Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By jaymiee
  • 1 Post By countrymusicfan15
  • 3 Post By MelissaD
  • 1 Post By Hil
  • 4 Post By PRGuy79
  • 2 Post By rainbow1

Thread: Carrie’s Most Underrated Songs (Per Album)

Huge Carrie Follower FanSince04's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Carrie’s Most Underrated Songs (Per Album)

I’ve been listening to the Play On album a lot lately. I have to say “Someday When I Stop Loving You”, “Change”, and “What Can I Say” ate two beautiful songs not often recognized!

Carnival Ride has “Twisted” and “Wheel of the World”!

Some Hearts has “The Night Before Life Goes On”!

Blown Away has “Good in Goodbye”!

Storyteller has “Relapse”!

Cry Pretty has “Spinning Bottles”!

Huge Carrie Follower sweetsugarcandyman's Avatar
    Someday when I stop loving you is one of my very top favs. The live version from the Play On Tour is incredibly powerful.

Play on is a bit on an underrated album. Too many good songs as album tracks, mediocre songs as singles.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Some Hearts - We're Young And Beautiful
    Carnival Ride - I Know You Won't
    Play On - Songs Like This
    Blown Away - Cupid's Got A Shotgun
    Storyteller - Choctaw County Affair
    Cry Pretty - Kingdom

It's hard to pick since they are great in their own ways.

Some Hearts -I Ain't In Choctaw anymore
    Carnival Ride - I Know You Won't
    Play On - What Can I Say
    Blown Away - Good In Goodbye
    Storyteller - Smoke Break
    Cry Pretty - Kingdom

Concert Stars
    So many good ones being named! I didn’t mention “I Know You Won’t”, “Choctaw County Affair”, and “Songs Like This” because she’s played live so many times, on award shows, and they aren’t as obscure (IMO) as others.

Kingdom is such a beautiful song!

SH - "The Night Before (Life Goes On)" and "We're Young and Beautiful"
    CR - "The More Boys I Meet" (I think satirical singing is something that not many female singers in the genre can pull off successfully, and some might find the main line obnoxious and bad writing, I think Carrie's vocal here is able to convey the amusement of the situation quite well)
    PO - "This Time" and "Quitter" (I find the instrumentation of these two songs very interesting and layered, and I always listen to these songs for the production more than for the vocal or lyrics, although I love how understated her delivery is here)
    BA - "Forever Changed"
    ST - "The Girl You Think I Am"
    CP - I'm not sure if we can make that call yet. Also because I think this might be the first album where almost all songs are being talked about and loved by fans.

Concert Stars
    Some Hearts: The Night Before
    Carnival Ride: Twisted. Personally I don’t think I Know You Won’t is under rated because she has performed it live fairly often.
    Play On: SWISLY and Look At Me.
    Blown Away: I don’t think any of the songs are underrated. Forever Changed can be hard to listen to for those of us who have witnessed someone we love suffer from Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s or other types of diseases that affects everything. If I remember correctly, Carrie stated that she didn’t think she could sing it live.
    Storyteller: Relapse.
    Cry Pretty: Too early to tell.

Storyteller- CCA shoulda been a single and a awesome music video, Chaser, and Relapse.
    I'll go out in a limb for CP and say Ghosts and That Song as I dont think either of these will be a single which is very disappointing...hopefully I wont have to add DA or Low to this list..they better be singles or at least performed CMAs or grammys
    txacar likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Some Hearts- Lessons Learned and The Night Before (Life Goes On). I’d say DFTRM too! Because it kinda got overshadowed by both JTTW and BHC. I can’t even tell you the last time I heard it on the radio.

Carnival Ride- Wheel Of The World, The More Boys I Meet

Play On- This Time, Quitter, Someday When I Stop Loving You, Songs Like This. I wish all four would have been singles!

Blown Away- Do You Think About Me, Who Are You

Storyteller- Chaser

Cry Pretty- Ghosts On The Stereo
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Concert Stars
    I’ve seen many different people mentioning it’s too late to say whether CP has underrated songs. I’d beg to differ...

Backsliding is so catchy and fresh!
    Spinning Bottles a sad, beautiful vocal!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Some Hearts: Lessons Learned, The Night Before (Life Goes On), Whenever You Remember

Carnival Ride: Get Out of This Town. Um, Wheel of the World I guess. & I think Sometimes You Leave was underrated for the fact that it didn't make the actual album cut.

Play On: Change, What Can I Say, Unapologize

Blown Away: Leave Love Alone, Who Are You

Storyteller: Chaser and Mexico.

Cry Pretty: That Song That We Used To Make Love To, Backsliding

Insane Carrie Fan
    I Know You Won't is one of her most universally acclaimed songs, raved about not only by fans but even non-fans that previously never heard of or took notice of her before. I remember it got an insane reception after she performed it at the People's Choice Awards, and people even on other fan boards were posting it. It got so much attention for a non-single, has been covered multiple times on TV singing competitions, about a million times on YouTube by people all over the world, and even by major recording acts such as Kelly Clarkson, Rascal Flatts, and some R&B guy whose name is escaping me at the moment. Furthermore, she has incorporated it in the set list of literally every tour she's done since Carnival Ride. It definitely got and continues to get its due. The song has received more attention than many of her actual singles.
    DizzyDollyDee, mbh and rainbow1 like this.

Hil
    Some Hearts: Starts With Goodbye

Carnival Ride: Crazy Dreams

Play On: Someday When I Stop Loving You/What Can I Say

Blown Away: Wine After Whiskey

Storyteller: Choctaw County Affair

Cry Pretty: That Song That We Used To Make Love To
    hjj likes this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    "Who Are You" - Blown Away album.

Huge Carrie Follower sweetsugarcandyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    I Know You Won't is one of her most universally acclaimed songs, raved about not only by fans but even non-fans that previously never heard of or took notice of her before. I remember it got an insane reception after she performed it at the People's Choice Awards, and people even on other fan boards were posting it. It got so much attention for a non-single, has been covered multiple times on TV singing competitions, about a million times on YouTube by people all over the world, and even by major recording acts such as Kelly Clarkson, Rascal Flatts, and some R&B guy whose name is escaping me at the moment. Furthermore, she has incorporated it in the set list of literally every tour she's done since Carnival Ride. It definitely got and continues to get its due. The song has received more attention than many of her actual singles.
    Always found it odd that it was never released as single 6. I love that similar to FOTF she clearly loves it and it pops up again and again.

Mine are flat on the floor, I ain’t in Chectoah anymore and someday when I stop loving you.

From CP is hard because I think most have a lot of love. My favourite is backsliding but underrated is Kingdom. It’s such a sweet song that makes me smile.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Some Hearts: Starts With Goodbye and I Just can't live a lie

Carnival Ride: Twisted

Play On: Someday When I Stop Loving You, What Can I Say and Unapologize

Blown Away: Wine After Whiskey and Good in Goodbye

Storyteller: Choctaw County Affair and Like I'll Never love you again

Cry Pretty: That Song That We Used To Make Love To and Backsliding

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    I agree with you. I remember when Kelly Clarkson covered it adding her own twist, and I loved her Peoples’ Choice Awards performance... one of her best! think people listed it as underrated, because if it was so acclaimed and well-received then why wasn’t it released as a single? I do have to agree that was a missed opportunity to have another single released (that would’ve made six #1’s most likely from that album)!

Concert Stars
    "You Won't Find This" from Carnival Ride is an underrated gem. Love the melody, the lyrics and the heartfelt delivery.
    hjj, rainbow1, txacar and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    ^ A real favorite of mine!! You won't find this.
    PRGuy79 and txacar like this.

•