Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Ty
    Ty is offline
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6,315

    Roughstock Interview w/ Simon Cowell - Carrie Mention

    Matt: Why does it seem like country music has helped to give past Idols sustainable careers, maybe more so than other genres?


    Simon: Well, it was interesting. With Carrie Underwood, from the first day she came into the audition. It was honestly like everybody else was in black in white and this girl was in full color. She was the absolute total package. She looked the part, she sounded the part, and most of all, she knew who she wanted to be. So I was really one of the first to support her and I would love to find somebody like another Carrie Underwood. But what we look for on this show, all these shows is to find somebody who’s unique. So if we find a country singer through the process, I’ll be thrilled.


    Simon Cowell's "The X Factor" Would Love To Find "Another Carrie Underwood" | New Country Music, Listen to Songs & Video | Roughstock.com

  • #2
    Insane Carrie Fan abbeyjones18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    5,126
    Very nice Carrie mention. He has a good point about Carrie standing out...Carrie was one of the ones that I remembered from the first auditions...

  • #3
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    Matt: Why does it seem like country music has helped to give past Idols sustainable careers, maybe more so than other genres?


    Simon: Well, it was interesting. With Carrie Underwood, from the first day she came into the audition. It was honestly like everybody else was in black in white and this girl was in full color. She was the absolute total package. She looked the part, she sounded the part, and most of all, she knew who she wanted to be. So I was really one of the first to support her and I would love to find somebody like another Carrie Underwood. But what we look for on this show, all these shows is to find somebody who’s unique. So if we find a country singer through the process, I’ll be thrilled.




    Simon Cowell's "The X Factor" Would Love To Find "Another Carrie Underwood" | New Country Music, Listen to Songs & Video | Roughstock.com
    Agree with this.

  • #4
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    Nice Carrie mention. But he didn't really answer the question at all. lol

  • #5
    Obsessed Carrie Fan undrwood9098's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,889
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Nice Carrie mention. But he didn't really answer the question at all. lol
    Glad I'm not the only one that thought that.

    But it's nice reassurance that Simon has nothing but the utmost respect for Carrie.

  • #6
    Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,347
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Nice Carrie mention. But he didn't really answer the question at all. lol
    haha I think he is saying that contestants who are aspiring country singers tend to have a better idea of who they are and the exact type of music they want to make, and thus, stand out more (like Carrie did).

  • #7
    Obsessed Carrie Fan CarrieFan_01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,157
    Concert Stars
    He also mentioned Carrie in his twitter chat today!


  • #8
    Carrie Fans Maniac kewlie78189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,142
    Concert Stars
    aww very nice comments from him!

  • #9
    Insane Carrie Fan liveasong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,691
    Concert Stars
    That's so nice of him! LOL. But this is nothing new =P.

  • #10
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    4,185
    I remember he said the exact same thing about carrie (the black/white and color part) during his oprah interview about a year ago

  • #11
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    Well the reason country helps idol is because it's mostly country fans voting for this show. It's the same reason Dancing with the stars goes to CMA fest every year lol. Country fans like to vote for crap.
    Huh?? American Idol started out as a pop talent show & it probably attracts a lot more pop fans than country. If country artists were more popular, Carrie wouldn't be the only country artist to win the show. Granted, country was accepted on the show because of Carrie's success, but I certainly don't think the majority of fans voting are country fans.

    It was nice of Simon to make those comments, but for some reason I feel like I never fully understand his true intentions. We know he loves Carrie, but it's puzzling to me that Simon said he'd love to find another Carrie, yet he has been very, very vocal about his dislike for country music & inability to take it seriously. .
    It's also ironic that HE always wants to take credit for discovering Carrie; there were two other judges in the room, and he certainly wasn't the only one who recognized her talent.
    Not only that, but AMERICA made her a superstar, not the judges.

    Would he be making the same comments if Leona and Carrie hadn't become famous?? Talent is talent, and I don't believe you can tell who will be a star and who will flop from the second they walk in the room.

    I'm not trying to be overly cynical, but I just find the approach toward Carrie's success to be a tad arrogant; he may have helped discover her, but we made her successful.

  • #12
    Carrie Guru
    Kizmet311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Carrie Land
    Posts
    12,464
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post


    Huh?? American Idol started out as a pop talent show & it probably attracts a lot more pop fans than country. If country artists were more popular, Carrie wouldn't be the only country artist to win the show. Granted, country was accepted on the show because of Carrie's success, but I certainly don't think the majority of fans voting are country fans.

    It was nice of Simon to make those comments, but for some reason I feel like I never fully understand his true intentions. We know he loves Carrie, but it's puzzling to me that Simon said he'd love to find another Carrie, yet he has been very, very vocal about his dislike for country music & inability to take it seriously. .
    It's also ironic that HE always wants to take credit for discovering Carrie; there were two other judges in the room, and he certainly wasn't the only one who recognized her talent.
    Not only that, but AMERICA made her a superstar, not the judges.

    Would he be making the same comments if Leona and Carrie hadn't become famous?? Talent is talent, and I don't believe you can tell who will be a star and who will flop from the second they walk in the room.

    I'm not trying to be overly cynical, but I just find the approach toward Carrie's success to be a tad arrogant; he may have helped discover her, but we made her successful.
    Why do you think most AI winners are from the SOUTH or Midwest! And the south and southeast especially, is where the majority of your voters are. Hil isn't wrong - it is a lot of country fans/people that vote. But just because someone is a country music fan doesn't mean they can't appreciate rock or other genres. It's also why in some years the person with the best personality or package wins over someone with more talent.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •