Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Ultimate Carrie Fan AIgrl06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,783
    Concert Stars

    Village Voice and Boxoffice Magazine - Soul Surfer

    I hesitated in posting the first review, because it is extremeley negative (at least, I felt it was, but it somehow got a 40/100 on Metacritic). The second has the same score, but it seems less negative, although still not very good. Just as a reference, Soul Surfer sits at 50 (mixed or average reviews) on Metacritic right now, with only four reviews in so far.

    From Village Voice:

    Soul Surfer: Christian Pandering That Pretends It Isn't

    Young Ms. Hamilton’s story is inspiring, but if you need it spoon-fed by American Idol winner Carrie Underwood’s youth-group leader, you’re better off lost and godless.
    Soul Surfer: Christian Pandering That Pretends It Isn't - Page 1 - Movies - New York - Village Voice

    From Boxoffice Magazine:

    An Inspiring Story About a Brave Teen Athelete Loses Its Way

    Former American Idol winner and popular Country Western star Carrie Underwood brings extra attention to Soul Surfer by making her feature film debut as Bethany's church group leader, Sarah Hill, but her performance is forgettable at best.
    http://www.boxofficemagazine.com/rev...04-soul-surfer

    ..I've never posted articles in Carrie Underwood Times before, lol. I hope I did it right.
    Last edited by AIgrl06; 04-05-2011 at 09:49 PM.

  • #2
    Ultimate Carrie Fan TOPDOG1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,009
    Well, it's a small role, and I really didn't expect glowing reviews. And only a certain audience will really "get it." And that probably doesn't include many critics.

  • #3
    Ultimate Carrie Fan AIgrl06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,783
    Concert Stars
    I like that a lot of the critics aren't saying Carrie did a bad job, but rather that they didn't like the role (that's what I get out of the quote from the first article, anyway). And I agree with you that a faith-based film isn't necessarily going to be Hollywood's cup of tea.

  • #4
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,797
    Concert Stars
    Are there any papers that actually TOLERATE christian beliefs and that will be fair? Just curious.

    Thankfully Carrie is not getting trashed like Taylor did. "Forgettable" is fine. It is a small role so that is perfectly acceptable to say about it. Whatever.

    Honestly though--- the Village Voice is just as jaded and nasty sometimes as Slant magazine. They seem very anti-Christian to me, and I feel like they are mocking the movie because it is based on Christian beliefs. Sadly, I think other LA and NYC papers will do the same.

    They pretend to preach tolerance of big social issues- but if you dare to make a book, song, or movie about religion-- they will trash it because it is not their beliefs. Hypocrites.

  • #5
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    This movie isn't made to please critics. It was made to inspire people, and from the reviews I'm hearing from people who attended early screenings, it's accomplishing just that.

  • #6
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,797
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    I hesitated in posting the first review, because it is extremeley negative (at least, I felt it was, but it somehow got a 40/100 on Metacritic). The second has the same score, but it seems less negative, although still not very good. Just as a reference, Soul Surfer sits at 50 (mixed or average reviews) on Metacritic right now, with only four reviews in so far.

    .
    Funny thing-- I noticed that most of the movies out right now are at less then 40% on rotten tomatoes and Metacritic, so a 50 is pretty good actually. lol

    And they wonder why box office sales are dropping. Blame these negative nasty critics who trash everything. lol

  • #7
    Ultimate Carrie Fan TOPDOG1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,009
    Of course, if it bombs, Carrie will get all the headlines. lol But whatever. She took a risk, a small part in something she really believed in. So if it makes $100 or $100 mil, I'm proud she decided to be a part of this.

  • #8
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    I posted a comment on the first site.
    And yes, I signed it pklongbeach. Frustrating that a film critic can immediately close his/her mind to subject matter the second religion comes into play. Sorry, but just ignorant. Religious pandering? So what, a Harry Potter Movie is Witchcraft pandering?
    The 2nd one is a swipe at Carrie that we can not dispute. Forgettable only because she is barely in it. It's insulting for them to bring her up at all if she is indeed "forgettable".
    I anticipated this from most critics. As do the makers of the film I am sure.
    Can i just say, I am actually blown away by the amount of attention and promo it is actually getting.
    Most of us thought that this would be a quiet limited release film.
    This is a major release.
    So yes, every critic is going to want a shot at it.
    So let them.
    The people who see it, I believe, will be truly entertained.

  • #9
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Zman312's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,072
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Are there any papers that actually TOLERATE christian beliefs and that will be fair? Just curious.

    Thankfully Carrie is not getting trashed like Taylor did. "Forgettable" is fine. It is a small role so that is perfectly acceptable to say about it. Whatever.

    Honestly though--- the Village Voice is just as jaded and nasty sometimes as Slant magazine. They seem very anti-Christian to me, and I feel like they are mocking the movie because it is based on Christian beliefs. Sadly, I think other LA and NYC papers will do the same.

    They pretend to preach tolerance of big social issues- but if you dare to make a book, song, or movie about religion-- they will trash it because it is not their beliefs. Hypocrites.
    Tee, you know that I really like you and I respect your post, but you need to STOP bringing Taylor up on everything. Carrie is in a different league of her own and doesn't need that Taylor comparison. Carrie did what he believed in and if the critics trash her than so be it, we the fan will decide on our own.

  • #10
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Are there any papers that actually TOLERATE christian beliefs and that will be fair? Just curious.

    Thankfully Carrie is not getting trashed like Taylor did. "Forgettable" is fine. It is a small role so that is perfectly acceptable to say about it. Whatever.

    Honestly though--- the Village Voice is just as jaded and nasty sometimes as Slant magazine. They seem very anti-Christian to me, and I feel like they are mocking the movie because it is based on Christian beliefs. Sadly, I think other LA and NYC papers will do the same.

    They pretend to preach tolerance of big social issues- but if you dare to make a book, song, or movie about religion-- they will trash it because it is not their beliefs. Hypocrites.
    I agree with you and I live in LA.
    It's absloutely true that many people preach about individual beliefs but they don't really believe that at all.
    Everybody wants people to believe what they believe.
    But that is "Not the job of a film reviewer"!
    They should do their job and say wether it is good or not and why!

  • #11
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,797
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I posted a comment on the first site.
    And yes, I signed it pklongbeach. Frustrating that a film critic can immediately close his/her mind to subject matter the second religion comes into play. Sorry, but just ignorant. Religious pandering? So what, a Harry Potter Movie is Witchcraft pandering?
    The 2nd one is a swipe at Carrie that we can not dispute. Forgettable only because she is barely in it. It's insulting for them to bring her up at all if she is indeed "forgettable".
    I anticipated this from most critics. As do the makers of the film I am sure.
    Can i just say, I am actually blown away by the amount of attention and promo it is actually getting.
    Most of us thought that this would be a quiet limited release film.
    This is a major release.
    So yes, every critic is going to want a shot at it.
    So let them.
    The people who see it, I believe, will be truly entertained.
    I bet some of the critics will be the same ones that trash Carrie for her albums. For some reason, they just despise Carrie. I have no idea why. Probably because she came from American Idol and she is sweet. I will never understand what it is about Carrie that causes critics to take cheaps shots at her. Must be the reality tv start. But they worship Miranda, so who knows.

  • #12
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,797
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I agree with you and I live in LA.
    It's absloutely true that many people preach about individual beliefs but they don't really believe that at all.
    Everybody wants people to believe what they believe.
    But that is "Not the job of a film reviewer"!
    They should do their job and say wether it is good or not and why!
    agree. It is very interesting that the positive 3.5/5 star review from thue Orlando Sentinel is not part of Metacritic. why does Metacritic only include the bad reviews, but not the good ones?

    For carrie's Play On Album, there were many positive reviews like USA Today that were not included in Carrie's metacritic score. They only included the bad ones for some reason. Same with Soul Surfer/.

    Why do they get to pick and choose which reviews to put in their scoring? shouldn't every single review go in there? confused.

  • #13
    Ultimate Carrie Fan AIgrl06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,783
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I bet some of the critics will be the same ones that trash Carrie for her albums. For some reason, they just despise Carrie. I have no idea why. Probably because she came from American Idol and she is sweet. I will never understand what it is about Carrie that causes critics to take cheaps shots at her. Must be the reality tv start. But they worship Miranda, so who knows.
    I don't think critics hate Carrie. Carnival Ride has a 72 on Metacritic, with zero negative reviews. I think that's pretty great. Sure, they didn't love Play On, but I hardly think critics despise her. Plus, they haven't exactly been terrible to her in Soul Surfer reviews. I've yet to read a review that absolutely bashes Carrie's performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    agree. It is very interesting that the positive 3.5/5 star review from thue Orlando Sentinel is not part of Metacritic. why does Metacritic only include the bad reviews, but not the good ones?

    For carrie's Play On Album, there were many positive reviews like USA Today that were not included in Carrie's metacritic score. They only included the bad ones for some reason. Same with Soul Surfer/.

    Why do they get to pick and choose which reviews to put in their scoring? shouldn't every single review go in there? confused.
    Metacritic uses a system where they only include reviews by respected publications. Rotten Tomatoes includes all reviews, but you have to realize that a large number of those reviews are from bloggers and people who have absolutely no experience in critiquing movies. I personally always refer to Metacritic.

    This page has a list of publications Metacritic includes in their scoring.

    https://metacritic.custhelp.com/app/...ZC9DOFVxQkczaw

  • #14
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,797
    Concert Stars
    Thanx. That makes sense. But why would Metacritic not include the USA Today score in Carrie's Play on Tour? Isn't USA Today a pretty reputable paper? lol

    Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    I don't think critics hate Carrie. Carnival Ride has a 72 on Metacritic, with zero negative reviews. I think that's pretty great. Sure, they didn't love Play On, but I hardly think critics despise her. Plus, they haven't exactly been terrible to her in Soul Surfer reviews. I've yet to read a review that absolutely bashes Carrie's performance.



    Metacritic uses a system where they only include reviews by respected publications. Rotten Tomatoes includes all reviews, but you have to realize that a large number of those reviews are from bloggers and people who have absolutely no experience in critiquing movies. I personally always refer to Metacritic.

    This page has a list of publications Metacritic includes in their scoring.

    https://metacritic.custhelp.com/app/...ZC9DOFVxQkczaw

  • #15
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,797
    Concert Stars
    Country Weekly has never ever reviewed a Carrie album for some reason, and they are included on the list of metacritic. Odd.

  • #16
    Ultimate Carrie Fan AIgrl06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,783
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Thanx. That makes sense. But why would Metacritic not include the USA Today score in Carrie's Play on Tour? Isn't USA Today a pretty reputable paper? lol
    Do you mean her CD? 'Cause Metacritic doesn't score tours. But apparently USA Today is a reputable source with Movies and Television but not Music. Whatevs, lol.

  • #17
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    I like that a lot of the critics aren't saying Carrie did a bad job, but rather that they didn't like the role (that's what I get out of the quote from the first article, anyway). And I agree with you that a faith-based film isn't necessarily going to be Hollywood's cup of tea.
    It does sound like that people are having a bigger issue with the role than with Carrie's performance.

  • #18
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,797
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    Do you mean her CD? 'Cause Metacritic doesn't score tours. But apparently USA Today is a reputable source with Movies and Television but not Music. Whatevs, lol.
    Figures because USA Today gave Carrie's PO cd a good review, so figures it would not be included on metacritic. lol

  • #19
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    It does sound like that people are having a bigger issue with the role than with Carrie's performance.
    Absolutely. And it is true that the media is picking up on the "Carrie Underwood Debut" angle so it would appear the film is riding on Carries involvement. But I don't think thats a fair assessment.
    Carrie gets alot of press, yes. But her part in the fim is limited, so there is no need for reviewers to needlessly bring her up as a problem with the film.
    I do think it is notewrothy that she is involved, but to bring her up as "part of the problem" like some have is needless.
    I won't know till I see it, but I think Carrie probably did a great job of doing exactly what the role called for. And any attention beyond that may be great for the film but should not be held against Carrie.

  • #20
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    I think the problem with a lot of these critics is they see all this hype and promo that Carrie is getting for being part of the movie, so they expect her to be a big featured role in it. They don't realize that she's not intended to be the star of the film. Her role is not supposed to be huge. It's supposed to be a small, supporting role.


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Slant Magazine Soul Surfer Review
      By teesharky in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
    2. Soul Surfer Clips
      By m.chill99 in forum Carrie Underwood Chat
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 04-05-2011, 04:32 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •