Concert Stars

Carrie allusion in 2005 episode of Doctor Who?

I've been watching the 2005 season (the "1st" of the 2000's era show) of Doctor Who on DVD, and saw what *could* be one of the first Carrie references in popular culture after her AI win. (please let me know if this was talked about 6 years ago...)

In the episode called "Bad Wolf", the central protagonists are mysteriously taken hostage and each placed in a futuristic bizarre world that resembles 2005 era British reality television programs. One character (a guy) ends up in a bizarre version of the British What Not to Wear, where two robots complain over the guys look (because he wearing a white T-shirt and jeans which to the robots is sooo 20th century denim) and they make the statement that they have to find him new colors, and "get rid of the that Oklahoma Farm-boy thing you've got going on"

Now there is no clear mention of Carrie here, but we all know that throughout AI that year Carrie was known as "Farm Girl" by Seacrest, and this particular Doctor Who episode aired 2 1/2 weeks after Carrie was named the American Idol...
    Last edited by mlawlor; 07-02-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Good catch. No I don't remember any discussion on this. I just went back and checked the scene you are talking about. Since the reality/game show scenes they did were for something like Extreme Makeover and Weakest Link, you wouldn't be looking for a Carrie reference. And if you blink you'd miss this one.

Concert Stars
    very good catch!

•