Carrie Underwood a Keynote Guest at Billboard Country Summit

Carrie Underwood is set for an opening-day Superstar Q&A June 6 at the second annual Billboard Country Music Summit at the Renaissance Nashville Hotel.

Underwood will discuss a variety of topics related to her career and the changing dynamics of the music industry in a one-hour discussion with Billboard senior chart manager, Nashville, Wade Jessen.
    Much more at the PDF article here: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/billb...pdate_0321.pdf

cool...thanks for the info...

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    This is very classy stuff.

Concert Stars
    oh very cool! interesting to see what questions are asked...maybe new album info will come out? or am i dreaming LOL

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Wow, that's a cool honor. Would love to hear this speech.

Concert Stars
    Both an honor for her and for them.
    What a great opportunity for them to hear 1st hand what it is to be a huge overight sensation and what "can change" and stay the same to make country music continue to thrive.
    Of all the country artists they might have asked, it is quite a priviledge for Carrie to be asked to participate and quite a priviledge for them that she said yes.

This is pretty cool.

Concert Stars
    Outstanding! They picked a very articulate...magnum cum laude.....graduate!!! Would love to hear it!!

Concert Stars
    bah! can someone copy & paste teh article for me/ it will not let me view it

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allirishgirl View Post
    bah! can someone copy & paste teh article for me/ it will not let me view it
    It is a pdf and I can't cut and paste from a pdf. The article goes on about other stuff so you are not missing much.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    It is a pdf and I can't cut and paste from a pdf. The article goes on about other stuff so you are not missing much.

ah ok thanks

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Here is the pertinent portion of the article:

Carrie Underwood is set for an opening-day Superstar Q&A June 6 at the second annual Billboard Country Music Summit at the Renaissance Nashville Hotel. Underwood will discuss a variety of topics related to her career and the changing dynamics of the music industry in a one-hour discussion with Billboard senior chart manager, Nashville, Wade Jessen. “Last year’s inaugural event was an unprecedented success, and with the addition of a star like Underwood, we are sure to have another fantastic year,” Billboard editorial director Bill Werde says. “We look forward to providing the industry’s leaders with another great lineup of events and a unique forum to discuss the state of country music days prior to the CMA Music Festival.” Co-sponsored by Billboard and the Country Music Assn., the two-day conference provides a lead-in to the festival, slated this year for June 9-12. Underwood is an ideal choice for the keynote slot. She emerged via “American Idol,” a means of exposure that was not traditionally available to country singers on their way up. She has become a member of the Grand Ole Opry, a three-time winner of the CMA female vocalist of the year honor and a five-time Grammy Award winner. She’s sold 13 million albums and landed 13 No. 1 titles on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post

Thank you so much for this.

Does anyone know anything about last year's summit? Specifically, what kinds of questions were asked? It says it will be talking about Carrie's career and the changing face in country music. I'm curious to know what kinds of career-related questions will be asked, especially considering all the speculation we've had in the past few months with regards to the ethics of label decisions at award shows, marketing, etc.

Ty
    Tim McGraw was last year's keynote speaker, here's an article recapping some of his discussion:

Yesterday’s Billboard Country Music Summit, held at the Hermitage Hotel in downtown Nashville, turned out to be far more interesting than we were expecting.

First, you had Tim McGraw, a keynote speaker, humbly retelling his story of how he went from rags to riches. Growing up in rural Louisiana, says McGraw, he never imagined he could be one of country music’s biggest superstars. Still, in college, he pawned his high school ring to buy a guitar, and moved to Nashville shortly after. On his first day in town, he met many of the key players in his career, including the exec at Curb Records who signed him to a record deal, after first threatening to kick him out of the office. His first record “went wood,” but McGraw’s been racking up platinum hits ever since.

“In order to start a career or keep a career,” he said, “you have to have a song that people are either gonna fall for instantly, or never want to hear again. It can’t be lukewarm.” McGraw, who estimates that he listens to a thousand songs a year in his quest to find new material, also praised his internal A&R department: “I’ve got the best ears I can have with me in the house, with my wife [Faith Hill]. And even she and I don’t always agree.”

McGraw mentioned that his upcoming album for Curb would be his last for the label, and that he’d like to pursue other projects, like a digital EP of roots music, or an album of ’70s rock covers, with the original artists joining him in the studio.
    American Songwriter Visits The Billboard Country Music Summit | American Songwriter

Ty
    Here's an even better recap from Billboard's official site:

During a keynote interview at the Billboard Country Music Summit on Tuesday, country star Tim McGraw talked with Billboard's Ray Waddell about the early days of his career and what he may do after his next album completes his deal with Curb Records.

The two had an hour-long, often funny conversation that was a highlight of the two-day conference.

-- McGraw's early Nashville years: After moving to Nashville in 1989, McGraw said, "it took a while" to find his voice and gain confidence. A few years later, he walked into Mike Borchetta's office and ended up with a record deal. Producer Byron Gallimore helped his career tremendously. "We both had nothing to lose," he said of the beginning of their success together.

-- McGraw's next studio album is the last on his Curb Records contract - and it's already recorded, but not yet mixed. He'd like to do smaller projects that are released online. He'd like to do rootsy projects, or theme albums, or cover albums (he admitted he'd love to do a '70s rock cover album). "I've had a great career," he said, "but after 13 albums, it's time for a change."

-- Even though the Internet has given him the ability to make more impressions, McGraw said he focuses on quality. The most important impressions, he told the audience, are the fans he plays to each night.

-- He'd like to see more of a symbiotic relationship between touring success and what radio is doing. Playlists are so tight, he said, that an artist with a successful tour isn't getting radio play. McGraw added that artists shouldn't feel like they have to cheapen themselves to get radio play. And he notes that "radio is fantastic to me" and he appreciates the support, but he wants more local control over radio playlists.

-- McGraw considers acting to be just another creative outlet. With "Friday Night Lights," his acting debut, McGraw identified with the character. It it was a great script and a great movie, he said. Although he wasn't sure he wanted to do another football movie, he found it tough to pass up "The Blind Side" when he found out Sandra Bullock was involved. But he didn't have a clue it would end up being such a special and successful movie. "It's a testament to great story," he said. "It's just like country music."
    Tim McGraw: 'After 13 Albums, It's Time For a Change' | Billboard.biz

Sounds like we should be in for a pretty revealing interview. Maybe even get some tidbits about the next album.

Hmm, they might ask her about acting too. Wonder if Carrie's gotten any more offers since Soul Surfer that she's been interested in?

•