• 8 Post By Farawayhills
  • 6 Post By Smokyiiis
  • 4 Post By rcramer
  • 3 Post By Kizmet311
  • 5 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Cry Pretty's win in Lyric Mag's on-line poll

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Cry Pretty's win in Lyric Mag's on-line poll

This was a fun contest, run by UK enthusiasts - rather than an "official" organization award - but I think it was interesting, and worth posting.

Lyric Magazine is a UK based on-line web magazine, founded by Emily Haine, which includes news, interviews, podcasts, playlists, etc. It promotes Country Music here, with a special focus on the songwriting aspect.

The contest, voted on Twitter, started with 12 songs, and had three rounds

In the first round, Cry Pretty had a relatively easy win, with 75% of the votes, to Cole Swindell's "Break Up" with 22% and Keith Urban's "Parallel Line" with 3%

In the semi-final, Carrie had a tougher fight, winning more narrowly with 57% to Scotty McCreery's "Five More Minutes" with 43%

In the final, Carrie faced Cam's "Diane" (which has been popular here, and had earlier seen off Ashley McBride's "American Scandal" - a strong song by a highly acclaimed newcomer - in the semi finals)
    Carrie won the final more straightforwardly by 75% to 25%

So, although this was only a small contest, by a well-informed and quite dedicated audience, I think it bodes well for Cry Pretty here (In my opinion, CP is a more complex and more adventurously structured song than Diane, which is certainly catchy and emotional, but tends to be rather hook-dependent and repetitive)

Concert Stars
    Don’t know about anyone else but it’s exciting to me! Thanks for sharing Faraway
    DizzyDollyDee, txacar, Hil and 3 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Very interesting read...... And for what its worth, that Ashley McBryde, what a unique singer.... Reminds me of Lorrie Morgan..... Also what a great writer she is.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Awesome!!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    This was a fun contest, run by UK enthusiasts - rather than an "official" organization award - but I think it was interesting, and worth posting.

Lyric Magazine is a UK based on-line web magazine, founded by Emily Haine, which includes news, interviews, podcasts, playlists, etc. It promotes Country Music here, with a special focus on the songwriting aspect.

The contest, voted on Twitter, started with 12 songs, and had three rounds

In the first round, Cry Pretty had a relatively easy win, with 75% of the votes, to Cole Swindell's "Break Up" with 22% and Keith Urban's "Parallel Line" with 3%

In the semi-final, Carrie had a tougher fight, winning more narrowly with 57% to Scotty McCreery's "Five More Minutes" with 43%

In the final, Carrie faced Cam's "Diane" (which has been popular here, and had earlier seen off Ashley McBride's "American Scandal" - a strong song by a highly acclaimed newcomer - in the semi finals)
    Carrie won the final more straightforwardly by 75% to 25%

So, although this was only a small contest, by a well-informed and quite dedicated audience, I think it bodes well for Cry Pretty here (In my opinion, CP is a more complex and more adventurously structured song than Diane, which is certainly catchy and emotional, but tends to be rather hook-dependent and repetitive)
    Not to bust your bubble, but since the poll was on Twitter, I think anyone, anywhere could vote on it. I'm pretty sure that I voted in that poll as well. Perhaps the majority of the voters were from the UK, but I do know the poll was being retweeted by Carrie fans from all over.
    rainbow1, Hil and DizzyDollyDee like this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    OK - another bubble duly burst, lol! (Never underestimate the power of fan wars!)

Some features of the poll still struck me as interesting though - the relatively strong support for Ashley McBryde, who probably still lacks a high level of established Mainstream fan support - and the low support for Keith Urban's (3%) and FGL's (4%) crossover-leaning songs. (Perhaps some fan bases got the message more than others)

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    OK - another bubble duly burst, lol! (Never underestimate the power of fan wars!)

Some features of the poll still struck me as interesting though - the relatively strong support for Ashley McBryde, who probably still lacks a high level of established Mainstream fan support - and the low support for Keith Urban's (3%) and FGL's (4%) crossover-leaning songs. (Perhaps some fan bases got the message more than others)
    That was what I thought was interesting also...... A total shame that ALDBID did not even get into the Top 10 let alone a shot at number# 1. Great Great song IMO.....

•