Smile Ottawa Citizen: Riding the waves with determination (Feature/review)

Great article/review on Soul Surfer.

The movie features AnnaSophia Robb as Hamilton, who valiantly rebounds from the attack that nearly killed her to compete at an international competition weeks later.

Dennis Quaid and Helen Hunt play Hamiltonís supportive parents, while country singer Carrie Underwood shows up as Hamiltonís church youth-group leader.

Itís an uncomplicated narrative emphasizing Hamiltonís will and determination, bolstered by her supportive surfer family and their Christian beliefs.

Memorable are the dramatic surfing sequences before and after the attack. Impressive, too, are some seamless visual effects, which allowed Robb as Hamilton to create the appearance of having a stump for an arm.

It makes for an authentic story of tenacity and vigour.

Full story: Riding the waves with determination

Concert Stars
    nice that that Ottawa Citizen posted this....didnt think they would since Mike left LOL

just another fan

they didnt do a live blog? a minute by minute update as they watch the show?

Concert Stars
    awesome! I hope this one counts on the Metacritic crappy scale. lol

Concert Stars
    This is the way reviews should be -an interview with Bethany for her take on the movie, give some information to entice people to go see the movie and decide for themselves - I never go by reviews-
    it's only one persons opinion in the end and they tend to go toward the negative these days - it's the "IN" thing to do I guess to trash things -anyway I always like to discover for myself. I'm eager to see these surfing scenes, everyone seems to agree the cinematography is great!

The biggest criticism I'm seeing of the film is that critics feel the characters are too perfect, too idealized. They don't realize that these people really are that good in real life. The critics want to see fighting, people making huge mistakes, etc. That's not how this story played out, so why would the filmmakers put that in the movie? It just seems to be too tough for some critics to admit that, yes, Bethany and her family really do say grace before every meal, they really do show love and respect to each other and others around them, etc. They really are just good people.

So it's nice when writers like the one for this article take the time to actually research Bethany and her family, talk to them, understand the story. 'Cause I get the feeling that once you've talked to Bethany and have seen firsthand what an amazing person she is, it'd be hard to call her character in the movie "idealized" and "too perfect to be real".

•