Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Carrie Guru

K102 Minnesota interview with Martina McBride (Carrie mention)

The interview is with Martina but the DJ's briefly mention Girl's Night Out about 2 minutes into the interview. Listen for Martina's answer to who the biggest diva is. lol! (and no it's not Carrie)

04/25/11 - Martina McBride - Today's Country & Your All-Time Favorites 102.1 K102

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Since Martina already gave Carrie huge kudos for her GNO performance, I'm OK with the fact that she considers Blake to be the Diva.

Concert Stars
    I'd have to watch the show again, but I seem to recall that Martina was the only woman on the show that night that didn't congratulate all the other women. Is it true or am I missing something, something just doesn't come off as right.

The link didnt work for me.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    I'd have to watch the show again, but I seem to recall that Martina was the only woman on the show that night that didn't congratulate all the other women. Is it true or am I missing something, something just doesn't come off as right.
    Reba, Jennifer, Miranda and Carrie all explicitly mentioned the other honorees in their acceptance speech. Martina did not specifically mention them. But she did thank the academy for including her in "this special night", which could imply her inclusion with the other honorees. And there was no acceptance speech from the Judds.

Concert Stars
    haha blake nice!

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    In my opinion, listening to this interview, it seems to me that Martina was not too happy that the interviewer praise Carrie about that night. JMO.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirasa45A View Post
    In my opinion, listening to this interview, it seems to me that Martina was not too happy that the interviewer praise Carrie about that night. JMO.

To me there has always been a chill from Martina towards Carrie. I think you can see it in Carrie as well. Her previously announced favorite just didn't hold up to scrutiny. All IN MY OPINION!

Concert Stars
    Its been really hard for Martina to accept that she isnt the best vocalist in country music anymore..... Its really sad to see because i think Martina has really let Carrie down bigtime... Thank God for Brad and Vince and Randy and Reba and Lorretta who seem to be real down to earth people that Carrie has formed great bonds with!!! Martina is only hurting herself IMHO!!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    yea, i kinda agree. I'll always love Martina and still think shes a great person and singer but it is just so surprising that Martina and Carrie didn't end up really bonding and becoming friends considering carrie sang so many of her songs on idol and called Martina her favorite singer. Their awkwardness has always stood out to me like a sore thumb. HOWEVER, when carrie walked up to the stage Martina was really smiling at her, and Martina did seem to mean it when she said carrie's performance was "unbelievable" in this interview.
    becca T

Huge Carrie Follower carriefan2000's Avatar
    well, when the day comes that Carrie is not the best voice in country or the most popular, we will see how Carrie reacts. Its difficult to be so chummy with someone when that person took your spot or sang your own songs better ,and have more success that you ever did or will.

its hard, and she's human. Martina does not hate Carrie, but she is human. Carrie probably also feels the awkwardness of taking Miranda's spot. Guys like brad, keith, are men who are not in direct competition with Carrie and can use her in duets and stuff. Miranda is her contemporary so its not as much jealousy.

Ty
    I've seen a lot of Martina's interviews and she always comes across kinda cold and uninterested. IDK. She just never sounds all that excited regarding anything, to be honest. I guess it's just the way she is.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Yeah I found the whole interview awkward.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefan2000 View Post
    well, when the day comes that Carrie is not the best voice in country or the most popular, we will see how Carrie reacts. Its difficult to be so chummy with someone when that person took your spot or sang your own songs better ,and have more success that you ever did or will.

its hard, and she's human. Martina does not hate Carrie, but she is human. Carrie probably also feels the awkwardness of taking Miranda's spot. Guys like brad, keith, are men who are not in direct competition with Carrie and can use her in duets and stuff. Miranda is her contemporary so its not as much jealousy.
    I dont think Carrie will act that way because it is not her nature. Look at what's happening nowadays, Carrie has been snubbed and ignored by her own label and industry in favor of some artists but she never said or showed any anger or jealousy. She instead was happy for them for being nominated or won though it must hurt inside. Carrie had said before that nobody will stay on top at all times so she would enjoy every moment that she still is. But she just continues to work hard and does things she loves. Carrie has always been humble and never take things for granted. She knows there a few people in country music industry who still dont accept her. I remembered somebody mentioned that at CMA 2006 , Sony wanted a spot for Carrie to debut her newest single JTTW but I think the CMA refused . I think Sony insisted and she was given a 2 min. slot on theshow at the last minute and that's why she did not sing the whole song that night. At that moment the people were amazed that this reality show winner was truly a great a vocalist and that was the beginning of her amazing success. She turns to her faith and family when life gets tough and she seemed to bounce back nicely.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by 12russ79 View Post
    Its been really hard for Martina to accept that she isnt the best vocalist in country music anymore..... Its really sad to see because i think Martina has really let Carrie down bigtime... Thank God for Brad and Vince and Randy and Reba and Lorretta who seem to be real down to earth people that Carrie has formed great bonds with!!! Martina is only hurting herself IMHO!!!
    I agree with you russ and I think it is sad because Carrie did state that her favorite artist was Martina and she also said she would not have had so many songs to pick from if not for Martina's songs. I did not know who Martina was before Carrie said that on Idol--then I went to the internet and checked on her and started liking her voice. I have noticed the chill also and wish it were not so. I think there is a lot of jealousy and envy in Nashville that no one talks about. Sad.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
    I dont think Carrie will act that way because it is not her nature. Look at what's happening nowadays, Carrie has been snubbed and ignored by her own label and industry in favor of some artists but she never said or showed any anger or jealousy. She instead was happy for them for being nominated or won though it must hurt inside. Carrie had said before that nobody will stay on top at all times so she would enjoy every moment that she still is. But she just continues to work hard and does things she loves. Carrie has always been humble and never take things for granted. She knows there a few people in country music industry who still dont accept her. I remembered somebody mentioned that at CMA 2006 , Sony wanted a spot for Carrie to debut her newest single JTTW but I think the CMA refused . I think Sony insisted and she was given a 2 min. slot on theshow at the last minute and that's why she did not sing the whole song that night. At that moment the people were amazed that this reality show winner was truly a great a vocalist and that was the beginning of her amazing success. She turns to her faith and family when life gets tough and she seemed to bounce back nicely.
    Thanks thats a great post!!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    When Carrie sang Independence Day on Idol I don't think she sang it better than Martina nor when she sang When God Fearing Women Get Blues. However now I feel she has become a better vocalist. Carrie kinda took Martina's place as "The Vocalist" so to speak. Thing is Carrie does it all. She's a powerhouse singer who also has some amazing entertaining skills. Martina is an AWESOME entertainer as well. Anyone who goes to her shows can tell you as much. However, she just failed to stay relevant with her music. I think that's what has plagued Martina for years. It was always a little upsetting to me Martina didn't reach out to Carrie more. She was my favorite country singer before Carrie, always has been. She was the one I was rooting for at awards shows before Carrie came along. It's interesting to me the one time they show Martina through Carrie's performance she was smiling and then realized the camera was on her, stopped smiling and was the only one around who didn't clap. I know I'm paying too much attention and maybe I'm seeing things that are not there. It's hard for me not to pay attention to Martina and how she acts towards Carrie since she was/still is one of my favorite singers.
    Well what I've always thought and felt that Faith got the attention for her inappropriate reaction to Carrie's CMA FVOTY win but in that instance at that award show Martina was also passed by Carrie and we've seen her 'reaction' since that time. IMO at that awards show and since then, Carrie has FAR and AWAY surpassed anything either Faith or Martina has done for country music and music in general. Look at all the special events and places that Carrie has gotten to perform and she's represented both herself and the country music genre magnificently. Carrie is a very talented and gifted artist and she's only getting better and better as time goes on and with her talent she also, as Vince said in the piece for the GNO special, has the Cinderella story as the backdrop. In the end, its Carrie's talent and while Martina 'coldly' praises it I've never felt it was sincere not like how it is with Reba or even Wynonna has seemed to really come to appreciate Carrie's talents!

I guess the bottom line is, Carrie is a once in a lifetime vocalist and artist. I'm just glad that I'm around to witness it, experience it and enjoy it!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    Well what I've always thought and felt that Faith got the attention for her inappropriate reaction to Carrie's CMA FVOTY win but in that instance at that award show Martina was also passed by Carrie and we've seen her 'reaction' since that time. IMO at that awards show and since then, Carrie has FAR and AWAY surpassed anything either Faith or Martina has done for country music and music in general. Look at all the special events and places that Carrie has gotten to perform and she's represented both herself and the country music genre magnificently. Carrie is a very talented and gifted artist and she's only getting better and better as time goes on and with her talent she also, as Vince said in the piece for the GNO special, has the Cinderella story as the backdrop. In the end, its Carrie's talent and while Martina 'coldly' praises it I've never felt it was sincere not like how it is with Reba or even Wynonna has seemed to really come to appreciate Carrie's talents!

I guess the bottom line is, Carrie is a once in a lifetime vocalist and artist. I'm just glad that I'm around to witness it, experience it and enjoy it!
    I totally agree with you DaisyTweets. I feel the same way. It's too bad that Martina let her emotions get in the way of appreciating Carrie's talents. I hope she realized that she gained some fans because of Carrie. I only found out about her thru Carrie on Idol and liked her voice also. Lots of people in Nashville are just ignoring the facts or maybe not aware how Carrie brought lots of people to country music and country artists being recognized more thru her. She is a force in country music; a force that they could not contained no matter how they snubbed or ignored her. I am also so glad I am seeing it all and enjoying every moment of her shining moment.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    I think everyone is reading too much in this. First off, during Carrie's portion of GNO, I can see what Martina is doing on many occasions (though several are from the back). The first is when Carrie is called up to the stage by Vince. To the right of Carrie you clearly see Martina clapping and smiling. At the end of the first verse and chorus of HGTA, Martina is clearly clapping. When they show Martina shortly before the ovasion started, Martina is clearly smiling. Then the smile faded a little. But that means nothing. People smiling at moments. Martina saw or heard something that made her smile. The director sees Martina smiling and switches the camera to Martina. But at that point, the moment is over and so the smile reduces. When the standing ovation starts, I clearly see Martina (from the back) clapping in what I would call an enthusiastic way. You next see Martina during Carrie's long note. At this point, she was not clapping. But for the most part, everyone had stopped clapping. They never showed an angle where you could see Martina after Carrie finished. And as a side note, you can't read anything into the fact that Jennifer, Miranda and the Judds were shown much more than Martina. It appears that the camera was down at that end. So Martina was a good distance away from the camera. For the same reason, Reba was never shown in close up during Carrie's portion of the show despite the fact that I am sure Reba was applauding Carrie as much as anyone. But Reba was even further away from the camera position.

As to the interview, I don't think Martina's response to the statement about Carrie's performance has anything to do with Carrie personally. This interview, like any interview, is a way for the artist to promote themselves. So I think she may have been a bit annoyed with the DJ was shifting the focus to another artist. Some artist don't mind this. Some do.

I think it's just Martina's personality. Just like others have said of Carrie (she's shy, not as friendly). I just think the same probably holds true about Martina.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast