Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arista Confirms SLT not being promoted to radio

Hi Gary,

As always, I enjoy reading your columns and articles.

I noticed that Carrie Underwood's "Songs Like This" has reached only No. 47 on the Country Songs chart. I know that she's enjoyed a streak of 13 consecutive "official" studio album singles reaching either No. 1 or 2. Might her streak be over? Or, is "Songs Like This" not a true radio release?

Musical greetings,

Jose Carlos Santos
    Mexicali, Baja, México

Hi Jose,

Thanks very much!

Arista Nashville confirms that "Songs Like This" (which I praised as a possible single choice in this "Ask Billboard" column almost a year ago) is not being actively promoted to radio. Still, it rises 48-47 in its seventh week on Country Songs, with 871,000 audience impressions this week on 27 stations (of 127 overall chart reporters), according to Nielsen BDS.

The label has no plans to release any more singles from Underwood's third album, "Play On."

"Songs Like This" is simply a case of "just aggressive country programmers looking for more Carrie between projects," says an Arista Nashville source.

"Carrie is busy writing songs for her next album."

Fans and those in the industry can get more news from Underwood herself, as she's just been added to the lineup of Billboard's Country Music Summit, presented in association with the Country Music Assn., June 6 and 7 in Nashville. Underwood will participate in an exclusive "Superstar Q&A" with Billboard senior chart manager Wade Jessen.

Music News, Reviews, Articles, Information, News Online & Free Music | Billboard.com

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Not really a big surprise.

Concert Stars
    good info to know!

Junior Carrie Follower
    June 7th is the date of Carrie's Fan Club Party. No wonder she hasn't given the time yet !!

Concert Stars
    Thanks for posting, we still will continue to request!!! Sorry, Arista like 27 radio stations the fans want to continue to hear Our Carrie!!

Junior Carrie Follower
    I will always wonder why they did not release any more singles from Play On. IMO Play On is an extremely good CD that was always getting underrated !!-It still has more good singles on it !!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by lilstar View Post
    I will always wonder why they did not release any more singles from Play On. IMO Play On is an extremely good CD that was always getting underrated !!-It still has more good singles on it !!
    My guess is that after the tour was over she was far more interested in being married and good for her if that was the case.
    Last edited by JB172; 03-25-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Concert Stars
    ^^^That on top of the fact that it seemed like they only planned on having 4 singles for PO from the get-go since right before the album dropped, the songs they promoted or showcased on itunes (CC, TH, Undo it, MS) all ended up being singles. Imo the label had a game plan from the beginning and the 4 songs they chose to release to itunes to promote the album were always going to be the 4 singles they planned on having and nothing more.

I'm hoping for the next album they won't have it already predetermined what the singles will be ahead of time w/o input from the fans or at least keep it a surprise as to what the next single will be to make the single releases more exciting and keep us guessing rather than just have the songs they showcased on itunes for the album release all be the singles.
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 03-25-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Junior Carrie Follower wonderboy's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    "Songs Like This" is simply a case of "just aggressive country programmers looking for more Carrie between projects," says an Arista Nashville source.
    Even the radio stations miss Carrie!

Brad Paisley's album's gonna be released in two months, and "Remind Me" thus dooms to storm country charts the day it releases (or earlier if it leaks), meaning there will only be a mere 8 weeks for "Songs Like This" to climb, if they ever decided to make it a single. It's basically impossible for it to peak in such a short time span, which only one Carrie single did so -- "Cowboy Casanova" taking 8 weeks to #1.

Not to mention, songs like "The More Boy I Meet", "I'll Stand By You", "Inside Your Heaven" etc. also charted on charts in similar positions so it's not like SLT is smashing for real. I think even "Home Sweet Home" charted. Oh and "Bless The Broken Road" with Rascal Flatts.

Concert Stars
    I still think the lack of a 5th single has nothing whatsoever to do with Carrie being married and wanting to enjoy time with Mike. She doesn't have to do much at all once the label picks a radio single. The label does all the work, with us fans requesting, and Carrie can sit back at home relaxing with Mike if she wants, while her songs climb the charts. Only when they do a big push for number 1 is Carrie required to do radio interviews, which she does from home usually. So even that won't interferre with time with Mike.

Sorry, I just don't buy that theory. lol Releasing a single to radio has little to do with the artist herself, as the work of promoting it is done by the label.

There is clearly some other reason they chose not to release a 5th single, and we may never know.

Obsessed Carrie Fan undrwood9098's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    At least it's now CONFIRMED.

Still, I'm gonna keep requesting.

Concert Stars
    It would mean so much more if we could get it high enough where the label might want to help us out a bit...

#47 and still gaining.... Not bad for non-single song. . . . .

Concert Stars
    This is confirmation of something we already know...LOL The fans have decided to promote SLT without the labels help and were doing a great job IMHO! Now that we know REMIND ME is being released at the end of May thats the real comfirmation that the label is gonna leave us on our own with SLT!!! And im alright with that it seems the label does have a plan!! I think this duet is gonna be huge for Brad and it could be a career defining moment for Carrie if its as good as Jimmie says it is!!! That being said im still on a mission to get SLT into the top 40 so lets get er done!!!!

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I still think the ......with time with Mike.

Sorry, I just don't buy that theory. lol Releasing a single to radio has little to do with the artist herself, as the work of promoting it is done by the label.

There is cl.....never know.
    Tee, I think you mentioned the reason for not fifth release. The label does not want to spend any money on promotion. It isn't Carrie at all. You are right about that.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    If Arista did release a 5th single at the beginning of Feb, then that is 15-16 weeks before Memorial Day - plenty of time for the single to move up the charts. And if the label released a 5th single after it gave up on MS, then that would have been an extra 4-6 weeks.

I still wonder how much money does it take to promote a single, especially a 5th single. Maybe $100k? $250k max?

Carrie Guru
    At this moment, Carrie does NOT need any promotion from the label --she has gotten enough "BUZZ" .

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    Tee, I think you mentioned the reason for not fifth release. The label does not want to spend any money on promotion. It isn't Carrie at all. You are right about that.
    yeah but they released a 5th single for Miranda, while carrie's album sold much more so there is more money in the coffers for Carrie to spend then Miranda. That is why I am confused why she got a 5th single but Carrie didn't. I think that is very unfair.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    yeah but they released a 5th single for Miranda, while carrie's album sold much more so there is more money in the coffers for Carrie to spend then Miranda. That is why I am confused why she got a 5th single but Carrie didn't. I think that is very unfair.
    Their people resources were put on ML so nobody was available for Carrie. It isn't about the money but the people at the label. I agree with your confusion on who the label should back.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast