• 1 Post By jeff
  • 1 Post By carebear4eva
  • 2 Post By Daraebe
  • 1 Post By kewlie78189

Thread: Crazy Night Tonight.

wb1
    Concert Stars

Crazy Night Tonight.

It's been quite a while since I posted here, so hello, I hope everything's been good for you, and I hope that you're having a great holiday season, to everyone on here and especially to those that I know personally. Tonight was quite exciting as two my most favorite things in the world crossed paths for the first time, at least as far as I know. While watching UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships) 153, or as some of you may recognize as cage fighting, (by the way, in my eyes, the greatest sport on earth), tonight at Buffalo Wild Wings, the camera moved around the audience, as it usually does, showing many of the other fighters who're there as spectators, as well as other celebrities. Luckily, during the minute that the fighters get between rounds, as I was putting a nice Honey BBQ Boneless Wing smothered in Ranch dressing into my mouth, I happened to look up at the screen and couldn't believe my eyes. As you all must know by now, especially since I'm writing this on here, the person waving to the camera pointed in her face was none other than Carrie. She was seated in the second row from the cage beside her hubby Mike, and right behind a famous former Light Heavyweight World Champion fighter from Brazil named Lyoto Machida. I'm sure that she was there because of Mike, but I'm hoping that she enjoyed herself enough to accompany him again someday. I do need to tell you though, that if she's at all squeamish at the sight of blood, that's not going to happen. The final two fights of the night were probably in the top 10 most gruesome that I've ever seen. The second to last had one of the guy's cut so bad that blood was not only running all over the place, but I heard in the post fight scrum, that some of it even got on someone outside of the ring. The World Heavyweight Championship was the main event, which went a grueling (5) five minute rounds. Those two guys fought their hearts out, and the American, Cain Velasquez, regained his belt from the guy he lost it to just 13 months ago. Although I can watch MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) fights 24 hours a day, I must admit that seeing Carrie in audience during the show, made this fight night one that I'll definitely never forget. I'll be excited to hear her take on the experience and whether she'll be attending any more of them in the future. Carrie Underwood a fight fan..... who knows???

See Video Here:
    http://www.waydesville.com/CarrieUFC.m4v
    Last edited by wb1; 12-30-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Added Video Clip

Concert Stars
    Mike gets to come out of the house & away from that cat. I never watch the sport, but it's nice you got to see your 2 faves at the same time.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    What a nice surprise for you!! It's always a treat to see Carrie anywhere, but more fun to see her at something like this!

Thanks for sharing!
    Ann055 likes this.

wb1
    Concert Stars
    Bumping To Show New Video.

Concert Stars
    Look how adorable and grown up your little Carrie is now!!!
    mbh, Ann055, Daraebe and 1 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I'm glad you got to see Carrie, however the UFC is more barbarism than a sport. Here is what I posted about my strong feelings toward fighting "sports".

"That's actually a bit disappointing, that Carrie and Mike like the UFC. I dislike fighting "sports". I don't find any entertainment value in a sport where the point is to beat the crap out of the other person. It's an "enlightened" societies answer to gladiators, especially the UFC. A "civilized" form of barbarism. Think about it. When you go to a boxing match or UFC fight and cheer on one of the fighters you are really cheering for the person to intentionally inflict physical damage on another human being. It's a blood sport removed only in degree from cock, dog and bull fighting. Sure, those involve non-sentient beings who have no choice and are to the death, but the intent is still the same...intentional infliction of physical harm as entertainment."

If you can watch this and enjoy it, not only do I not understand you, but the idea of it turns my stomach. The fight starts at 1:09

underwoodfanfrance likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower Patkid26's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    I'm glad you got to see Carrie, however the UFC is more barbarism than a sport. Here is what I posted about my strong feelings toward fighting "sports".

"That's actually a bit disappointing, that Carrie and Mike like the UFC. I dislike fighting "sports". I don't find any entertainment value in a sport where the point is to beat the crap out of the other person. It's an "enlightened" societies answer to gladiators, especially the UFC. A "civilized" form of barbarism. Think about it. When you go to a boxing match or UFC fight and cheer on one of the fighters you are really cheering for the person to intentionally inflict physical damage on another human being. It's a blood sport removed only in degree from cock, dog and bull fighting. Sure, those involve non-sentient beings who have no choice and are to the death, but the intent is still the same...intentional infliction of physical harm as entertainment."

If you can watch this and enjoy it, not only do I not understand you, but the idea of it turns my stomach. The fight starts at 1:09

Hmmm, idk about UFC being barbarism. I have wrestled my entire life, a sport extremely similar to UFC, and I don't think it's necessarily fair to compare either to cock, dog, and bull fighting. Anyone who wrestles or does UFC does it by choice and knows exactly what they are getting in to. As my coaches always tell us, it's a sport that requires a lot of mental and physical toughness. And let's be honest, every sport has some violence to an extent. Look at the sport Carrie's own husband plays. Hockey isn't exactly nonviolent lol.

Sorry, just wanted to throw my two cents in.

Concert Stars
    Awwww, she put her head on his shoulder.....Saw Mark too!!
    Ann055 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Patkid26 View Post
    Hmmm, idk about UFC being barbarism. I have wrestled my entire life, a sport extremely similar to UFC, and I don't think it's necessarily fair to compare either to cock, dog, and bull fighting. Anyone who wrestles or does UFC does it by choice and knows exactly what they are getting in to. As my coaches always tell us, it's a sport that requires a lot of mental and physical toughness. And let's be honest, every sport has some violence to an extent. Look at the sport Carrie's own husband plays. Hockey isn't exactly nonviolent lol.

Sorry, just wanted to throw my two cents in.
    It's not the violence, it's the intent. Even in hockey the focus is on scoring, not on intentionally beating up someone to win. In fact, in all other sports intending physical harm is at least a penalty, if not ejection from the game, suspension and fines. The NHL has put in new rules to reduce fights, including the bench clearing penalties. Look what happened to the Saints, they were fined and the head coach was suspended. I would argue that wrestling is not on the same level as either the UFC or boxing. Wrestling is about moves, advantage and pins. You are not trying to beat your opponent unconscious or physically injure him to the point he can't continue the fight. Did you watch the video of the UFC match? You tell me, is that the same as wrestling?

Why do people want to watch cock, dog or bull fights, because they want to see one animal or in the case bull fighting a person inflict pain and physical damage on another animal. As I said in my post the animals are not sentient, are being forced to participate and the fight to the death so in that regard they are different than UFC or boxing. But the intent and the entertainment value is the same. Those who enjoy UFC and boxing are in essence enjoying the infliction of pain and damage by one person to another. Physical injury is not a side effect of these sports, it's the point.

The most common injuries in UFC fighting are

lacerations - got have the blood (interestingly one of the rule changes forced upon the UFC was to ban sticking your finger in your opponents cuts to inflict more pain.)
    concussion as a result of enough damage to the brain to render a person unconscious
    Torn ligaments
    broken bones
    herniated disks

All these injuries are the result of intentional inflection. They are not side effects or risks that are tangential to the goal of the sport. They are the "sport"

I will give the UFC credit though, it is not the leader in the most severe and crippling injury.

That award goes to boxing. Getting hit in the head by a professional boxer is the equivalent of getting hit by a 12 lb wooden mallet travelling 20 mph. Most professional boxing matches are not decided on points, but by knockouts or TKOs To see the effect of these beatings all you have to do is watch an interview with a young Muhammad Ali and then the ones later in his life. He suffers from pugilistic brain syndrome, leading to Parkinson's

Concert Stars
    awesome! Tx so much for posting! Love the video! I wish you would post more! We miss you here!
    Ann055 likes this.

wb1
    Concert Stars
    OK Schrodinger we hear you, but I personally don't give a rats ... what you think about MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). I, and millions of others, (mostly men) love it. Had it been a sport when I was growing up, it would've been my sport of choice. Although many women like to both watch and compete in it, (my favorite fighter is actually Ronda Rousey, a woman), it's really a man's sport. As long as the people competing in it are doing it of their own free will, there's no comparison to any other types of fighting that you mentioned. In fact, it's quite imperceptive of you to even mention them in the same breath. If you don't have a Y chromosome, you'll never understand it, so I won't even try. I'd bet money that many of the men in your family, if not all, like it too. It's the fastest growing sport in the world for a reason. I'm just glad to see Carrie was there and I'm anxious to hear what she thought of it.

Concert Stars
    Actually I do have a Y chromosome, and I do not appreciate your gender stereotyping. You could have at least employed some basic reasoning skills and checked my profile before assuming that I must be a women or I'd understand. That attitude is insulting to both men and women. Most of my guy friends find it just as repulsive, including all three of my sons-in-law. I am also quite confident that there are hundreds of thousands of men who look at this the same way I do. Your machismo belongs in the 19th century and your pejorative attitude is quite funny in light of the recent decision by the Untied States Marine Corps to cut ties with the UFC.

Out of the Octagon: Corps cuts ties to UFC - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times

Here's one quote from the article

He said the hate and brutality some UFC fighters show isn’t something the Marine Corps needs to be tied to, even if it is for entertainment value.
    “There’s a standard of decency of people on teams of sports that starts in junior high school and there’s a reason for it,” he said. “You learn this is a team and we respect our teammates and our opponents.”
    Apparently the USMC is made up of sissy women.

just another fan

do we really need a discussion on the merits or lack thereof of something that isn't related to Carrie's career in a thread in the main forum?
    Daraebe likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    do we really need a discussion on the merits or lack thereof of something that isn't related to Carrie's career in a thread in the main forum?
    Good point. Since this discussion is part of a Carrie sighting and part of tweets about Carrie I think moving the thread to the Sightings forum makes sense.

I already voiced my support for Schrodinger in the other thread, so I'm not gonna go over that again. And I'm sorry, Jeff, for dragging this on, but...

Quote Originally Posted by wb1 View Post
    OK Schrodinger we hear you, but I personally don't give a rats ... what you think about MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). I, and millions of others, (mostly men) love it. Had it been a sport when I was growing up, it would've been my sport of choice. Although many women like to both watch and compete in it, (my favorite fighter is actually Ronda Rousey, a woman), it's really a man's sport. As long as the people competing in it are doing it of their own free will, there's no comparison to any other types of fighting that you mentioned. In fact, it's quite imperceptive of you to even mention them in the same breath. If you don't have a Y chromosome, you'll never understand it, so I won't even try. I'd bet money that many of the men in your family, if not all, like it too. It's the fastest growing sport in the world for a reason. I'm just glad to see Carrie was there and I'm anxious to hear what she thought of it.
    How absolutely pathetic. Disappointing, disgusting, dismal, distasteful, disagreeable, repulsive, revolting, repugnant, silly, stupid, backward, uncivilized, unwelcome, unintelligent, and above all, offensive.

"If you don't have a Y chromosome, you'll never understand it"

Allow me to rephrase.

"If you're not a man like me, your pretty feminine brain will never comprehend the glory of the manliness of pummelling each other".

Schrodinger definitely seems to feel very strongly about this issue, but your post was an utter, utter disgrace. Quite bluntly you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Oh, and just to poke holes at your ridiculously stupid logic. "Fastest growing" is always the stupidest statistic to quote, and I say that as a Math major. The fastest growing specimen typically holds that position, NOT because of merit, but because its size is JUST THAT SMALL. Quite simply : the fastest growing religion is not Islam, not Christianity, not Hinduism, none of the ones you'd guess. It's Wicca. Also known as witchcraft. When there are only a few hundred thousand people following something, it's very easy to quote a large growth rate.

The second fastest growing religion is voodoo.

Even if this holds the position of the fastest growing sport, I assure you it's not because it's LYK JUST DAT FABULOUS, but because it's only to easy to double a small population size.

And I will leave it with that unless directly responded to or unduly provoked.

EDIT: And for what it's worth - and it clearly is worth a LOT to you - I'm a proud Y chromosome owner myself, even if the chromosome is all pink and decorated with rainbows.
    Schrodinger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wb1 View Post

Just put people on ignore if post bother you. I use it frequently I watched the fight along with my some family members and I am female and I don't feel bad about it at all nor do I get disappointed in others for enjoying what they like to watch. I suspect Carrie was there supporting Mike at a event that he enjoys. Everyone is not going to enjoy the same things but I don't get disappointed in others if they do enjoy them.
    liz278 and Ann055 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraebe View Post
    Just put people on ignore if post bother you. I use it frequently I watched the fight along with my some family members and I am female and I don't feel bad about it at all nor do I get disappointed in others for enjoying what they like to watch. I suspect Carrie was there supporting Mike at a event that he enjoys. Everyone is not going to enjoy the same things but I don't get disappointed in others if they do enjoy them.
    Wait, but you don't have a Y chromosome...Does this mean women can enjoy the same things men can? Woah!

Lol, honestly, I don't have *THAT* big an issue with UFC, I just don't find it very appealing, rather crude and a little exploitative. But that's just me.

That post, however...

Concert Stars
    Wow thanks for posting this!
    Ann055 likes this.

•