• 2 Post By hjj
  • 2 Post By Smokyiiis
  • 1 Post By sco
  • 2 Post By MelissaD
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By txacar

Thread: Why does Carrie dislike playing rodeos

Why does Carrie dislike playing rodeos

In my hometown of Houston, Texas, we have this thing called the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, and nearly every major country star has played it, except Carrie. I wonder why she hasn't played it in her 15 year career. Is it because she's a vegetarian? Or is it because she'd rather be closer to the fans?
    Last edited by Steven77536; 04-18-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    no way of knowing unless she talks about it,but imo it's because she's vegan and against cruelty to animals.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I thought she played a couple of rodeos earlier in her career???

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ she had one scheduled but canceled it I suspect when she actually noticed it on her schedule. Those first couple of years were hectic and point me where to go times for her.
    rainbow1 likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    She did play a t venue that had rodeo during her last time in Australia, I believe.
    mbh and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Ive always been of the belief that she doesn't like rodeos because of possible abuse of animals (in her opinion) and because she's vegan. (she said that in an interview on AI about not liking that she'd grow to love the cattle and then see them off to market)
    rainbow1 and mbh like this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven77536 View Post
    In my hometown of Houston, Texas, we have this thing called the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, and nearly every major country star has played it, except Carrie. I wonder why she hasn't played it in her 19 year career. Is it because she's a vegetarian? Or is it because she'd rather be closer to the fans?
    She’s never said so any answer would be pure speculation. For the most part she is too big for rodeos anyway, the Houston Rodeo is one of the few exceptions to that basic rule.
    mbh likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    You mean her 14-year-career? Let's not age her too much haha. & she's an avid animal rights supporter and activist.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I remember reading an article fairly recently, referring to Houston. The organizers were quoted as saying that they wanted Carrie, as she was the only one who could match the draw of another artist - but they weren't expecting her anytime soon. Whether that was based on her having declined invitations, or whether they were just making an assumption based on her beliefs (as we are doing), I don't know.

Carrie was once filmed riding a mechanical bull, and looking as if she knew what she was doing. She may have learnt this at county fairs, or she may have gone to rodeos when she was younger.

As hjj said, she's played Tamworth, NSW, which does include major rodeo events, though it's a multi faceted festival, and it's possible to treat the different aspects independently.

I think Carrie would be well aware of the importance of rodeos in the genre's traditions and folk lore, but she would probably see it as a matter of personal choice whether or not you attend them. There have been backlashes from people who object to her vegetarian views, on the grounds that they conflict with rural traditions, but that seems to have been at a peak earlier in her career, and I haven't seen much of it recently.

In Country Music, rodeos have a mixed, and bitter-sweet place. Their romantic, spiritual significance, as symbols as the taming of nature, clashes with the feeling that they become addictive and are often associated with loss, loneliness and failure. This is probably the archetypal rodeo song, Ian Tyson's "Old Cheyenne":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qSdWntmnyY

I'm really surprised she hasn't played it. She and John Anderson (of "Swangin' " and "Straight Tequila Night" fame) are the only two country stars who have never played it. You can go to the HLSR website and see the list of past entertainers. Everyone from Roy Acuff to Zac Brown Band has performed there.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven77536 View Post
    I'm really surprised she hasn't played it. She and John Anderson (of "Swangin' " and "Straight Tequila Night" fame) are the only two country stars who have never played it. You can go to the HLSR website and see the list of past entertainers. Everyone from Roy Acuff to Zac Brown Band has performed there.
    A few years ago organizers told my son it was a matter of scheduling and they fully expected she would appear here in the future. Carrie supports education. Every year $20 - 30 million in scholarships is awarded. This year's awards totaled $24 million. That would take precedence over her vegan diet. She could also play to her largest audience. A few weeks ago George Strait's "concert only" audience was 80,400. I hope she doesn't wait too long. Would love to see her in a huge venue while she is still young and drawing great crowds (and I'm still young enough to get there, lol). Exciting thought!!
    rainbow1 likes this.

•