Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849
Like Tree2591Likes

Thread: 2019 ACM's

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    No! I literally said "I don't really care what "critics" say, after all they are just like 20 or 30 people." What I'm saying here is that they are 20 or 30 people that liked her album, it's their preference and nothing else. I don't know how you come out with Grammys discussion here. Lol

And no, Carrie doesn't need the critics to "win these big awards" because critics don't vote for the Grammys.
    I'm sure there are more than 20 to 30 critics in all of music. Maybe they only showed 20-30 reviews in the Metacritic score, but no way there are at most 30 critics in the entire music industry, and that only 30 like Kacey's albums. I brought up the Grammys because, yes critics are a part of the voting committee. They are not the whole group of course, but they do vote. Also, in addition to the critics, Kacey's peers voted her album Album of the Year, she had many more than 30 critics on her side. So, yes, if we want Carrie to win Abum of the Year, she'll need those 30 plus thousands more voters to be on board.
    brenda218 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    I'm sure there are more than 20 to 30 critics in all of music. Maybe they only showed 20-30 reviews in the Metacritic score, but no way there are at most 30 critics in the entire music industry, and that only 30 like Kacey's albums. I brought up the Grammys because, yes critics are a part of the voting committee. They are not the whole group of course, but they do vote. Also, in addition to the critics, Kacey's peers voted her album Album of the Year, she had many more than 30 critics on her side. So, yes, if we want Carrie to win Abum of the Year, she'll need those 30 plus thousands more voters to be on board.
    You keep telling me that Kacey won AOTY and I already know that, everybody vote for her and it's fine, I never said otherwise.

And again, critics are journalists, they can't vote for the Grammys!

"There are three ways to be eligible to apply as a voter, according to the online membership application:

Have 12 tracks currently available for digital purchase online, with one track released in the last five years.
    Have 6 tracks currently available for physical purchase in U.S. stores, with one track released in the last five years.
    Been nominated for a Grammy Award in the last five years."

Last time I checked journalists were not singers. Carrie doesn't need critics to win.

This is my last post about this.
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower FanSince04's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    You seem to continue to think that I take every part of someone's quote and never want to expand on it. That is how a person converses. The point was made that basically Kacey only had the support of 20-30 critics that thought her album was great. That's blatantly false. She had widespread support, she won an ACM, CMA and two Grammys including the biggest award of all "Album of the Year". So, making the point that you don't like Kacey's album is fine, but to say critics don't matter, because it's only 20-30 people is just false. So, please, let me have conversations with people and don't worry about what I'm quoting, because I know what I am doing.
    Nope, not true. simonplay literally said “critics” and you said “grammy voters”. We are not engaging in an argument over this lol. Quote people correctly, using their exact words, and I won’t point that out. Sorry, conversation ended.
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower FanSince04's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    No! I literally said "I don't really care what "critics" say, after all they are just like 20 or 30 people." What I'm saying here is that they are 20 or 30 people that liked her album, it's their preference and nothing else. I don't know how you come out with Grammys discussion here. Lol

And no, Carrie doesn't need the critics to "win these big awards" because critics don't vote for the Grammys.
    Dude you’re wasting your time “conversing” with adam1995. adam1995 clearly is not on the same page as you. You can explain all day why you feel you’re right with valid reason, but adam1995 sees through one perspective and will continue to say the very same thing over and over. You don’t have to take my advice, but I wanted to share. Mind you, adam1995 will comment on this telling me it’s conversing and not arguing. adam1995 might even say I don’t have to comment. That’s what I’ve basically been getting. Good luck to you though!

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    But why have to lower keys and/or force yourself into early retirement when you can just make some simple adjustments in your vocal habits and technique that, not only will help sustain your voice through a longer duration of time, but even give it an extra boost in its capabilities?? Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me to ever settle for less than what you're capable of, especially if you love and take pride in your craft. I actually don't think that's smart at all.
    No, there's no urgent cause for concern RIGHT NOW, but it's a very gradual process and Martina is proof of it. That's why Martina said she wished she had received proper training when she was younger; Her voice is pretty much unsalvageable at this point due to such severe damage. I'm thinking in the long term.
    I agree. I want Carrie to maintain her voice and belt for most of her life. I want Carrie to learn the correct vocal technique and correct placement of larynx (neutral or down position) while belting to prevent vocal cord nodules and produce even better, fuller belt with less strain. Carrie is a vocal belter at heart. She is naturally equipped to belt very well. All those high powerful notes are all full voice. Occasionally, she used falsetto to emphasize sadness. Carrie is one of those lucky people born with a great belting voice from day 1. Carrie is a very aggressive singer. Melissa is concern that overuse and wrong vocal technique might cause rigidity in the larynx in the long term which will make it difficult for Carrie to get to the high notes. No one has ever had a voice like Carrie and country music is likely to never witness such a powerful one ever again. And ONLY Carrie sounds Carrie. Cheers!!!
    MelissaD and Smokyiiis like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by mbh View Post
    I agree. I want Carrie to maintain her voice and belt for most of her life. I want Carrie to learn the correct vocal technique and correct placement of larynx (neutral or down position) while belting to prevent vocal cord nodules and produce even better, fuller belt with less strain. Carrie is a vocal belter at heart. She is naturally equipped to belt very well. All those high powerful notes are all full voice. Occasionally, she used falsetto to emphasize sadness. Carrie is one of those lucky people born with a great belting voice from day 1. Carrie is a very aggressive singer. Melissa is concern that overuse and wrong vocal technique might cause rigidity in the larynx in the long term which will make it difficult for Carrie to get to the high notes. No one has ever had a voice like Carrie and country music is likely to never witness such a powerful one ever again. And ONLY Carrie sounds Carrie. Cheers!!!
    Country has many amazing female vocalists and it'd be a shame if they didn't get some more really soon. The current vocalists are getting older or losing their voice. There is no reason why country cannot witness a powerful voice like Carrie again. The industry just has to give more women a chance and hopefully in the upcoming decade, they decide to lighten up. But, seriously. I need another Faith/LeAnn/Carrie/Martina stat.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by FanSince04 View Post
    Dude you’re wasting your time “conversing” with adam1995. adam1995 clearly is not on the same page as you. You can explain all day why you feel you’re right with valid reason, but adam1995 sees through one perspective and will continue to say the very same thing over and over. You don’t have to take my advice, but I wanted to share. Mind you, adam1995 will comment on this telling me it’s conversing and not arguing. adam1995 might even say I don’t have to comment. That’s what I’ve basically been getting. Good luck to you though!
    Honestly, I don't think adam1995 is as bad as he appears. Once again, wasn't here to see any drama that happened between you guys in the past. But, I think adam1995 meant,
    But, There are thousands of Grammy voters, lol!
    Not that he was changing the topic to the Grammys, he was just pointing out how there were more than just 20-30 critics opinions to go off of, as well as expanding on from my conversation. Calm down people. Let's try to understand what each other is actually saying instead of getting defensive and making an issue out of nothing. This really isn't as difficult to get as it seems. But, I gotta sleep now. Take it easy and see ya later.
    adam1995 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Also, I'm not fully sure how the Grammy's operate. But, the sometimes (mostly?) biased opinions of those 20-30 critics might have a significant effect on how people view the album and possibly how the Grammy's vote. So, it could possibly help some artists win.
    adam1995 likes this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    There is no reason why country cannot witness a powerful voice like Carrie again. The industry just has to give more women a chance and hopefully in the upcoming decade, they decide to lighten up.
    I HOPE so. During my early twenties in 1980s, I kept on saying we will never witness such great voices of Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson ever again. Some people were saying, "there is no reason we will not witness another one again". Until now, those voices never exist yet. I am not saying that my prediction is always perfect. MAYBE, someday those types of voices might come out from other artists.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    this thread has veered completely off topic, get back on or it's being closed

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Insane Carrie Fan
    You keep telling me that Kacey won AOTY and I already know that, everybody vote for her and it's fine, I never said otherwise.

And again, critics are journalists, they can't vote for the Grammys!

"There are three ways to be eligible to apply as a voter, according to the online membership application:

Have 12 tracks currently available for digital purchase online, with one track released in the last five years.
    Have 6 tracks currently available for physical purchase in U.S. stores, with one track released in the last five years.
    Been nominated for a Grammy Award in the last five years."

Last time I checked journalists were not singers. Carrie doesn't need critics to win.

This is my last post about this.
    My apologies, I thought critics were allowed to vote. I was wrong. However the point remains, more than just critics like Kacey.
    brenda218 likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by FanSince04 View Post
    Nope, not true. simonplay literally said “critics” and you said “grammy voters”. We are not engaging in an argument over this lol. Quote people correctly, using their exact words, and I won’t point that out. Sorry, conversation ended.
    Please block me. I will be blocking you, because I can't converse with you anymore.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Probably the wrong thread, but as the ACM one has been closed, I'll reply to the above, here

I can't find many performances on YouTube, so I certainly don't think they've all been uploaded. I think, at present, it depends on the artist opting to do it - at least, both the Reba and the George Strait examples that I found were uploaded to those artists' own channels

Reba McEntire, "Freedom"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pk2FH5vIzw

George Strait, "God and Country Music"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO7o1e8vMOI

George Strait, featuring Miranda Lambert, "Run"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xDq5IWozqk

If your interested in Chris & Morgane Stapleton (who, like Carrie, unexpectedly performed a song which was apparently not a current single), audio only is available - (there is a background visual clip, but it's stock footage, not a proper performance video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHoe2i7Kz4g

Ashley McBryde, "Girl Going Nowhere" - not an official video, but a fan upload - interesting for the emotional reaction (though nothing will top her triumphant Opry debut, for me)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ1e0v7aGpY

One I'm really keen to see, but which isn't available (at least not when I looked) would be Dierks Bentley and Brandi Carlile, “Travelin' Light.” But in this video, you can at least hear them discussing bringing Progressive Bluegrass from Telluride to the ACMs!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nJbbuT7WfQ
    mbh, rainbow1 and ethelu like this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    In my review of the Cry Pretty album, I said that I thought "Southbound" showed some slight Cajun influence. Playing it again a few times, I'm standing by that. Given the fact that Carrie made references to Hank Williams in a couple of other songs on the album, I would guess that some part of the inspiration for "Southbound" may have come from Hank's 1952 song "Jambalaya" (which was also a light-hearted holiday song, was based on a traditional Cajun melody, but also made considerable adaptations to then contemporary Anglo-American mainstream taste). Carrie does like to use deeper references to musical tradition in her work, even if they are overlaid by other elements. This is the song - I think many might say the connection is not very evident - and I wouldn't dispute that - but I do think there are similarities in the fundamental musical line, and I think that was probably deliberate.

WOW! Flashback moment to me. Carrie's tribute performance to Bob Wills of "San Antonio Rose" and tribute to Don Henly of the Eagles, "Desperado" during 2007 Grammy Awards and Carrie won Best New Artist Awards of the Grammy (all genre). First country artist in a decade to win the award and the second country artist to win the award in the 54-year history of the Grammy Awards.
    rainbow1 and Smokyiiis like this.

•  
    Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849