Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed Carrie Fan undrwood9098's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Kara DioGuardi will be writing with Carrie in a few weeks.

Not sure how I feel about this. While she did co-write UI and MS, those are 2 of the songs that were really slaughtered by most critics, and a lot of her material is very generic and a bit cliché.

Exclusive: Kara DioGuardi on new show, jingle contest, and Adam Lambert honors - National TV | Examiner.com

So I can't do a Kara DioGuardi interview without asking who you're working with both now and in the future...

I just did some stuff with Theory of a Dead Man, I’ve been working with Jason Derulo, went to Nashville and worked with Luke Bryan … I’m going to be working with Adam Levine of Maroon 5. So I’m still doing my thing. I have Carrie Underwood [coming up] in a few weeks.

Concert Stars
    Well, I know how I feel about it... Anyway, this was posted in another thread already.

Obsessed Carrie Fan AdamLikesCarrie's Avatar
    I am just ok with Kara, sometimes her songs are good, sometimes are bad...
    And i don't like getting influence by media critics...As long as i like it, that's it. People have different taste, and some are biased too...
    I love Undo It, but not so much for MS...Still i'm ok with this news...quite looking forward too

lab
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by undrwood9098 View Post
    Not sure how I feel about this. While she did co-write UI and MS, those are 2 of the songs that were really slaughtered by most critics, and a lot of her material is very generic and a bit cliché.

Exclusive: Kara DioGuardi on new show, jingle contest, and Adam Lambert honors - National TV | Examiner.com

Although making and sharing music is a CREATIVE PROCESS, being an ARTIST and MAKING MONEY FROM THAT ART are two different things. Making music is NOT ALL ABOUT "THE CRITICS". Since the LIFEBLOOD of the financially driven "Recording Company" is "SELLING CDs and SELLING SONGS", therefore, to EARN A PROFIT ...... It is also the LIFEBLOOD of the CAREER of an artist because WITHOUT NEW ALBUMS AND WITHOUT NEW MUSIC, THERE WILL BE NO "LIVE CONCERT TOURS", etc. A stronger MARKET-ORIENTED INNOVATION is the KEY FACTOR IN INFLUENCING SUCCESS in gaining COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE IN THE "MUSIC MARKET". OTHERWISE, your FATE AS AN ARTIST WILL BE LIKE the fate of SOME of the TOP EXECUTIVES of "Sony Music Entertainment, Inc., Nashville. The COST-CUTTING OVERHAUL result in the layoff of those EXECUTIVES and SOME OF THE LEGENDARY COUNTRY MUSIC ARTIST. At the end of the day ...... IT IS ALL ABOUT THE "13 BEST SONG IDEAS as Carrie said in her blog before, whether or not they are co-written by Carrie", "EVALUATED, PRIORITIZED AND THEN SELECTED" WITH "CARRIE FANS IN CARRIE'S MIND AND CROSSOVER APPEAL".

Concert Stars
    great news!

As I posted in another thread, lol, I would be more content if Kara is out of the picture. IMO there are a lot of country songwriters out there who would have been better choices for Carrie to cowrite with.

Concert Stars
    awesome news!

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Yay Kara is writing for Carrie again for her 4th album

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo... Please Carrie no more Kara's songs!

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    just breathe guys. doesnt mean the songs will make the album. if they do, i actually liked undo it and mama's song so whatev... BUT, Kara is legitimately trying to get into country music, she's moved to nashville. she was at my cousins number party for Blake Shelton's song. carrie prob just wants to help her out. This isnt some forced idol connection. Kara HATES idol.
    becca T

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    just breathe guys. doesnt mean the songs will make the album. if they do, i actually liked undo it and mama's song so whatev... BUT, Kara is legitimately trying to get into country music, she's moved to nashville. she was at my cousins number party for Blake Shelton's song. carrie prob just wants to help her out. This isnt some forced idol connection. Kara HATES idol.
    becca T
    I really liked UnDo It too. Mama's song is okay. However, if the label knew all along they were only going to release 4 songs then in hind sight I wished they had released WCIS as the fourth single. I think we should just see what happens with Kara. It's like you said the songs may not make the album. Actually Kara has been writing with several country music artists so who knows they may come up with a very good song.

Concert Stars
    I loved Undo It, but not so much MS. So she is 1 for 2 in my book. lol I just think Carrie needs to write with more Nashville people like the Oklahoma Wind writers-- as they seem to dislike it when she writes with people like Kara. who knows though.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I love what mama's song stands for and it's one of my favorite songs but it simply doesn't do justice for someone as talented as carrie.
    undo it is very catchy and sasssy but in my opinion, just didn't have the country root in it if that makes any sense at all... (the underlining theme seems similar to "flat on the floor" which I, personally would have preferred. the phrasing and vocal range were wide but not wild but it still showed the "gruff" side of the vocals. :P)
    both songs have very similar structures (example : you stole my HAPPY you made my cry took the lonely and took me for a ride and I wanna Uh-UH-UH-UNDO it.
    He is GOOD so GOOD he treats your little girl like a real man does he is GOOD so GOOD...etc.) it's emphasized to mean to say it's important but somehow I don't really get like HOW or WHY in depths. you know what I mean?
    country music is all about the FEELINg and EMOTION that is COMMUNICATED through the writing.
    good material comes from various co-writers that can REALLY WORK TOGETHER and pull out the best from each other's work. I'm not so sure kara co-writer FOR carrie.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I think Carrie knows she needs to mature as an artist, and she seems to be very self-aware.
    I just can't see Carrie writing a song in the same style as she has before.
    I agree Carrie needs to write with people who bring out the best in her; we've seen Carrie grow tremendously as a writer, and I think she and Kara could come up with something good if CARRIE takes more of the direction in the writing.
    After all, the songs are similar in wording ("He is good, so good", "You Stole my Happy, you made me cry), and it seems as though Carrie may have had a different direction in mind, but she allowed Kara to take the reins.
    We know Carrie is a better writer than that, and her style is NOT a simple as Kara's.
    This is just an idea, but from all we've heard about the writing sessions over the past few years, it seems Carrie can be a strong writer when she has someone to help steer her in a stronger direction than what Kara can give her.

I loved Undo It, even though I think it could've stayed an album track, in favor of a stronger single. I wasn't a fan of Mama's Song at first, but Carrie's vocals/emotion redeem it for me, and I LOVE the softer production.
    Plus the video was so heartfelt, I can't help but have a different view of the song after watching the video.
    I don't think either of these songs are terrible, but we know Carrie can do so much better. I would much rather see her work with someone who recognizes her potential and choses to bring out the best in her.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I loved Undo It, but not so much MS. So she is 1 for 2 in my book. lol I just think Carrie needs to write with more Nashville people like the Oklahoma Wind writers-- as they seem to dislike it when she writes with people like Kara. who knows though.
    Who is this "they" you speak of that don't like Carrie writing with people like Kara? You are assuming that people in Nashville don't like Carrie writing with people like Kara, but Kara has been writing in Nashville more often lately. The country music industry may be very accepting of Kara for all we know.

Quote Originally Posted by carriecountrystar View Post
    I love what mama's song stands for and it's one of my favorite songs but it simply doesn't do justice for someone as talented as carrie.
    undo it is very catchy and sasssy but in my opinion, just didn't have the country root in it if that makes any sense at all... (the underlining theme seems similar to "flat on the floor" which I, personally would have preferred. the phrasing and vocal range were wide but not wild but it still showed the "gruff" side of the vocals. :P)
    both songs have very similar structures (example : you stole my HAPPY you made my cry took the lonely and took me for a ride and I wanna Uh-UH-UH-UNDO it.
    He is GOOD so GOOD he treats your little girl like a real man does he is GOOD so GOOD...etc.) it's emphasized to mean to say it's important but somehow I don't really get like HOW or WHY in depths. you know what I mean?
    country music is all about the FEELINg and EMOTION that is COMMUNICATED through the writing.
    good material comes from various co-writers that can REALLY WORK TOGETHER and pull out the best from each other's work. I'm not so sure kara co-writer FOR carrie.
    Carrie is using her voice in a different way on MS. She doesn't need to sing big power ballads all the time. It is nice to hear her use the softer side of her voice. It shows she is aware of how to use her voice to suit the song. That is an important skill that many singers take a long time to achieve.

I agree with your comments on Undo It. It isn't terribly country sounding to me.

MS is a song, not a novel. The writers don't need to go into great detail in a song. I think that generality of the song allows more listeners to make it personal for them. I'm not sure why some people on here think a good song must answer all their questions, and give loads of details. Again, Carrie is a songwriter, not a novelist.

I agree totally that country is about emotion which is why I love MS so much. Carrie feels those lyrics in a big way. From what Carrie and Kara have both said, the MS writing session was a personal one for both of them. I think it turned out beautifully despite what so many people say around here.

We can't know who are the best co-writers for Carrie. That is a decision for her to make. She seems to enjoy working with Kara, so I'm not sure what the big issue is around here with that. I happen to think that Carrie and Kara do work very well together, and at this point Carrie seems to be very comfortable with Kara. That is a great thing because it means Carrie will be more honest and open in her songwriting. We will see more growth on the next album.

Concert Stars
    Well Undo It is one of my favorite songs... But MS and UI lyrically are probably two of Carrie's most basic songs and repetitive on PO. But lets hope they create some great music!

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    I think Carrie knows she needs to mature as an artist, and she seems to be very self-aware.
    I just can't see Carrie writing a song in the same style as she has before.
    I agree Carrie needs to write with people who bring out the best in her; we've seen Carrie grow tremendously as a writer, and I think she and Kara could come up with something good if CARRIE takes more of the direction in the writing.
    After all, the songs are similar in wording ("He is good, so good", "You Stole my Happy, you made me cry), and it seems as though Carrie may have had a different direction in mind, but she allowed Kara to take the reins.
    We know Carrie is a better writer than that, and her style is NOT a simple as Kara's.
    This is just an idea, but from all we've heard about the writing sessions over the past few years, it seems Carrie can be a strong writer when she has someone to help steer her in a stronger direction than what Kara can give her.

I loved Undo It, even though I think it could've stayed an album track, in favor of a stronger single. I wasn't a fan of Mama's Song at first, but Carrie's vocals/emotion redeem it for me, and I LOVE the softer production.
    Plus the video was so heartfelt, I can't help but have a different view of the song after watching the video.
    I don't think either of these songs are terrible, but we know Carrie can do so much better. I would much rather see her work with someone who recognizes her potential and choses to bring out the best in her.
    First, UI and MS are not similar in wording...that's a big stretch.
    We don't know who led the writing session, or which lines came from which writers. The lines that you have a problem with may have been Carrie's ideas. We have no way of knowing. Carrie takes her music very seriously, so I doubt she would write and record something that wasn't in the direction she wanted. I doubt Kara led her in a totally different direction from what she had intended.
    I think it is an insult to Kara that you, and many others here, call her style simple. Kara makes her living off songwriting. She is good at it, IMO, but I guess that is subjective to some degree.

It is subjective, as well, as to what is better material. I happen to really enjoy MS. I'm not sure what you are expecting in terms of better. To insinuate that Kara is the problem is a bit much. I believe that Kara does recognize Carrie's potential and brings out something different in Carrie just like each other co-writer brings out something different.

Sorry to rant. All the negativity has hit a nerve. We should just be thankful Carrie is writing for the new album regardless of who it is with!

Concert Stars
    Kara seems like a hit or miss sometimes. and she was a miss, lyrically, for both of Carrie's songs. I would prefer if Carrie worked with other writers.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post

Sorry to rant. All the negativity has hit a nerve. We should just be thankful Carrie is writing for the new album regardless of who it is with!
    thank you!

Concert Stars
    the fact that Kara is no longer with Idol and has some angst to work out may actually be a plus.
    I gotta be honest and say I hate the idea all together. But the fact may be that Carrie felt safe and comfortable with Kara in a creative setting. So that would be a good thing to continue to nurture.
    But for those of us who are looking for something completely different and out of the box for Carrie, returning to the Kara Era is a big red flag.
    IT is so hard for me to go down a path of negativity when it comes to Carries choices (they are hers to make), but I am still so convinced that alot of what we are experiencing now with the label has to do with decisions made during the PO era. And I just don't want to go back there.
    I think alot of us were looking for a real grassroots effort by Carrie. Something that was fresh and traditional at the same time.
    I just don't think Kara has that sensibility.
    I wish to suspend my disappointment in this announcement till we hear more about it.
    But I will be honest and say I am not thrilled to be going back down the yellow brick road with Kara.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast