xor

ACM honors top female artist in 'Girls Night Out'

ACM honors top female artist in 'Girls Night Out'
    By CHRIS TALBOTT - AP Entertainment Writer

LAS VEGAS — It took Miranda Lambert no time at all to name her favorite performance during the taping of "ACM Presents Girls' Night Out: Superstar Women of Country."
    "My favorite part of the night was Carrie Underwood," Lambert said. "She brought the house down."
    A day after her sizzling performance with Aerosmith's Steven Tyler at The Academy of Country Music Awards, Underwood was at it again Monday night during a tribute to some of the iconic women of the genre that will air April 22 on CBS. She teamed with Vince Gill on "How Great Thou Art," bringing the crowd to its feet yet again with a soaring, pitch-perfect vocal.

"I love being able to do different dynamic things," Underwood said "... Those rare moments when you get to do something that's unexpected or out of the blue, that's where creativity comes out when you put yourself in that one moment."

The academy saluted Underwood, Lambert, Loretta Lynn, Reba McEntire, The Judds, Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles and Martina McBride with another round of interesting combinations. Rascal Flatts serenaded Reba, John Fogerty saluted The Judds, Ronnie Dunn joined Nettles, Little Big Town sang for McBride and Blake Shelton performed for Lambert, his fiance.
    Lambert admitted to getting misty during Shelton's performance of her song "Famous in a Small Town."
    "I almost cried the whole time," she said. "Everybody's tribute was really emotional because it was really cool to celebrate women."
    After a video tribute and performance, each singer got up for a song. Reba kicked things off by joining Rascal Flatts on "The Heart Won't Lie."
    "I love the fact that she isn't afraid to take chances on songs," Rascal Flatts guitarist Joe Don Rooney said. "She has cut all kinds of different styles of songs and she owned them."
    Dunn and Nettles performed "Let Him Fly" together, Little Big Town and McBride teamed on "When Will I Be Loved," Lambert put together a band, Pistol Annie, with Ashley Monroe and Angaleena Presley to perform "Hell on Heels" and Wynonna joined Fogerty on a powerful version of "Proud Mary" as Naomi watched from the side of the stage where she danced and took a picture during the Creedence Clearwater Revival icon's guitar solo.
    "I love her voice. She kills," Fogerty said. "Like the song of The Judds that I sing by myself, listening to her performance on that record, 'Rockin' with the Rhythm of the Rain,' she does things on purpose with the changes in her voice, it's like a guitar player bending notes or something. It's cool."
    Other performers included Jason Aldean, The Band Perry, the JaneDear girls and Sara Evans.
    The night's honorees gathered on stage after their tributes to sing "Coal Miner's Daughter" for Lynn, who was scheduled to appear but had to cancel because she's recovering from knee surgery. Lynn did appear in a taped message from her home in Hurricane Mills, Tenn.
    "Such a sistership," Wynonna Judd said of the gathering. "Women bond in a way that's very sacred. I look at Loretta up there, who's the reason I'm in country music. We stand on her shoulders. And looking at Carrie and Miranda and Jennifer and thinking this is the next generation, and I'm just in a surreal place that's between worlds."

Source: ACM honors top female artist in 'Girls Night Out' - Music News - Wire - TheState.com

Concert Stars
    omg she looks stunning!!!

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Go Carrie always my ETOTY

YES! I am SO EXCITED that she performed that song! It's Carrie's strongest vocal, IMO. It shows her range so well...and you can tell it speaks to her emotionally.

Concert Stars
    Wow Carrie is having a great week despite losing. lol Take that, acm and cma voters! lol

Carrie is winning anyway. lol

After that performance I don't care what the award shows say, Carrie IS the FVOTY.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Something about that picture is sweet to me. As if all the ups and downs Carrie has gone through have come out of her, and she's realizing none of that matters because she's doing what she loves and just brought another crowd to their feet.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    It has been quite a week for our Carrie - and for her fans it has been fabulous!!
    Tribute to Bush, ACM's performance and now the Girls Night Out - if every week was like this we'd think we'd died and gone to heaven.
    Its like the world is trying to make up for her snubs and she is showing them all what she is made of - rocker chic and lady full of faith. What a combination we are so blessed with!! What a talent. What new wonders do we have in store for us?!?! She just keeps giving us bigger more fabulous peerformances, what could possibly be the next step?!? Kinda scary!! Where has Mike been thru all this? Haven't heard a word but maybe I'm just missing the posts as we are all so excited. Sure do love our Carrie!

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDollyDee View Post
    It has been quite a week for our Carrie - and for her fans it has been fabulous!!
    Tribute to Bush, ACM's performance and now the Girls Night Out - if every week was like this we'd think we'd died and gone to heaven.
    Its like the world is trying to make up for her snubs and she is showing them all what she is made of - rocker chic and lady full of faith. What a combination we are so blessed with!! What a talent. What new wonders do we have in store for us?!?! She just keeps giving us bigger more fabulous peerformances, what could possibly be the next step?!? Kinda scary!! Where has Mike been thru all this? Haven't heard a word but maybe I'm just missing the posts as we are all so excited. Sure do love our Carrie!
    Mike and the Preds are in a playoff run. I'm sure he would have loved to have been with Carrie but he has responsibilities as well.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I haven't seen this posted...And, I'm not sure if I am doing it right... Sorry..

YouTube - 4-4-11 Carrie Underwood sings "How Great Thou Art"

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    "Women bond in a way that's very sacred. I look at Loretta up there, who's the reason I'm in country music. We stand on her shoulders. And looking at Carrie and Miranda and Jennifer and thinking this is the next generation, and I'm just in a surreal place that's between worlds." -Wynonna Judd

Probably my favorite part of the whole article, and it came from Wynonna. It's nice to see a tender side of her personality

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    Mike and the Preds are in a playoff run. I'm sure he would have loved to have been with Carrie but he has responsibilities as well.
    My gosh it would be terrible to see your wife in all these fabulous events and miss them all - how very very sad for him!! He has got to be having his own excitement but too bad they both had to come at the same time!! Glad her Mom could be with her!

•