Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116
Results 2,301 to 2,317 of 2317
Like Tree6668Likes

Thread: The 53rd CMA Awards

Junior Carrie Follower brenda218's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Wasn't sure where to put this put I actually cried I was laughing so hard.
    Dolly Parton on the Jimmy Fallon show.....

explaining how she got her assets.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

laughed, so funny I cried , she is a hoot.
    Smokyiiis, rainbow1 and txacar like this.

I hope this was her last year hosting this show. This was a epic show as the only host with two legends as guest host, that's how you should retire from hosting, in a epic way. Let the CMA's flop next year.

Carrie is ready to host the Grammys!!

Insane Carrie Fan
    After 2016 losing Entertainer she want back to hosting it with Brad in 2017 so....I believe she be back to host it next year.

Part of me wants her to go back and host with Brad again. I think it would be awesome

But at the same time screw the CMAs they used Carrie for views then snub her in front of the world
    gwade82 likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Even if she was sitting in the audience they would still disrespect her so its a win-lose situation..

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    really ABC uses Carrie for ratings.CMAs just kind of go along.
    Hope she's back at the CMAs as host, but I wouldn't mind her hosting the AMAs, Grammys or BBMAs.

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    really ABC uses Carrie for ratings.CMAs just kind of go along.
    Hope she's back at the CMAs as host, but I wouldn't mind her hosting the AMAs, Grammys or BBMAs.
    That's the thing, maybe other awards shows want Carrie as host but she keeps hosting the CMA's so she can't do other shows. It's a possibility.
    teesharky likes this.

Hil
    Yea, I hope she's back as the CMA host. it's a tradition, and she's the face of country music. Not only that, it's almost the only awards show they let you host for multiple years. Most shows are a one off anymore.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    That's the thing, maybe other awards shows want Carrie as host but she keeps hosting the CMA's so she can't do other shows. It's a possibility.
    no one makes her do the CMAs though, if she wants out to do other shows she can just walk
    Hil and teesharky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    no one makes her do the CMAs though, if she wants out to do other shows she can just walk
    Yes, that's why I want her to stop hosting the cma's, maybe she gets a call from the Grammys.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Do we think any other awards shows have wanted her to host, though? She should host the CMAs if she still wants to, I'd imagine by year she'll be ready to do so again.
    Hil likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Did you notice that all the award shows Carrie was at this year her dresses match the backdrop

Like the Purple dress at the AMA's match the backdrop
    The same with the CMA's Backdrop
    As well as CMT's
    txacar and teesharky like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    The BBC have screened a 90 minute edited version of the CMA awards - I haven't seen all of it yet, but I'd like to say a little about the opening medley, which I really enjoyed!

For those who might not be too familiar with it, the opening song "Those Memories of You" is one of my favourite songs, and a modern classic of Mountain Music, originally from Bill Monroe's repertoire, and usually performed by Bluegrass bands. I wouldn't normally have expected to hear it at today's CMA - but it fits particularly well into the concept of a trio of female hosts - since the best known version was from the first "Trio" album, released in the 1980s by Linda, Dolly, and Emmylou. You can see that version in this video (with the forsaken lover played by the late Kentucky actor, Harry Dean Stanton)

I've known Carrie is open to Mountain Music influence, particularly since hearing "Crazy Dreams", one of her early co-writes. In the CMA performance, she takes the centre role - and I think that decision was exactly right. With all due respect, I don't really think Reba is at her most expressive in this musical style, and although Dolly took the centre role in the original Trio version, Carrie has the more powerful voice. This type of song depends above all on a punching vocal delivery, that manages to both sustain the music and cut through it, with prolonged notes that convey an aching longing. This was only a shortened version of the song - but I think she got the style of delivery and the feel for the lyric exactly right.

Although her duet with Terri Clark on "Better Things to do" was even shorter (and I really wanted to hear more, there), the more honky-tonk style of that song was also well judged. Although Carrie gets most attention (both the praise and the not so appreciative) for her concert stage contemporary power ballads, I think she has a great interpretive feel for a wide range of Country styles - and that makes me all the more keen for her to release a classic covers album one day. Although this would obviously be an "extra" to her main radio and touring emphasis, I think it would tie in well with her Opry loyalty and her stated genre identity, and earn her considerable respect and wider career acknowledgement.

Finally, I noticed Sydni playing fiddle, and Chad playing steel, on the Highwomen's, "You're Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad",Tanya's "Delta Dawn" and Gretchen Wilson's "Red Neck Woman". It shows that Carrie's talented musicians are well suited to handling that range of classic styles

Concert Stars
    Thanks Faraway. Did they show Carrie’s DA performance overseas? Thanks
    oldyfan likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Thanks Faraway. Did they show Carrie’s DA performance overseas? Thanks
    I watched and they showed Carrie’s performance. Good to see Carrie on TV here in England. Wish they broadcast the full show.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Brad Paisley too thought Carrie should had walk way with Entertainer

forevercountry
    @forevercountr14
    ·
    1h

Brad Paisley talks to Hoda Kotb about November’s #CMAs, his friendship with Carrie Underwood and how she should’ve walked away with #EOTY: “It’s long overdue ... it’s about time.” https://twitter.com/i/status/1201585071796473856

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Some further thoughts on the show:

I thought the three host experiment worked best in the opening medley - it was good to see them, but beyond the song they performed together, there didn't seem a great deal of point in all three standing together for some of the introductions. In fact, I thought Carrie (who is, after all, the one with the most active contemporary career) proved fully up to the task of hosting alone, or with occasional presenters - and I would expect her to continue as primary host, as long as she wants to.

She still appeared to have quite a few of the costume changes she's become known for - (for what it's worth, my favourite was the green dress she wore in one scene!).

Turning to the performances, I think there was a good balance, and (although I fully understand and share the frustration and let-down over the awards), overall, I though it was an interesting and entertaining show. My favourites were the two mainly female artist medleys - the opening one in particular, but also the Girl Crush performance. I think the inclusion these two elements managed to convey both the sense of honouring the past greats, and presenting some of the artists who are carrying the genre forward.
    As a Country Rock fan, I also enjoyed the two jams, of Dierks Bentley with Sheryl Crowe, and several strong guitarists; and of Brooks and Dunn with Brothers Osborne.
    Following recent tradition, there were guest spots with singers from the wider Pop scene - I know these are controversial for some fans - but they are an idea I support (my own view is that I welcome artists from outside - i think it can often show respect and admiration for this genre - and on the whole, I prefer this to the alternative crossover of Country artists moving into Pop). I enjoyed Pink's performance in particular.

Unlike many fans, "Drinking Alone" is never likely to rank among my personal favourites from the current album. Neither the vocal arrangement nor the music, for me, seem to reach the standard of several of the other songs - which give a more striking blend of tradition and innovation, but seem to have lost out in the single selections (the title track alone being the standout of this era's singles). If, though, there is some personal regret that both Carrie and Miranda are currently pushing one of the most Pop-influenced songs from their respective albums, you can blame that on my lifelong leaning to the amber waves of twang! Lady Antebellum also performed a mainly Pop number - but this was enlivened for me by the addition of Jerry Douglas' dobro. Jerry is one of my long time musical heroes - and I can't help wishing this had been done on DA too - but the tyranny of radio has apparently led to the cutting of the dobro part on that song
    That said, I admire Carrie for breaking new ground thematically, and for giving an elegant twist to the current preference for R & B influenced radio songs. Also, Carrie's visual interpretation of the song is striking, and her performance was one of the highlights of the evening (shown, for example in the reaction seen from Miranda and her husband, and In Reba's expressive 'wow!' at the conclusion.

Of the other ladies, I thought Kelsie made both a brave and an appropriate choice in performing "Homecoming Queen" acoustically with solo guitar. The genre always needs performances like that, alongside the more forceful vocal she showed in the following Girl Crush medley. To my mind, the genre seems in good hands with her following the current stars. I know that Maren Morris has many fans, and can give a striking stage performance, but both her vocal and her general stylistic leaning have much less appeal for me, I'm afraid. But Kacey's gentle, well enunciated vocal style is also more to my taste, and I thought she did well in helping Willie Nelson through a brave performance which was clearly some strain at this advanced stage of his legendary career. He is a 'national treasure' and we are lucky to still see him actively performing - as we are that Loretta was well enough to attend in the audience with her daughter.
    txacar likes this.

•