-of-age movie dramas. Our young heroine, surfer girl Bethany Hamilton (AnnaSophia Robb) sketches out the details of her sunny life in a quick voice-over. She lives on the Hawaiian island of Kauai, has a loving family and, from the moment she rode her first wave, knew she wanted to be a pro surfer. "It's my passion, my way of life," Bethany says with matter-of-fact conviction.

We then see Bethany practicing her passion in the Pacific, and next thing you know, she's slipping on a sundress and (wait a minute, what's this?) joining her family at an outdoor church service where Carrie Underwood, playing a youth group leader, is singing. And five minutes in, even if you don't know Hamilton's rather remarkable story, you realize the conflict in this movie might not come from a boy or a parent or from buying the wrong bikini. It's going to come from God, and it's going to address the timeless question of why bad things happen to good people.

----continued at site----

Concert Stars
    Thanks for bringing us all these reviews!! Tomorrow is the 8th!!!!

Concert Stars
    ^^ yes thanks for all these reviews...nice to see what other people think of the movie!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    I liked that one a LOT!!

Thanks, Tee!

I love this quote from the article:

"And five minutes in, even if you don't know Hamilton's rather remarkable story, you realize the conflict in this movie might not come from a boy or a parent or from buying the wrong bikini. It's going to come from God, and it's going to address the timeless question of why bad things happen to good people."

•