View Poll Results: Which Carrie lead single is your favorite?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jesus Take The Wheel

7 12.73%
  • So Small

2 3.64%
  • Cowboy Casanova

3 5.45%
  • Good Girl

4 7.27%
  • Something in the Water

20 36.36%
  • Smoke Break

1 1.82%
  • Cry Pretty

18 32.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Which Carrie lead single is your favorite?

Which Carrie lead single is your favorite?

Which Carrie lead single is your favorite?

I added SITW, because technically it's the lead single for the GH.

Also, if you can, please post below your ranking of her lead singles from most favorite to least favorite.

Thanks!

Edit: My ranking of the lead singles:
    1. Cry Pretty
    2. Something in the Water
    3. Jesus Take the Wheel
    4. Good Girl
    5. So Small (I would've ranked it higher had they toned down the production. I LOVE the worktape version included in the GH)
    6. Cowboy Casanova
    7. Smoke Break (sorry Donna lol)

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Oh this is a hard one! Mainly because I have been so in love with SITW since the day it came out - it's still my ringtone on my cell. BUT, Cry Pretty just has every single element you could hope for in a Carrie song. I mean it goes all the way from her vulnerable lower register and builds to her just showing off her power and that falsetto at the end! My love for SITW won't let me unseat it's place at #1 just yet, so I'm going to have to declare it a tie for now! SITW and CP for the win!

Maybe someday soon CP will officially take over as #1, but to me the two songs just show the best sides of Carrie. SITW is the Carrie we have known and loved for over a decade - declaring her faith loud and proud and it's just such a joyous song that can make you feel good and it gave me such goosebumps the first time I heard it. Then CP is this new, vulnerable, open side of Carrie that she is sharing with us and it just tugs at my heart and makes me just want to cry with her. It's like those two songs express Carrie at her highs and her lows, so yes, I stand by the fact that for me they are tied for #1!
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Definitely for me it's Cry Pretty. I love love love Something in the water, Jesus Take The Wheel and So Small too but they don't compare to my love for Cry Pretty. Because it's more intimate, you can feel her.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    too early with CP to decided, but it's high on the list.
    CP definitely has my fav. lead single lead line...that "I'm sorry, I'm just a girl"...killer

so let me think about it a few days

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    too early with CP to decided, but it's high on the list.
    CP definitely has my fav. lead single lead line...that "I'm sorry, I'm just a girl"...killer

so let me think about it a few days

Agree. I didn't set a time limit for the poll in case other members would like to rethink their choice once the excitement of getting CP has plateaued.

....Though I can't imagine my love for CP wearing off. lol :-)
    rainbow1, maddkat, Hil and 1 others like this.

Hmm... I don't really want to rank CP now because it's too fresh. Let's see how well it ages.

My guess is that CP is in my top 3, along with So Small and Good Girl.

Least favourite is Cowboy Casanova. Smoke Break is boring.... But I don't dislike it, just don't mind it lol. I actually skip CC, it doesn't age well at all.

(Extremely unpopular opinion: Carrie oversang SITW. Too loud, unnecessarily....)

I have such an emotional connection to JTTW so this is a tough one for me... I also think that SS is very underrated but because of the CMT thing with the video it was over saturated and was subject to a huge hate campaign.. But the song holds up well even if it was a little over produced... However I live life in the present and CRY PRETTY is her MAGNUM OPUS and by far my favorite so far!

Cry Pretty is my favorite because I relate to this song a lot.

- Cry Pretty

- Jesus Take The Wheel/Something In The Water (can't choose between these 2. Really like them equally. Sorry can't choose)

- Smoke Break

- So Small

- Good Girl

- Cowboy Casanova
    Hil, rainbow1 and Claire2004 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    “Jesus, Take The Wheel” gets my vote. It’s a classic. It was the beginning of everything for Carrie.
    rainbow1, Hil, Claire2004 and 2 others like this.

Concert Stars
    That was tough

1. Cry Pretty (I will never get over that ACM performance and it sealed it for me)
    2. Something In The Water (that was tough to put at #2)
    3. Jesus, Take The Wheel
    4. Cowboy Casanova
    5. Good Girl
    6. So Small
    7. Smoke Break
    Kizmet311, Claire2004 and Hil like this.

Hil
    I liked everyone's post because I truly loved hearing all of your opinions on these songs. I LOVE them all for different reasons. Obviously, JTTW will always be a favorite because it was the first, and there's something so special about it. SIITW really speaks to Carrie's faith and her vocals are amazing. So Small is sort of my theme song because i worry about anything and everything. Good Girl bop's, and I've always loved CC, reminds me of something we would have heard in the Shania era. I did vote for Cry Pretty because Carrie's such a rock queen, and this style is perfect for her, not to mention the lyrics and her performance of the song. Anyway, I love them all.

Junior Carrie Follower wonderboy's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I loved So Small instantly...the other is now Cry Pretty!
    Hil likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    1) Good Girl (I think this will for always be the best lead single!)
    2) Cowboy Casanova
    3) So Small
    4) Something In The Water
    5) Cry Pretty
    6) Jesus Take The Wheel
    7) Smoke Break
    Hil and Carrieslegs84 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Cry pretty. I feel like we are finally seeing the side of Carrie that she tries to keep out of the media.
    rainbow1, Carrieslegs84 and Hil like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by countrymusicfan15 View Post
    1) Good Girl (I think this will for always be the best lead single!)
    2) Cowboy Casanova
    3) So Small
    4) Something In The Water
    5) Cry Pretty
    6) Jesus Take The Wheel
    7) Smoke Break
    Your number one is my number one as well,1.Good Girl!!
    2.Cry Pretty-I know it may be a little soon for this one to be so high,but I loved this song from the very beginning and that falsetto still gets me at the end of the song!!
    3.Something in the Water
    4.Cowboy Casanova
    5.Smoke Break
    6.Jesus Take The Wheel
    7.So small
    It was so hard to pick a favorite so I just chose them at random.So hard to pick a favorite Carrie song when they’re all so good!!

Concert Stars
    1. Something in the Water
    2. Good Girl
    3. Jesus Take the Wheel
    4. Cowboy Casanova
    5. So Small
    6. Smoke Break

7. Cry Pretty

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Cry Pretty is#1 for me, then Smoke Break.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    (If you don't mind, Claire, I'd rather leave out SITW. I can see why you included it, but to me it just doesn't seem like a lead single. It's a great song - but more in the nature of a isolated "special" number, which doesn't lead into any new body of album work)

Here are my thoughts on the others The first three are very close, and hard to rank against each other - they lead into what I see (or hope to see, in the case of number 3) as her most stylistically adventurous and progressive albums.

1. Good Girl.
    I'll always be in awe of this song, for its boldness and complexity. I was rather surprised to hear Carrie say it was the last song she wrote in that era, when the album was almost finished. For me it seems the perfect introduction to what amounts, for me, to almost a second stage in her career, when much of her work seemed more experimental. It's almost as if, the album being almost finished, she felt 'what the heck, I'm going to go for this, whether people expect it or not'
    Her vocal in this track probably comes closest to what I've wanted to hear from her. It's powerful but without the "big voice", polished "concert stage" tone of many of her vocals - it has more delicately phrased passages (like the goodbye shoes part), but these fit in well with the raw attack that is the prevailing impression of her delivery. Musically, the song is complex, and comes the closest she's been to Texas Blues & Rock - the ending seems a little reminiscent of Janis Joplin hypothetically meeting Stevie Ray Vaughan!

2 Smoke Break.
    I love this song - it is helped by having my all-time favourite Carrie video. (For me, her videos sometimes stray too far into imaginative glamour sequences and story extensions that distract from the song - but this one filled in the images that I felt in the song so well that they seemed a perfectly integrated creation.) But even without the video, this is one of Carrie's best songs. Although she's dealt with realism before, this seemed her most sympathetic and personally involved identification with the struggles of everyday life. The verse and chorus structure are well planned, and the vocal allows her to express range, without overwhelming the fundamentally gritty nature of the theme. Add to that the fact that this song took her back to her earlier days as an instrumentalist, and it seemed a great introduction to the 'rock twang' she wanted the album to express. The song also contradicts the 'typical' image of Carrie that some in the format have tried to stereotype her into, and it shows both her independence and her understanding of the greater depth that contemporary radio often needs.

3. Cry Pretty.
    It's hard to judge any song as a lead single, without knowing the body of album work it's going to lead into - but Carrie has said that the album will be "soulful, real and raw", and this song has enough elements to sugest that this may prove to be one of her best albums yet. I've said in other threads that I find the best parts to be the stark and vulnerable opening, and the latter part of the song, with its blend of vocal and instruments expressing desperation and depth of emotion, in what becomes often a stream of monosyllables, and sometimes even a wordless wail. Together, these make up a large part of the song, and amount to new ground for Carrie, matching her description of what the album will show. The song also includes a section, building up to and expressing the title phrase, which I find both less innovative, and rather less interesting, suggesting the heavy production and chorus emphasis that has been a characteristic of much of Carrie's work. However, this could also be a smart move for a lead single, reassuring fans that elements they love are still present (though I would not want them to predominate on the album)

4. Jesus Take the Wheel.
    Stylistically and lyrically, this probably doesn't typify the very varied album that followed - but that would understate its importance. More than being just the lead single for an album, this was virtually the lead single for Carrie's whole major label career - and as that, I think, it was an inspired choice. The message in it seems to reflect much of how we might think Carrie herself sees life and its endeavours. It also links her thematically into Country Music, where there is a long tradition of spiritual songs - but is also a bold choice for a new artist, since it sidesteps the more glitzy Idol image, and does not play safe by compromising its subject matter for the expectations of the very varied audience that had followed her.

5. So Small
    This was the first of the lead singles that Carrie co-wrote, and it reflected the importance she attached to power songs, mixing a very strong delivery with a generalized inspirational message. In that sense, I think the song worked - though I did find the production on the heavy side, with the sonic elements rather overwhelming the moral of the lyric. I really only fully felt the meaning of the song when Carrie performed it in the CMA's Songwriter series, with just Shawn's guitar accompaniment. The purity of her vocal, interpreting a song she'd helped create, reached a level not always evident on her early albums.

6. Cowboy Casanova
    Catchy, and well suited to radio demands, this probably fitted the bill as an album lead. The video proved to be more memorable than the album track - the dance hostess setting was a bold choice, referencing the traditional honky-tonk angels motif, but also showing that Carrie was quite prepared to show range and sophistication in the image she portrayed. But, standing alone, the song itself was not one I found particularly strong, either musically or lyrically, and rather lacking in depth or development.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    ^ We’ll always have our love for Good Girl in common!!
    Farawayhills likes this.

Carrie Follower
    1. Cry Pretty
    2. Something in the Water
    3. So Small
    4. Jesus Take the Wheel
    5. Smoke Break
    6. Good Girl
    7. Cowboy Casanova

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast