Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One Republic's Ryan Tedder writing for Carrie

How do your songwriting offers arrive?

Funnily enough, they come either through running into somebody or through my
    management. But sometimes I’ll randomly get an email from an artist, and I’ll
    think “Whoa! I didn’t even know they had my email address!” But Florence
    (Welch) of Florence + The Machine started reaching out to me about a year ago
    through a mixing engineer, who said “She’s a massive fan of yours, and you’re
    one of the only collaborators she wants to work with.” We’re still trying to
    book a session. And then there’s the Canadian artist LIGHTS — I actually
    tracked her down, because she had this song called “Face Up” and I just became
    obsessed with it. And I ended up with Common in the studio, working with Colbie
    Caillat, But then Common and I really connected, and now I’m working on his new
    record. And in the last two months, I did a song on Beyonce’s new album,
    a handful of Carrie Underwood songs,
    a Rascal Flatts song, and
    then went into the studio with B.o.B. for a week. And I just did the music for
    Gucci — a super-electro/ambient track for their new campaign that you wouldn’t
    think I had anything to do with. I’m hopscotching genres, and that’s my
    favorite way to do it. And now I’m definitely trying to get in with Paul
    McCartney. That’s my ultimate goal in collaboration — McCartney.

I know Carrie said previously that this album may have more of a 'twang', but could this mean some tracks on album 4 may be a little more on the pop side?

Some of Ryan's most famous tracks are all more 'poppy' (& dare I say it, a little R&B?) like Apologize, Jordin Sparks 'Battlefield', Beyonce's 'Halo' & Leona Lewis' 'Bleeding Love' to name a few.

Obviously, I'm sure Ryan will have taken into account Carrie's style & i'm she won't record anything that she thinks may be too far away from her country roots at this stage.

One Republic

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    when did carrie say she'd have more twang? not that i mind, just curious.
    becca T

i'm OK with any of them writing, just pick the best songs carrie

Concert Stars
    yeah, I dont think she has stated anything about "twang"....I wonder if she wrote some songs with him too, not just him writing for her.

Although he has had a few issues...Kelly clarkson Already Gone nad Beyonces Halo...he is a really great writer/composer. Both of those songs are excellent imo

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    when did carrie say she'd have more twang? not that i mind, just curious.
    becca T
    That's a great question! The more I think about it, I think I was thinking about Carrie talking about the more 'folky' songs she's already looking at in the Billboard Country Music Summit interview.
    Sorry, I must be getting my Country terminology crossed! haha.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Cool! To be honest though, I'm not a big fan of Ryan as a country writer. Like Kara Diogaurdi, he's great at writing catchy pop songs, but the style doesn't fit in country music, IMO. Of course I'll hold off judgement until we actually hear the song, if we do.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Twangy--to me means country. I don't care who she co-writes with--I just want great songs. fantastic album, Carrie happy and ------------------sit back and enjoy her new music this winter and Spring. I can't wait.

Concert Stars
    Great more pop songwriters... Maybe Max Martin will let her record one of the songs he wrote for Britney back in the day lol...

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by tcnole1 View Post
    Great more pop songwriters... Maybe Max Martin will let her record one of the songs he wrote for Britney back in the day lol...
    Please Carrie, no more Max Martin!!

Concert Stars
    I loved Quitter though. It sounded more country then even Undo It, if you want to be honest. lol

I really like Ryan Tedder and I hope one of his songs makes the album this time! He is a phenominal writer.

Not crazy about the Ryan Tedder involvement.....and the Kara involvement for that matter lol. I still think there are better songwriters that Carrie can work with who are country songwriters. But I haven't even heard any of the songs lol, so it's too early to get annoyed at Ryan Tedder lol. For all I know Tedder has just written than most poignant, the most beautiful country song ever and I'll be ashamed I ever doubted him lol. I'm just excited for this next album. I have faith that Carrie will choose the best group of songs that are fit for her vision of what the album should be.

just another fan

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Not crazy about the Ryan Tedder involvement.....and the Kara involvement for that matter lol. I still think there are better songwriters that Carrie can work with who are country songwriters. But I haven't even heard any of the songs lol, so it's too early to get annoyed at Ryan Tedder lol. For all I know Tedder has just written than most poignant, the most beautiful country song ever and I'll be ashamed I ever doubted him lol. I'm just excited for this next album. I have faith that Carrie will choose the best group of songs that are fit for her vision of what the album should be.
    there probably are better songwriters out there, country or not. i'm just not that impressed reading some of Tedder's comments in the past. he seems to be a fad chaser and more interested in churning out songs by top name singers in numbers than anything else. but then, he does have ties with carrie (i believe he is a cousin of SOS), so its natural there's some collaboration

but, there'll probably be dozens of names that will be associated with carrie in the lead up to the album, and only a handful will have something that makes the album... so i'll just not think too much of all these collaborations

In my opinion, I honestly don't care who writes with/for Carrie...it's still country music - wonderful music - to me.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    You have to remember that Carrie is probably writing with a TON of people. however, Kara and Ryan are known names so obviously we will hear that carrie is writing with them. normal songwriters arent gonna be in the news about writing with carrie.
    becca T

Concert Stars
    oh songs by him are bound to be fantastic..cant wait!

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I loved Quitter though. It sounded more country then even Undo It, if you want to be honest. lol

I really like Ryan Tedder and I hope one of his songs makes the album this time! He is a phenominal writer.
    I agree, Tee, lol. Quitter sounds far more country than Undo It. I think it's the fact that Max Martin was behind the song that throws people off seeing as he is a pop writer/producer.

As others have said, we will likely get many names of songwriters that have worked with Carrie in the months leading up to the album, but it doesn't mean the songs will all make the cut. We may never hear these tracks, just like we never heard that song she co-wrote with Neyo while she was working on Play On. I'm sure Carrie is just testing the waters with these different writers so that she can find the best material. As long as we get an awesome album, I'm happy .

Ty
    She worked w/ Ryan for Play On, too. None of those co-writes made that album, obv. So, it's not like his songs are guaranteed to make the cut or anything.

I personally don't care for him. But, I'm all for Carrie exploring her options.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    She worked w/ Ryan for Play On, too. None of those co-writes made that album, obv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    So, it's not like his songs are guaranteed to make the cut or anything.

I personally don't care for him. But, I'm all for Carrie exploring her options.
    Do we know which songs he co-wrote for the PO era?

Ty
    Yeah. They were titled 'Where Do We Go From Here' & 'This Dance'. Both written by Carrie, Ryan, and Zac Maloy.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I don't really care who Carrie writes with----------it could be someone who writes Rap, Hip Hop, Blues, Classical, etc....--who knows the most beautiful song could come out of it and be her greatest hit. I believe we must trust Carrie in all this. She has not let us down so far---she knows what she is doing---and I think we will be pleased with what she brings us. I am not worried about that part of it---I just NEED new music this Fall for sure.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast